Help from Chondanation....

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Brad Johnson
The master poster
Help from Chondanation....

Post by Brad Johnson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Okay so I'm idiot sometimes and need someone to point me the right way. My Chonda won't stay running after I open the choke. I pulled the carb, took it apart, and sprayed it out with carb cleaner. It idles and runs pretty good on the stand with the choke closed but as soon as I open it it dies. Any ideas or suggestions on the problem? Trying to make it out for this weekend so any help is appreciated.

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Re: Help from Chondanation....

Post by Eric Meservey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm sure not, but what jet are you running? certainly not the factory jet, but I dunno, maybe you switched carbs, new motor, etc.

I've seen 2 other instances like this.

One, fuel pump issue, one sucking air ahead of the pump (look for little bubbles in the line out ot the tank) and one that the diaphragm failed (bubbles between the pump and carb, and existing bubble not moving (due to lack of flow) Another test for pump issues is to use the HF tank, or other fuel containing device and hold it at a higher elevation to the carb. You can run the line direct to the carb, and the carb should gravity feed with pleanty of fuel.

Second was a float issue. I've had issues with float needles sticking open, closed, and generally being a pain. I've been able to solve them by deburring the jet housing, or the jet body itself. Ever so slightly and just removing the ridge the jet was hanging on.

OK, I lied, there is a third... intake leak ahead of the carb. Do the carb cleaner trick to see if idle changes, and make sure gaskets are right side up, right side out, and in the proper order.

If none of that works, I have a spare in-box carb I can lend you for the weekend until you get it sorted out.

Eric

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: Help from Chondanation....

Post by Brad Johnson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:02 am

I did get it to stay running with the choke open but I have to keep the throttle open. It won't idle at all. When I first started it there was fuel coming out from between the carb and head. I had that happen before and I just cleaned everything and it worked. Not so much this time. I'll try out your suggestions Eric and see what happens. I think the pump is good, I left the line off once when I cranked it and it was pumping. I didn't see any bubbles from the tank to the pump. I'll check it all over again but I'll take you up on the loaner offer if I can't solve anything. Thanks.