Chonda Gearing...

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Bill Choice
The master poster
Chonda Gearing...

Post by Bill Choice » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:33 am

I believe a gearing update is in order. In case I haven't told you at the track, Will and I have been running less teeth lately with better results. We had to drop a couple teeth when we ran at the Norman track and were so lazy we didn't change when we came back to GCKI. It turns out that the lower gearing is better on both the purple and open (and probably the blue too). Will is purple and running a 15x54 and I'm on a 15x55 (edited, was 14 in error). We had both been running 56 and 57 before. I have no idea why Will was so fast on Sunday, but I have adjusted his brakes with a slight drag and won't be tuning his kart anymore! :roll:

It was great to have Jason from channel 39 racing with us on Sunday and the return of Sherry Johnson was welcomed. The weather is going to get cooler, so get those Chondas tuned up and come out and race!

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Choice on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Re: Chonda Gearing...

Post by Eric Meservey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 am

For reference, Jason, (on my rental chassis) was running a 57, and I was running a 56. We were both at 320lbs on purple.

Seeing Will pass me like a signpost means I need to up my game. I'm not going to say I was slow, but I was a second off where I would have liked to be. After passing me, Will had the gall to look down at his motor in a quizzical look after he went by! <grin> After checking for all the cheater parts, he resumed to plant it and left me for dead. <jab>

Another 3 weeks before the next race means everyone should be tuned up and ready to go by October 3rd.

Again, if you need help, a shoulder to cry on, or a bone. Please ask.

Eric

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 am

Sherry had fun racing again. She is a bit sore in the upper chest and her knees from hugging the tank but it'll pass. She had a 57 on with the small plate @ 324#, might get away with something smaller. We just need to spend some days testing and trying things to her liking. I did make a track adj on the front and she dumped .8 sec in the final so maybe I have a direction to go and see how much more the chassis likes. Hopefully some cooler days will land on race day and I get her out some more.

John Griffin

Post by John Griffin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Hey guys, in reference to the Chonda gearing...I was under the impression (per class rule)15 tooth clutch driver only...rear gearing is open...has there been an "official" rule change? Can we just run whatever we want? or do the rules of this class just kind of "evolve"? Also, are we (Chondas) running 4.5 front/7.10 rear..or 6.0 rear? and what other amendments have been made that are not reflected in "class rules"? I understand if this is just part of the evolution of the class but I know at least(3) newbies that are building Chondas for 2011 either for themselves or their kids, so maybe some rule clarifications are in order to make this whole process a little less painstaking.After all, these are people who don't have a surplus of $$$ but they would like to participate.Lastly, do we anticipate the Chonda class will evolve into an AKRA "box stock class"? ie billet rod,flywheel,etc... :shock: I really hope not, but I am just a participant.Anyway just had to ramble a little Bill, Jay is ready to GO! the kart is just about ready.. So Dad (me)needs to have everything in order :roll: ...know what I mean. or I'll never hear the end of it...lol Thanks all! John

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Post by Eric Meservey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Indeed at GCKI Club races, the front driver must be a 15T on the spec clutch, the rear gear is completely open.

In regards to tires. At GCKI club races, you may use YHC, and YKC compound Bridgestones. The fronts must be 4.5", and the rears may be 6.0" or 7.1" widths.

At SWRC races, you must use 7.1" tires on the rear. Both the front and rear gear are open. (you must use the spec clutch, but you can use whatever driver sprocket floats your boat) Hint -- 15T works at all the tracks in the SWRC, so no need to go with anything different.

There will be NOooo changes to the Chonda rules at GCKI at least until the beginning of next year when the board and club votes on any rule changes.

I would expect that next year, the YHC will go by the wayside, forcing the use of YKC Bridgestones (assuming the club tire choice stays Bridgestone...) And I don't foresee any other changes to the mix at all. (But this *is* a club, and as such, the club will decide) The current rule-set works really well as it is.

One other thing that is an unofficial rule change, that came up this weekend... ARC is shipping a slightly different header with the currently shipping kits. (started a couple months ago) Either the old or new style header may be used at GCKI as they are functionally equivalent. They are the ONLY 2 headers that may be used. I expect this will also be added to the ruleset officially next year. The new style header is a different angle to help get it away from your arm, and has a partially ported flange to get you started. Remember the header may be ported as you wish at the head mating flange, the gasket may be opened up, but there is NO TOUCHING of the head or the muffler for any reason.

There should be no evolution of the rules. The rules have the opportunity to change once per year, and then they are set in stone. Unless there is a serious reason to modify them, and again, it's up to the club, they will stay static through the year. It's rare, but sometimes a rule does need to be changed or modified due to parts availability, or unforeseen disturbance in the force.

NTK, OMC and SWRC (others through the country are very similar if not exactly the same) currently inherit our rules with very minor changes. A little birdie on the wire told me HCKC is struggling to decide on their ruleset, and is sliding down the slope to the full modified motor because they cant decide where to stop. Never say never, but not going to happen here, we've already seen what happens when you let the camel put his nose under the tent, and we didnt like it one bit.

Remember, If it's not a part of the ARC kit, or it didnt come in a HarborFreight box with 66015 on the side, it is an illegal part!
http://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-hori ... 66015.html

You can find 20% off coupons on the Harbor Freight ad in most car magazines.

Eric

Bill Choice
The master poster

Post by Bill Choice » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:53 pm

My mistake on my original post. It should have and now does read 15x54 and 15x55. I usually post after midnight, so I guess I was still asleep. Anyway, we did buy different drivers for the front to try at Norman, but as Eric says, the 15 is good for all tracks. I really think less teeth in the back makes huge gains down the straight. You just have to keep it rolling around the rest of the track. I really focus on getting thru the hairpin with the most rpm as possible.

I don't see us moving toward an "open" or "modified" rule set. Why spend the money? We basically do follow the AKRA rules for Box Stock, but have not adopted the CL1 cam yet. We might want to move to this cam since there are many variations in the Harbor Freight boxes, but not until next year after a vote at the club meeting. The Box Stock rules for AKRA don't allow billet rods, springs, or flywheels.

I think as Brad pointed out, kart setup has a lot to do with going fast in a Chonda. Tire pressure is also huge and I think may have been my problem or Will's advantage on Sunday. Up until then Will and I had always been within a tenth or so. I was getting stuck in the middle of both the prefinal and final while Will was fastest toward the end of the races. I had been setting our tires the same, but clearly need to adjust mine a bit higher. Anyway, that punk is going down next time!

John Griffin

Post by John Griffin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 am

Thanks Eric and Bill! We look forward to next season...maybe... just maybe,we can get some testing in this year if all goes well! I would like to hook Jay up with a Chonda driver for some test days so he can learn the line and just get some seat time...heck I may build myself a Chonda if I can find a chassis :? . Thanks again for the feedback! I'm sure I'll have a few more FAQ's before all is said and done :roll: John