Making a comeback?????

Forum for all other classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Gary Percival
Making a comeback?????

Post by Gary Percival » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:03 am

saw two out at the track yesterday, one with a pipe and one with a can. Might have saw one more. Thought I caught a glimse of a Yamaha head going past the bleachers. Hey, I like the new location of the bleachers now!!! And even better when the sun goes down alittle.

Just about got my son's KT up and running. Still having some clutch issues. And Abie told me yesterday he has two others at the shop he is getting ready. So maybe soon we will have 6 or so out there. Maybe they are starting to make a comeback. Cheap and fun entry into karting. Maybe there is something to the west coast and yankees????

Scott Boone
The master poster

I will be there next race

Post by Scott Boone » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:16 pm

I have a new motor that needs to be broken in. Once this is done.......watch out. KT100s rule!

Gary Percival

Post by Gary Percival » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:25 am

saw a Yamaha at the track Sunday that I never seen before but did not see it out on the track. Bought another Yamaha off Ebay for my younger son. Will pick it up this weekend in Austin. Prolly stop on the way back in and try it out at the track.[/img]

Larry Hargett
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Larry Hargett » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:50 am

I know this is the wrong place for a Junior Sportsman topic but since you guy's are talking Yamaha's I though I might jump in on this.

You may see another out next year.

I have two strong KT100's at home and may run a second kart next year with my 11 year old in a Junior Sportsman on a Cadet Chassis. May go HPV-1. Just waiting to see what others are doing next year.

Time to start working on next years deal.

Would like to see the Yamaha classes strong again around here. It's a very user friendly motor to run much like the HPV. I just need to decide!

A few years ago the Yamaha classes were very strong at GCKI, it would be nice to see that again.

David Young
The master poster

Post by David Young » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:36 pm

And another one ...

My daughter (8 yrs) will be at the Nov. 4th race with a Junior Sportsman Yamaha / Cadet chassis...in preparation for next season.

Scott Boone
The master poster

Bring them on!

Post by Scott Boone » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:13 am

Larry,
You know how I feel about this. The goal of most club racers is to race among others with same range of affordable horsepower. Some may think I am cheap for sticking with yamaha but I see no reason to change. Everytime I raced against you or craig or tommy, I had a blast and I dont think I would have had any more fun with 30 percent more horsepower. The leopard is 25 cc more displacement so you can see why they are faster. Everytime I turn around I hear another dad complaining that they had to replace the crank, radiator, starter on their leopard and it cost them $1000 dollars. This is not fun for casual racers.

Re the HPV, It amazes me that locals in Houston are moving to yet another specialty engine. Think about the distrution, International Yamaha vs USA Horstman. Go to google and do a search for yamaha kt100 and then horstman hpv. Go online and you can see 20 large suppliers dealing in every aspect of the Yamaha. They arent doing this because it is an unpopular motor.

I bet you could could build a class of kt100s at katy. Start now for next year. The national racing for kt100 is as strong as ever and the motors are so readily available most anyone can afford a new engine with carb ($600). I won Katy for 2 years with a box stock motor and had fields every race with more than 5. It was a ball.

If you get it together, set a date before race season next year and I will spend a saturday with anyone that owns a kt100 and I will show them everything about setting up the engine. I will also get Joe and Tommy to come and they can give you blueprinting information that will give you all the details for improving performance.

Gary Percival

Post by Gary Percival » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:26 am

Scott anytime you want to get together about the Yamaha lowdown after the season, count me in.

What did you use for clutch? Ryans is piped and has a Steel Nytro I am still trying to get a handle on. The Emmick I just picked up Saturday has a can and Tomar dry clutch but a screwed up starter nut so will be getting another one and take it out this Saturday and try it out for my 13 yr old. Could definently use some pointers on setting the carb.

Scott Boone
The master poster

kt100

Post by Scott Boone » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:30 pm

I went to the track late Sunday to break the engine in. I have a steel nytro and I think it is a 5 disk but not sure. I saw that dundas said he had a 10 80 on his tag and I figure we will need 1 tooth more. I have a 10 80 on the kart now and and will probably go to a 10 82 or 84 etc to experiment. By the way I could not get the dang thing to start. The carb has sat for 6 months with old gas in it and I ran out of daylight before I could it rebuilt.

Gary Percival

Post by Gary Percival » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:37 am

I have 10/80 on my sons piped KT100 with the Steel Nytro. Was at the San Antonio website and saw in there they suggested 10/80 for theirs. So that is what I was gonna start at. Might have to go up or down a teeth or two with the new long straight we have now. Will just have to play with it and see. The canned Emmick for my younger son I see has a 10/91 on it. Will try an 83 and see what happens when I get the new clutch in the mail this week.