Chonda Class

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Scott Prejean
Loud Mouth Poster
Chonda Class

Post by Scott Prejean » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:21 pm

This is for all the old farts and fat guys and your lovely wives :mrgreen: who would like to race, but don't really want to go fast. OMC is putting together a class that I would love to see the Katy dad's and mom's get into. Harbor Freight sells a 6.5HP Chinese Honda (Chonda)knock off motor called a Greyhound for about $140 (or we could really go for it with the 11.5hp for around $300) and mount a MAX-Torque clutch on it for about $50, no mods, spec gears, and a set weight. We will let Brian Traw determine the minimum weight when we get him and his kart weighed, nobody else should be that heavy!!!!!!!!!! :lol: The racers take an old bent, beat, or generally junk chassis and just have a good time. The karts are not fast by any means, but we should be able to keep up with the kid karts. Bill Choice and I talked about it some at the SWRC and would like to get as many people as we can just to have some fun and swap some paint. :twisted: I know all who participated in the dad's rental kart challenge Friday night at OMC had a blast so chime in. I know we have some competitive parents who would enjoy getting out on the track.

Scott
Scott Prejean

Brian Traw
The master poster

Re: Chonda Class

Post by Brian Traw » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:33 pm

no more fat kid jokes! I'm in!!!!!!I will be the authorized sealing chonda dealer. NO MODS ALLOWED, must have chonda passport(Harbor Freight Reciept), Spec fuel is 87 octane pump gas, kart must pass safety inspection and driver must pay standard entry. AS FOR THE WEIGHT???????????????? I will let you know.

The Fat Kid

kyle Anderson

Post by kyle Anderson » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm in, but we need to do Traw's weigh in fast because he's on a diet. I can think of a few old racers that might come out of the wood work for this...Mark my words......This class will have more cheating than any other.....But I'm still in.

Ray Aguirre
The master poster

Post by Ray Aguirre » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:14 pm

kyle Anderson wrote:......This class will have more cheating than any other.....But I'm still in.
Thats when you make the rule of being able to trade motors.
Last weekend at TWS in the shifter 125 stock class we all had our ignition box taken away and put into a shuffle box before the first race. Then they shuffled them out and handed us someone elses box and that is what we raced with. That way the "suspicious" box or boxes end up in someone elses hands. None of us had a problem with that... and I was as slow as always anyway!! :lol: At least I know it's not the "box".

So in the Chonda class you bring your race ready motor, they get shuffled and you race.

Scott Prejean
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Scott Prejean » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:34 pm

I agree with the motor issue. Bill and I discussed numbering the motors and storing them at the track and on race day you draw for it, that way we can guarantee everyone is stock. It may be easier for us to figure up the exact cost of the motor and clutch (around $200) so that who ever wants to race just puts up the money. I can order the parts and have them available for the September work day and we will put them together at the track. The only thing the driver brings is his own motor mount due to varying chassis sizes. OMC knows the pattern and can tell us what we need to buy or maybe 3G could help us out. If we want to try to have the first race in September we need to talk it up with everybody and make it happen. I can see a 12-15 driver feild if we do this right. It will be great fun for us and a money maker for the track.
Scott Prejean

Scott Boone
The master poster

Post by Scott Boone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Rodney told me about the chonda at swrc at katy and I have not been able to find them at harbor freight. I have been looking for it but have not found them. If anyone finds a link please post it

Scott Prejean
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Scott Prejean » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 am

Here's the link for the motor - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=66015. Rodney has the Max Torque 13 tooth clutch for $38.50.
Scott Prejean

Brian Traw
The master poster

Post by Brian Traw » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 pm

does any one have a 1/4 npt male fitting that will adapt to the chonda carb. I bought my motor today and a little insurance to make sure nobody can out run me on the straight.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Prejean
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Scott Prejean » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm ordering my clutch and motor mount from OMC today and picking up a motor this weekend. We'll deal with the rules of motor swaps and cheating before the first race. I gotta get some track time and figure out where to mount the NITROUS!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Scott
Scott Prejean

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm sure I'll weigh in more than Traw, so yall better have some lead to add to your karts! (or you can give me the cheater engine!) Let me know what to order and I'll have mine ready to go!

-Bill

Scott Prejean
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Scott Prejean » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:26 am

Bill,

See the link in one of the above posts for the motor. I have been in touch with OMC on the clutch and motor mount. They have the clutch with the 13 tooth driver in stock for $40 and he is going to order some motor mounts today. He has two styles of mounts, one is $40 and the other is $90. All he needs to know is the frame size on your chassis. The only problem I see is figuring out the rear gear - it will require a split gear, so I am going to talk to them when I call in my order to see what they think it will take to get these babies moving.

Scott
Scott Prejean

kyle Anderson

Post by kyle Anderson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:30 am

I will take an adult kart chassis for partial trade on my trailer in the classified section.

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Just picked up my Chonda! $119.00 at Harbor Frieght, supplies are limited. Taking it home for a test fitting!

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:42 pm

I have been doing some research and test fitting. I think we should consider adding some enhancements to our chonda class to allow for better fit, balance, and standardization. Check out this parts kit: http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/the-14 ... rts/Detail

The exhaust header/muffler would allow us to get rid of the stock box that will be tucked under our arms. The billet chain/heat shield will also help us from getting burned and keep the chain covered. The billet carb adapter and filter will get rid of the silly plastic box. And the top plate/fuel pump/throttle combo will allow the use of our standard tanks and help us standardize the throttle linkages. This way we don't have to use the stock gas can and makes the engine much lower profile. The cost for this kit is $115, which is less than a piston on the leopard! I realize this doubles the cost of the engine, but it will make for a much cleaner install and provide a standard throttle linkage that is easily removable for swapping engines if we choose to do a lottery. We also need to have an engine mount that has adjustability from side to side. I don't know if Rodney's has this, but there are several out there including one from Burris that allows 1 1/2 inches of adjustability. What do you guys think?

-Bill

Scott Prejean
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Scott Prejean » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:19 am

Bill beat me to the punch, I did the same research and there is actually a video of how to remove the governor and install this entire kit. Looks like it takes an hour or two to do it. I don't think we really have a choice on the issue. You have to have the throttle plate, the air breather on this thing will melt after a race or two, and the muffler is just cool looking :D. I don't think any of this is "performance enhancing", it's what you have to do to make the thing work. I just ordered my kit :mrgreen: . Everybody needs to watch the video on the ARC web site, takes an hour to watch, but removing the governor is not as simple as it would appear, not a big deal if you see it done.
Scott Prejean