Chonda Engine Tuning

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Rob Brown
The master poster
Re: Chonda Engine Tuning

Post by Rob Brown » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks for all the effort you two. I didnt get to run after the timing change but Ill be sure and let you all know if the results prove to be faster lap times than my base pre tuning.

Robert Schneider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Robert Schneider » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Rob Brown wrote:Thanks for all the effort you two. I didnt get to run after the timing change but Ill be sure and let you all know if the results prove to be faster lap times than my base pre tuning.
No problem, let me know how the engine runs when you get a chance to take it back to the track. Also remember, don't let the engine temps get above 450deg F. If they do, stop and install a bigger main jet.
Robert

Robert Schneider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Robert Schneider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:37 pm

The tuning session went very well. Mark and I fixed up the engines of Rob, Ted, Barry, Sarin, Bryce and Richard. Unfortunately we weren't able to tune Richards engine due to the carburetor being clogged up with hardened old gas. I learned a number of things during the day that everyone will benefit from.
1) All of the new ARC flywheels measured 32 degrees before TDC with the uncut key installed.
2) Of the five engines that we performed a leak down test on, three of them had blown head gaskets due to running the engine with head temperatures above 450deg F.
3) Barry's built/blueprinted engine had a 12degree key installed between the crank shaft and the flywheel resulting in 44 deg of timing which meant to get the engine temperatures to fall below 500deg F, a very large main jet was used which resulted in a fouled spark plug. This is very important for Aubrey and Stacy that have engines from the same engine builder. With a backwards 6 degree key their engines should run very well. Unfortunately Barry's head gasket was blown and had to be replaced due to the high engine temps he had been running and I suspect Aubrey and Stacy's head gaskets may have to be replaced as well since they were also experiencing very high engine temps with their engines setup by the engine builder.
4) Sarin and I went out on the track after his engine had been freshened up and drag raced down the straight away to see how his engine compared to mine. We started from about a 20mph roll and raced to the end of the straight. We were dead even the whole way!
I'll post the repair records for everyone to see as soon as I type them up.

Javier Hernandez

Post by Javier Hernandez » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am

Have you meet for the chonda tunning workshop?

Robert Schneider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Robert Schneider » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:15 pm

Javier Hernandez wrote:Have you meet for the chonda tunning workshop?
Yes, we met up at the track last Saturday. Do you need help with your Chonda motor?

Ted Dziedzic
The master poster

Post by Ted Dziedzic » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Heading out to the track on Labor Day to get some track time and evaluate the changes. I don't want to be messing with this on race day next weekend.

Robert Schneider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Robert Schneider » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:28 pm

I'll be out tomorrow around lunch too.

Javier Hernandez

Post by Javier Hernandez » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

Robert,
we got a kart for my son with two engines and I do not know much about the engines tune up. any help would be appreciated
you can contact me at 832-670-0047 or casehernandez@sbcglobal.net.

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:08 pm

I wanna give a shout out to Robert for organizing and running the Chonda tune up session. I wish I could have been there as it sounds like many of you benefitted and will most likely lead to better racing. Unfortunately I will miss the race this weekend, but will use what Robert and you all have posted to make sure I'm not missing something in my setup. (I did have a blown head gasket last time I fired up my Chonda!)

Robert is one of the hardest working racers and has put in many hours testing and practicing. For him to share his knowledge is commendable and in keeping with the Chonda and GCKI mantra. His selfless efforts will help make Chonda racing better and relieve frustration in the Chonda group. Since many of the Chonda racers are new to the sport, Robert's initiative will help them focus on driving and not worry as much about the engine tuning. This will greatly benefit both the racers and club as many folks get bummed out and quit before they even get the driving part down.

I hope everyone has a great race weekend and thanks again Robert for being a great GCKI member!

- Bill

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 am

Is there an easy way to tell which flywheel I have, 26 vs. 32 degree? By easy, visually as I don't have a timing wheel etc. to check.

Ted Dziedzic
The master poster

Post by Ted Dziedzic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Brad Johnson wrote:Is there an easy way to tell which flywheel I have, 26 vs. 32 degree? By easy, visually as I don't have a timing wheel etc. to check.

This post on Bobs 4cycle forum is from Jody at ARC. http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.ph ... -flywheels...

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks Ted.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:12 pm

I know I'm overthinking this and have turned myself stupid, if I have the 32 degree flywheel and need to put in the offset key, which way does the key go? I put it in with the offset to the left, moving the magnet counter clockwise. It runs but not well so I thought I did it wrong and decided to ask. Everyone can stop laughing now, not nice to laugh at the challenged. :)

Ted Dziedzic
The master poster

Post by Ted Dziedzic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:39 am

http://www.lo206.com/images/*.* :wink:

Brad Johnson wrote:I know I'm overthinking this and have turned myself stupid, if I have the 32 degree flywheel and need to put in the offset key, which way does the key go? I put it in with the offset to the left, moving the magnet counter clockwise. It runs but not well so I thought I did it wrong and decided to ask. Everyone can stop laughing now, not nice to laugh at the challenged. :)

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks again Ted. I did it wrong. :oops: