Rule change, spec fuel?

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Jared Johnson
Rule change, spec fuel?

Post by Jared Johnson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 am

While we’re having Silly Season in here, I’d like to throw out a suggestion for a change of fuel. After entry fees and tires, fuel is the next big expense.
The Briggs rules specify pump gas for the LO206. No adjustments are permitted that would garner a performance benefit from using race fuel so the only apparent (to me) upside is the lack of ethanol. It doesn’t make much sense that the budget/starter class spends $14 per gallon to make 10hp with a fancy lawn mower engine. I, for one, would not mind draining and cleaning my carb more frequently on pump gas to save $12/gallon. Reduced operating costs are always welcome, especially in a budget-oriented 4-stroke class.
I will admit that I don't know what the fuel tester is checking for, but I don't imagine it's anything that would be in pump gas anyway.

Fire away!

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Re: Rule change, spec fuel?

Post by Patrick Roth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:55 am

I like the spec fuel. No issues from a tech or performance standpoint and no one is trying to find the right "pump gas" or complaining they got some bad gas. The 4 cycles did start out with pump gas (back in the Chonda days) but when the 206 came onboard, the members chose to switch to a spec fuel for simplicity, despite the extra cost.

There really isn't anything cheap about racing and while I appreciate your viewpoint, fuel for a 4 cycle is significantly less of an expense when compared to the 2 cycles that burn a lot of fuel and require being mixed with expensive oil (point is I already view it as being "budget-oriented").

Back in the Chonda days the class was really all about keeping the cost to a bare minimum ($200 motors, pump gas, used tires, lots of really really really old karts, etc) but it has transitioned (through membership voting) into what could arguably be considered a "premier" racing class. I think the spec fuel continues to make a lot of sense.

Cheers! :)

Jeremy Rohrs

Post by Jeremy Rohrs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:53 pm

I was also curious about the "spec fuel" as well as VP prices are kinda ridiculous like the OP stated just for 93 octane.

I'm NOT trying to vend or sell anything, but one of my business's IS selling/distributing racing fuels. So with that said VP MS93 is right around $13-14 per gallons while Sunoco Racing fuel (93 Octane Ethanol Free) retails for $6.00 per gallon.

Unless I'm missing something 93 is 93 is 93, I don't think my glorified lawn mower engine cares lol.

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:30 am

Jeremy,

Does the $6 per gallon Sunoco come in cans at that price? If it does than I'm all for looking at a potential change. Having the "spec fuel" in cans means all the distributors can get the exact same product and bring it to the track to sell. MS93 was the fuel of choice because it was already there to support the Rotax classes; however, the 4 cycle world has really grown and may justify a switch. GCKI and the Texas Sprint Racing Series have a big 4 cycle following and have worked very well together to try and match their rules and regulations so a fuel switch might just be possible.

However, if the fuel is only available at Sunoco stations than I don't know if the idea would gain traction as this means the fuel would not be available at the track via the local shops.

Patrick

Adam Bray

Post by Adam Bray » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Bumbera's Performance in Old Katy on 90 sells Sunoco 95 unleaded, ethanol free for $8/gallon. Its called Sunoco Optima. Bumbera's don't sell it in cans, you have to supply your own. Sunoco does sell it in cans though. Not sure what the price would be, but I assume it would be similar to what VP sells 93 in cans for.