Noob Question

80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Casey Arnold
Noob Question

Post by Casey Arnold » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:26 am

Hello GCK,

New to the forum and to kart racing and seeking some advice. From what I read so far, it’s wise to buy a used kart before making the investment into a competitive set up. Well, I found a used kart, looks like a decent deal, but wanted to get some expert input. I eventually want to compete, so my logic is to buy this kart for the decent power plant and when the time comes, I can upgrade to a modern chassis..?? Another concern is, can I buy parts for the thing? I can’t seem to find much information on the chassis. He wants $2800… what do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here’s the kart…
“2005 Avanti (Parolin) shifter chassis with a fresh Tm K9 ICC motor. The chassis is straight and has never been bent. The motor is a TM K9 with aprox. 5 Hrs since rebuild. The Kart is well sorted and very fast. Mitch Wright drove it last weekend and can attest to how well it runs.”

Scott Boone
The master poster

Re: Noob Question

Post by Scott Boone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:03 am

Parts are available for the k9b motor and it is a very good motor. Run it rich and it will last a long time. Also service the clutch frequently. All you have to do is inspect the disks and rotate them so that you move the worn disks to the middle etc.
I dont know about parts for the avanti. Generic parts should fit and you can generally fix what you break so dont worry too much about it. The price is much less than a more competitive stock shifter or better chassis so why not. If you went out and bought the best chassis and the best motor etc, you have lots of work ahead of you to beat the other shifters on a typical race day so why not get something affordable and see if you like it.
One thing that is a must is a very good rib protector. Never drive without it. I recommend you get a hard shell rib protector. That is a must. Good luck with your decision.

Casey Arnold

Post by Casey Arnold » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 am

Awesome, thanks to the quick reply Scott. Rib protector is added to the list. I’m going to look for a PDF download from maintenance procedures on that motor, I should be alright if I can find one.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:07 pm

+1 on Scott's info. I agree on the thinking of starting "small" so to speak. Even if you bought all the trickest stuff out you have a steep learning curve with a shifter. Especially if it's your first kart. You're better off using the affordable package to learn and decide from there. Hate to see someone spend a big chunk only to become discouraged after a few times on track. Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I think our club members are always willing to help or try to get an answer.

Should be pretty easy to find generic parts that will fit the Avanti.

Casey Arnold

Post by Casey Arnold » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm going into this solo, all my friends are occupied by SCCA/drag cars, so I will appreciate some guidance and help getting into the sport.

On that note, I would like to get aquatinted with the kart, kind of take it slowly and learn it's limits. Is there a time I can do this at the track without getting in the way of other drivers? What's the best way to do this?

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 pm

If you are a member you can visit the track on any off day that the motorcycles don't have it rented. You could also come on a race day but would probably have to run after the races. There are a lot of folks out on off days so you can probably get some help. Not always sure if it will be a shifter but everybody is pretty helpful no matter what class.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Casey Arnold

Post by Casey Arnold » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks Brad. Is the course lit? Where can I learn about the regulations and race etiquette? I want to make it out there when the track is least populated, when is the best time for that?

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 am

No, no lights. Maybe someday. At the bottom of the home page are a couple of links for race day procedures and driver rules that are good sources of your basic info. I would guess a weekday during the day will find the least amount of other drivers there. Weekends could be pretty busy, but still doable even for someone new. Usually everyone rotates track time somewhat and it works out pretty well.

Casey Arnold

Post by Casey Arnold » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Picked up that kart today in Lafayette, and played with it for the majority of the afternoon at Moore race park. I have to say, I underestimated these machines. It was great. Once I got used to it and was able to stay in the power band, it was a blast. Look forward to the katy track!