The club's first CHONDET

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

John Bartos
The master poster
The club's first CHONDET

Post by John Bartos » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Ashley had a "Chonda" at the top of her birthday list. Fully realizing it was a slower kart than her Rotax - she simply wanted it because of all the "buzz" about this series at the track. We started with a like-new Tony Kart Nordik 1010mm frame. Had it powder coated candy-apple red and applied the requisite pink graphics. Ashley obviously had quite a hand in the graphic design.

I managed to shoe-horn the Chonda engine into the frame. We used a 1-1/2" offset mount. It kept it away from the seat, but as you can see it required quite a cobbling of the bodywork to clear the fan cover.

We did our first laps on the track today - her 8th birthday. It was a blast as Marcia, Ashley and I were all able to run together. Of course, Ashley smoked us any place she wanted to. Without any weight and with no restrictors that little four-stroke has an amazing amount of torque coming out of the turns. With no chassis set-up or gearing optimization and on a rock-hard set of ancient MOJO's she was turning pretty easy 49.5's The motor topped out at about the start-finish line at 5950 RPM, so there was a lot more speed in the kart with a lower than the 59 tooth gear I had on there. I trapped her at 43 miles per hour at the end of the straight - but she hit that speed as I said, right at the stripe and it peaked and held. The fact that the Micro Max hits 57 miles per hour on that same straight, with not a much faster lap time (for Ashley low 46's) shows how much that low end torque pulls these light karts out of the turns.

It'll be a few weeks before we get back out on the track and then I'd like to optimize the kart to see just what kind of time a cadet will turn (a 900 or 950mm chassis would probably be an even quicker set-up). Once we dial in the best lap times, we'll start restricting things back to get to 50-51 second circuits to be consistent with the big runners. We'll work up the rules to ensure as level a playing field we can.

The track was not too bad today, as I was clicking off consistent 51.9's - so if anything it was only a 1/2 second off prime racing.

This really looks to be a nice stepping stone between kid-karts and the faster cadet action. Plus, if our other young racers are anything like Ashley we should have some pretty big fields out there with a number of driver's double-stinting the weekends.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: The club's first CHONDET

Post by Brad Johnson » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:25 am

John,

Happy Birthday Ashley. That is pretty cool graphic work. Who made those for you?

Brad

John Bartos
The master poster

Re: The club's first CHONDET

Post by John Bartos » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:52 am

Brad - Thanks for the b'day wishes for Ashley, I've passed them along.

We get all of our graphics from Margison Graphics. They do an outstanding job of printing - the colors are amazing, and the prices are pretty reasonable. We design the vinyl using Corel Draw (that way everyone gets to have their design exactly the way they want them). Then we simply email the design to the Margisons and a few days later they arrive in the mail.