Chonda class rules

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Bill Choice
The master poster
Chonda class rules

Post by Bill Choice » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 am

We have completed the rules for the GCKI Chonda class. We will be testing these rules for the remaining races this year and will consider modifications at year end if necessary to prepare for next year. Please review the rules and let me know if further clairification is necessary. I have ordered some restrictor plates and will selling them for the 320 and 360 weight classes for $10 (my cost). We did some extensive testing with these weights and restrictors and feel this handicaping method will provide the close racing we all want out of the Chonda class.

Click here for the rules: http://www.racekarts.com/images/stories ... _rules.pdf

I hope to see all you Chonda drivers out on Sunday, I need someone to race!

-Bill

Bill Choice
The master poster

Re: Chonda class rules

Post by Bill Choice » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:27 am

Please make note that the tire requirement for the Chonda class is the same as our Tag classes. Bridgestone YHC or YKC, but new (sticker) tires will not be allowed at qualifying, prefinal, or final. Hopefully this will encourage everyone to use their tires until they are really used. If you are in need of scrub Bridgestones, Scott Boone has a bunch to donate to the Chonda class participants and will have some available at the Sunday race.

If this rule comes as a surprise and you were expecting an open tire rule, I apologize for any misleading information. I have been discussing many options with potential Chonda drivers and had discussed having an open tire rule. This however, would be in conflict with the club chosen spec tire and could introduce unwanted controversy to our new class. Again, sorry if this is a surpirse and make sure to hit up Boone for some scrubs!

- Bill

Scott Boone
The master poster

Post by Scott Boone » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:43 am

I do have scrub yhcs if any new chonda person is lite on tires. Please post on this forum or call me at 713-882-8735 and I will bring extras!!!!! If you have tires mounted and short of time to switch, let me know and I will help you change them out.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:24 am

I have one maybe two sets I can bring for anybody to take off my hands.

James Thomas
Rookie Poster

Post by James Thomas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Hello all, I am probably the newest "chonda" on the block. My parts from ARC and APS are arriving this week and I hope to get everything together in the next two weekends. Last thing on my list is TIRES. What size tires front and rear will I need to buy? Also if anyone has some extra tires I would be happy to make you an offer on them.

Thanks,
James Thomas

James Thomas
Rookie Poster

Post by James Thomas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:34 pm

Got it done. It was a little tricky getting the govenor shaft out but other than that it was easy going. ARC makes quality parts, I was suprised how easily everything fit. Now I just need to get it all mounted and find some tires. Looking forward to meeting the other chonda's and having some good fun.

James Thomas
Rookie Poster

Post by James Thomas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you Eric Meservy for the tires. I am ready to roll in the chonda class and will see ya'll on 2/21.

Brian Traw
The master poster

Post by Brian Traw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Bill and everyone else in this class,

I HAVE MY BOX STOCK CHONDA READY!!!! Do you think I need a restrictor since I lost 6.2 lbs this week.

Traw

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 am

Traw - YOUR engine must first be dropped off at Ricks house for a full diagnostic before coming out to the track! I'm not sure that -6.2 will get you below the 405, but you can bolt on a blue plate just to compensate for your mad skills. I have a smaller restrictor (silver, .425) for Dario! I've decided to add a handicap for skill level! :shock:

Congrats on the weight loss!

James Thomas
Rookie Poster

Post by James Thomas » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:02 pm

I came out Sunday to check out the races....awsome turnout!...also paid for my membership. Since I am totally new to sprint racing I am glad I'm starting with Chonda.....but I am using a a frame that is about 8 years old....the rear axel seemed alot shorter than what most of the karts out there are running for an adult.

What length rear axels are common? I'm thinking I might need to buy a longer one...the one I have now is 36"
Will this really have a big impact on handling? Should I buy a longer axel?

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Post by Eric Meservey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:58 am

With 7.1 wide tires installed, and 7" rims, you should measure 54-55 inches wide at the rear. Depending on design, and hub length installed, you should have about 1.5" of axle inside the hubs on each end at 55" width.

If you are using 6" wide rims, you may need long hubs to achieve both the 55" width, and 1.5" engagement on the axle.

The axles are typically 1020mm, or 1040mm long from end to end with no hubs.

Some pics of your chassis, as well as the model might help us make more creative suggestions. Unless it's a cadet or something weird, all the axles are approximately the same lengths, but they come in many various stiffnesses.

Eric

Scott Boone
The master poster

Post by Scott Boone » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:32 am

James,
Dont worry about the axle etc etc. I recommend that you focus some attention on checking the brakes. You dont want leaks etc. You can generally take them apart, clean them or hone them if needed then reassemble and get the air out and they will be good to go. Very little expense to get them operating in tip top shape. Then put an engine on it and have some fun first then worry about axles and tuning etc. later. When you are out at the track for the first time, dont hesitate to find an experienced driver and ask them to take it for a spin and make some recommendations. You have some learning to do before you are at the front of the pack so dont invest in axles etc etc till you get some seat time.

Have fun
Scott

James Thomas
Rookie Poster

Post by James Thomas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:40 am

Thanks Scott, I'll take your advice and just get some seat time before I start changing things.

-James