Chonda Changes...

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Bill Choice
The master poster
Chonda Changes...

Post by Bill Choice » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Greetings Chonda Drivers!

Last week we held our annual meeting where we made decisions and changes for the upcoming year. If you were there you won't be surprised, but for those of you who couldn't make it we made a few changes to our Chonda rules for 2011. The new rules will be posted soon, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up on what changed and why. Also, these rule changes are not mandatory until Spring #4 on March 20, 2011.

Last year our rules were based on the 2010 AKRA clone rules with some club modifications. We will continue this trend by adopting the 2011 AKRA rules with similar club modifications. The rules have many more engine specific measurements and allow some modification (if necessary) to allow your engine to be in spec, but for the most part nothing has changed with the exception of the muffler (see below).

In the interest of keeping the competition close we have decided to require the CL-1 Improved cam. We have found that the cams in our HF Blue engines vary from engine to engine. Although they may be in spec, some may suffer from not having enough lift or duration. This will effect the performance and could keep us from having the close racing we all desire. Moving to the CL-1 Improved cam will negate the differences in cams and will get us one step closer to matched engines. The cams are $31.75 on the arcracing.com site, part DJ-1109I.

We have also decided to use the new RLV "Mini 91" AKRA/WKA mufflers (specified in the 2011 AKRA rules). These are very well made and won't fall apart like the lawnmower mufflers we have been using. arcracing.com has the new header/muffler/brace kit in stock for $39.95 or, if you can get your muffler off, you can buy just the muffler for $17.00. We have had many of the old mufflers fail and come apart during racing which is dangerous and these new mufflers will last much longer!

The club also voted in MG Yellow tires for the season, so the Chondas will be using these tires as our spec tire with the same rules that "no new tires are allowed; tires must be scrubbed in before qualifying or racing".

We also decided to make the front driver (clutch) open. This should help those that have challenging chassis where achieving correct gearing was difficult. This change mirrors the rules for the SWRC where it was open last year.

We discussed an engine sealing program to minimize the tech time required by our Tech Director, but it was decided to wait until next year to mandate a sealed engine. However, Rick will be sealing any engines that are brought to him to inspect and confirm the installation of the CL-1 Improved cam. This voluntary engine sealing will help Rick get ready for next year and could keep you from having to pull your cam during an inspection this year.

The club will be stocking some of the CL-1 Improved cams and mufflers, so if you want to purchase at the track please see me. Also if you plan on running the MG Yellows soon, make sure to get with Dave at 3G to get your tires ordered. If you need some help installing your cam you can see Rick, Eric, or myself and we can get you setup.

Looking forward to another great year of Chonda racing!

- Bill

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: Chonda Changes...

Post by Brad Johnson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:06 pm

I noticed something in the SWRC rules just now, besides the fact that the yellow and red engines are now allowed. I'm not sure if it has always been this way or not but maybe Bill knows. SWRC allows the timing to be advanced and that the flywheel key is non-tech. Looks like GCKI doesn't not allow advancing, and the key is to be stock. Never takes long for different groups to start tweaking things that seem to work as they are.

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 am

Yep, the yellow and red engines are new to the SWRC this year, requested by the other tracks. GCKI is sticking with the HF Blue. The timing is a new allowance per the 2011 AKRA rules. There is a max timing allowance specified in the AKRA rules. Since GCKI is using the AKRA rules this allowance goes for us too. Will and I have not tried any timing changes, let me know if it improves or blows up your engine!

- Bill

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Post by Eric Meservey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Bill Choice wrote: The timing is a new allowance per the 2011 AKRA rules. There is a max timing allowance specified in the AKRA rules. Since GCKI is using the AKRA rules this allowance goes for us too.

- Bill
I disagree with the above interpretation

According to the rules:
http://www.racekarts.com/Classes.html

No where in there does it say "And we inherit rule changes from AKRA" even in paraphrasing.

We Cut and Pasted the rules from AKRA, and we can certainly change OUR rules to allow timing changes. But right this second, timing changes are NOT allowed at GCKI regular races. The key must be present and unmodified.

If it is our intent to follow AKRA's rules changes additions, addendums, etc. We need to specify that in our ruleset. That could mean something like 'Rules may be superseded by AKRA current ruleset' or 'We race under AKRA rules, and here is a (outdated) synopsis of that ruleset for your viewing pleasure, in our rules..." Or simply say nothing in our rules, and provide a link to AKRA's official rules (Kinda like racing under TAGUSA, or Rotax)

There are several other subtle differences between our current ruleset and AKRA right now.

I'm all for adopting the AKRA ruleset in totality, as well as it's future changes. But we need to make it official. Right now, our rules stand on their own without inheritance.

If something offensive comes about in AKRA's rules, it's would be easier and more efficient to set that one offending item, as a club/track exception.

E