Help getting started

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Blake Thomas
Help getting started

Post by Blake Thomas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Hello,

I am trying to get into Chonda karting and need some help. I will be turning 14 this Friday, so I will be in the senior class (I think). What is involved in Chonda racing and how do I get started? Forgive me if I am being demanding, but is this kart what I should be looking for: http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3748240640.html ? I am getting a little confused with all of the terminology. I have studied the classes and am not sure if it will work. Thanks in advance.

-Blake

Charles Borsos

Re: Help getting started

Post by Charles Borsos » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am

Blake,

Welcome, hope to see you at the track soon.

Yes, you would be in the Chonda Senior class.

The kart you are looking at on Craigslist is (IMO) not a good start for our club. The engine is highly modified and would be difficult (cost prohibitive) to return to legal for our class. The clutch is not legal (must be a drum clutch, this is a disc). Further, the chassis does not appear to come with body work and a full width rear bumper. These are just of few of the issues that pop out to me. I am sure there are others on this forum that could provide feedback better than mine but I would look elsewhere for a kart/motor either as a package or separately. The want ads on this forum usually have some. There is a Birel chassis on there now that looks like it would be a good candidate. You would then need to purchase a motor. ARC Racing is one good source for it.

If you have not done so already, check out the 2013 Classes and Class Specifications under the Race Season tab of the club web site. Also, study the CHonda forum here for some more information. Hope this helps.

Regards, Charles

Blake Thomas

Re: Help getting started

Post by Blake Thomas » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Charles Borsos wrote:Blake,

Welcome, hope to see you at the track soon.

Yes, you would be in the Chonda Senior class.

The kart you are looking at on Craigslist is (IMO) not a good start for our club. The engine is highly modified and would be difficult (cost prohibitive) to return to legal for our class. The clutch is not legal (must be a drum clutch, this is a disc). Further, the chassis does not appear to come with body work and a full width rear bumper. These are just of few of the issues that pop out to me. I am sure there are others on this forum that could provide feedback better than mine but I would look elsewhere for a kart/motor either as a package or separately. The want ads on this forum usually have some. There is a Birel chassis on there now that looks like it would be a good candidate. You would then need to purchase a motor. ARC Racing is one good source for it.

If you have not done so already, check out the 2013 Classes and Class Specifications under the Race Season tab of the club web site. Also, study the CHonda forum here for some more information. Hope this helps.

Regards, Charles
I will be at the track with my dad Saturday to watch and gather some info. Thank you for your help, and for taking the time to reply.