QQ: Voodoo VK1 vs XK Kid Road Rat Racer

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Eric LaCore
QQ: Voodoo VK1 vs XK Kid Road Rat Racer

Post by Eric LaCore » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello,
Nice to meet everyone, I just moved to Houston and interested in getting into Karting (if not myself at least my son).
I've come across two amazing deals for entry level Go Karts (and since my son is only 1.5 years old plenty of time to save up for a better Comer or otherwise when he's old enough to race with the Kid Kart League (the year he turns 5 I believe).

My question is, which kart do you think is better and/or a better deal and why :?:
$1000 shipped New - http://gokartsusa.com/Voodoo-VK1-Kid-Ra ... -Kart.aspx

$500 (driving 9 hours to pick up - Used - http://gokartsusa.com/Road-Rat-Racer-Kid-Race-Kart.aspx
Race Car - 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata - BSP www.Facebook.com/Foxy MX5
Daily Driver - 2015 VW Golf R
Go Kart - TBD
Son's Go Kart - TBD

Matt Graybiel

Re: QQ: Voodoo VK1 vs XK Kid Road Rat Racer

Post by Matt Graybiel » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Eric,
I recommend staying away from both if you actually want your kid to race. I have a road rat chassis in my garage, no motor mount for it that you can easily adapt to a Comer or Honda...it has never been used. Not familiar with the voodoo, but I know you will have to build your own parts or modify an off the shelf part WHEN something breaks on the kart. The Road Rat is cheap because it is cheaply built. Welds are pretty crummy.
There are a lot of great kid karts out there and a lot of them go up for sale on track forum, North Texas's forum (where I am), and on Facebook Kid Kart Group. Plenty on the FB group, with good engines for $1300-1500.

Eric LaCore

Post by Eric LaCore » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:36 am

Thank you.

Can you send me the Facebook group links? I've had no luck finding any local groups/pages on Facebook (which I'm on more than forums)
Race Car - 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata - BSP www.Facebook.com/Foxy MX5
Daily Driver - 2015 VW Golf R
Go Kart - TBD
Son's Go Kart - TBD

Jeff Arndt
The master poster

Post by Jeff Arndt » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Here is great FB group for Kid and Cadet Kart stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/109921812363623/

If I read the email right, your son is 18 months old. A lot can change in the next 3 years so I wouldn't invest in kart equipment for him. My son started driving a Honda Minimoto in the parking lot at 3. I see them for sale every once and a while for around $300. Google it for more info.