Chonda related

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Colin Walker
Rookie Poster
Chonda related

Post by Colin Walker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 am

I write this note to apologise for my attempt to gain a unfair advantge by tuning the engine on the #29 kart using ARC provided parts.
At the end of 2009 the rod on my engine broke which required a complete engine rebuild. I spoke to the helpful people at ARC and they recommended parts they sold which would guarantee a more reliable engine.Having spent 2009 being lapped by the rest of the field I was only too happy to try their suggestions. Unfortunately race 1 2010 made it clear possibly the problem was not with the engine but the driver ! Although now I did not get lapped I was still at least half a lap behind the field.
Fast approaching my 80th birthday [May 19th] I decided it was time to quit competitive racing and take my "racing" pleasure from my antique karts and the Vintage Kart Club.
This past weekend Mike Range,the #24 kart in our group,had to work and could not race his old Road Race kart. Mike you make that old Fulleron rock - don't know how you drive it.Young Blake Kruger had been involved in a shunt in the Feb. 7th meeting which bent his axle on the #7 kart. With my kart available, now I had decided to retire, I offered Blake the oportunity to drive #29.
With his driving skill it soon became apparent, as I feared, there was nothing wrong with my kart and he drove it with such determination that he outpaced the rest of the field.
I want to make it clear that the Krugers' had no way of knowing that my engine was not legal and should not be blamed for my attempt to beat the odds. Ed please accept this as a public apology and I hope this incident will not tarnish our 9 year relationship.
Colin Walker

Rick Miller
The master poster

Re: Chonda related

Post by Rick Miller » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Thank you Colin, I would also like to add to this unfortunate situation. Even though the motor was determined to be illegal and disqualified from yesterdays events, I must let you know I sincerely appreciate your attitude and willingness to help with the completion of the technical inspection. In addition, let me also say it is not the goal of GCKI to DQ competitors during race day, it is rather the goal of the club to ensure to the best of our ability that karts are checked for rule compliance. All of our racers spend large amounts of money and give even more amounts of time and effort to race at our club. We are striving for everyone to have an equal opportunity to drive and race to the best of his or her abilities and to be the best they can be without wondering or thinking someone who placed in front of them at the finish by not adhering to the rules for their particular class. When our racers leave the club on Sunday night I certainly hope the dissscussions are that their driver won or lost because of driver, tactics or chassis set up, not because there was someone with a non compliant race kart. Thanks, Rick Miller

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Colin,

Whatever your position on track in the kart, I find it an inspiration to see someone of your "life experience" still wheeling a kart. I hope I have a few more years before I have to make the decision to hang up the gear but hope that I will find a way to still enjoy the sport. Best wishes.

Scott Boone
The master poster

Post by Scott Boone » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:14 am

I appreciate Colin's post and sympathize with the situation.

Colin Walker
Rookie Poster

Post by Colin Walker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 am

Thank you for your support guys. For the record This "illegal" engine conforms in every way to the American Kart Racing Association requirements for a box stock clone engine, including the billet rod and flywheel which made it "illegal" at Katy. In the interest of safety and durability AKRA specify these items as requirements. See their rules on line. AKRA is the original ruling body for four cycle engine specs. I would suggest like WKA, IKF & SKUSA are considered when GCKI makes their race rules AKRA should be considered [as the oldest ruling body for clone engines] when specifying Chonda rules.
Colin Walker

Colin Walker
Rookie Poster

Post by Colin Walker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 pm

An after thought on the Clone engines. [Had to rush off this a.m. so as not to be late for my YMCA Wednesday classes] My latest coupon from Harbor Freight for the blue engine offers them discounted to $129.90. I would suggest the $160 claiming price should be increased to $200. This would be more realistic and in line with the rising cost of a new engine. It might also discourage any frivolous claim by a disgruntled competitor.
New engine $129.90 at current discounted price
10.72 tax at 8.25%
70.00 2hrs @ $35 hr. for prep. work
Total $210.62
Just a suggestion
Colin

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm

I’ve been holding myself back until now, but you really should have stopped at your first post…

Colin –

Your engine was illegal by the rules that GCKI adopted at the 2010 Annual Meeting which you chose not to attend. You had your shot to have a say in the rules. That being said, your engine is also illegal by AKRA rules for the Box Stock Class. Check the website! Here is an excerpt from the main page americankarting.us :

“Tech Update/Box Stock Project

Any attempt to increase the RPM’s of the BOX STOCK PROJECT engine (example: stronger/non-stock valve springs or decreasing exhaust restriction from stock levels) is strictly prohibited. Should this be allowed or performed, AKRA will mandate the use of an aftermarket Billet style flywheel for high RPM use. ARC currently has these parts in their product line (part #’s 6618/6619) and they are approved by AKRA for use, others may become available as demand increases. Note: Under no circumstance is this type of flywheel allowed in the Box Stock Project Classes, Stock Flywheel ONLY.

Your engine had a billet flywheel ($100-175 depending on if you bought the fixed or adjustable), billet connecting rod ($60), illegal springs($?), and out of spec cam($?). If you had not cheated up the engine by installing stiffer springs and modified cam you would not need the billet flywheel and connecting rod.

I say “your engine had” because it is “my” engine now, along with all your illegal parts. I will gladly pay the $160, minus the $25 going to Rick Miller for his tech time per our rules on protested engines found to be illegal. Your check is in the mail and the engine will be on display to illustrate what is NOT acceptable in our Chonda Class.

If your reference to a “frivolous claim by a disgruntled competitor” is directed at me, then I would suggest you stop spending so much cheating up your engines. The only reason I would be disgruntled is because you have tarnished a class that I have been working hard to promote and keep fair.

The claimer amount is just fine at $160 and the only people that will be affected adversely are those that buy “built engines” and those that cheat. There are frequent posts about specials or coupons from Harbor Freight on this forum, so there is no reason for anyone to pay more than the full retail price of 159.99 minus the easily found 20% coupon. Most times the engines are on special for 129.99 and with 20% off will get you to $104. I will also remind you that March 12-14th the engines will be on sale for $89.99! Maybe you should buy a couple!

Not to beat a dead horse, but you were the first person to purchase an engine from an “engine builder.” You were also the first (and only) person to have an engine failure. We have run our original engine for 16 hours without a hint of problems and have only changed the oil and spark plugs. I’m not saying these cheap engines are bullet proof, but if they are not messed with they appear to hold up pretty well under our racing conditions.

So far we have seen 15 Chondas at GCKI and I know of at least 4 others being built. Chonda will be the largest single class we have running this year and hopefully the most competitive and fun. I will continue to fight hard to keep it that way!

- Bill Choice

Colin Walker
Rookie Poster

Post by Colin Walker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Good evening Bill,
Thank you for your detailed reply to my previous posts and information on cheap engines being offered in March.
Now I have this information please disregard my last post.
I am sure all the Chonda racers appreciate the reminder they can always claim the winning engine for $160.
As a retired Chonda owner I now post my last entry on this subject. I look forward to recieving your check.
Colin Walker

James Thomas
Rookie Poster

Post by James Thomas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:35 pm

It is interesting to see how not complying with the rules of a class plays out from my prespective as a new member. I am very excited to turn my first lap in a race this year and its good to see that it is taken seriously that rules are rules. This class is the ultimate in bringing new people to the sport and creating a even level playing field for all..... cant wait to hone my skills as a driver and learn from the experienced.