Behaviors after this weekend's 4-stroke race

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Travis Short
The master poster
Behaviors after this weekend's 4-stroke race

Post by Travis Short » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 am

I couldn't have been more embarrassed by the actions of the 'men' after the final 4-stroke race this weekend. It's a shame when we need to tell the 'adults' to look to the 'kids' to see how to behave. Yes, there was some very intense racing, maybe even some actions that went too far on the track. But in the pits when small kids are watching is not the place to act like uncontrolled spoiled brats. I'm just glad my 8-yr old had already run off to play with another one of his friends.

I've been shoved off the track, spun out in corners, blocked, etc but never did I think, gee, let's make a scene (and possibly endanger others in the pits) by speeding and sliding in, yelling and getting people's faces, and acting like a fool. I spoke with the offender and if it happens again I will speak with the race director.

Grow up or find another sport!

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Re: Behaviors after this weekend's 4-stroke race

Post by Patrick Roth » Wed May 03, 2017 10:12 am

Sounds like I missed some excitement...

Emotions boil over in every sport and it's tough to sit there and watch for the reasons you mentioned. Karting is a little unique in that the participants can vary widely in age (adults race with minors) and the sport itself is inherently dangerous due to the speed. All contact, whether intentional or not, can be dangerous and emotions can run high as a result. Fortunately I have never been involved in situations where I feel someone intentionally put me in a dangerous situation (key word "intentionally") but would be extremely upset if I did.

With that being said, none of this justifies creating a dangerous and/or threatening response. GCKI has rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct and correcting hazardous conditions and maybe this needs to be reiterated at each and every drivers meeting so it remains fresh in everyone's heads.

The 206 class is some of the most exciting racing out there which has attracted a lot of entries each week. The close racing is going to have some contact and the racers need to learn to take issues up with the race director and board of directors rather than take it out on the track or in the parking lot.

david mckee
The master poster

Re: Behaviors after this weekend's 4-stroke race

Post by david mckee » Wed May 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Well Said Patrick
David McKee