Aluminum flywheel - yes!

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Brett Mitchell
Rookie Poster
Aluminum flywheel - yes!

Post by Brett Mitchell » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Was out at the track today with the Chonda and Rotax, and ran the Chonda for the first time with an Aluminum flywheel (per GCKI purple restrictor rules). I will say, in case anyone was wondering, that there IS a noticeable performance improvement. There was a bad headwind down the straightaway, so top speed wasn't really measureable. But, I could tell a difference in the corners.

Brett Mitchell
Rookie Poster

Re: Aluminum flywheel - yes!

Post by Brett Mitchell » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Note to self - always drive the faster kart FIRST!! Or else it will feel very fast and you won't be comfortable. lol :lol:

Ted Dziedzic
The master poster

Post by Ted Dziedzic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Just as I began knocking on the door of 50's another variable is thrown in. UGH!!! Where you able to compare your current times to your past times running the steel flywheel? If so, how much of a time difference did you notice?

Brett Mitchell
Rookie Poster

Post by Brett Mitchell » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Well, I ran 50 flats today. The headwind was brutal, so a full-track time comparison wasn't possible. We were just seeing what would happen without changing anything from the blast. Our guess is that jetting MAY need to be changed, and I know we could've had a bigger gear to fight the headwind. So, the only real comparison was through the interior, which felt a bit more peppy.

Rob Brown
The master poster

Post by Rob Brown » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:19 pm

Need to get mine ordered this week. Just trying to figure out which of the ones we can use to get...