Tech

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Robert Mayton
Tech

Post by Robert Mayton » Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Does anyone "blueprint" these engines in this class, or at Katy are the parrents keeping them really "stock"? I dont feel that our engine needs to be any faster, but if that is the norm, then I at least want my boy to be on pace with the average kid kart. The flip side is that I do not want to do anything outside of the rules.

Is there anyway to get a "tech" done prior to race day? I would hate to be DQ'd on our first race day. At least i could have some time to fix any issues or short commings prior to bringing the boy and dissapointing him.

I appreciate you guys and your help.

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Re: Tech

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Tue May 29, 2012 8:10 pm

My daughter has not yet started racing yet, so I'm probably not the best person to answer. When she starts racing, we will keep our engine bone stock. I feel very strongly about this. This is a class for the kids to learn in, and for them to get comfortable with the process. Driver skill is by far the most important factor in success in all kart racing, and I have a feeling that the "tweaked" engines will be easy to spot on race day.

I have heard many stories about the modified Comers out there, and I always wonder why the parents feel compelled to do this.

Just my two cents.

John Rucker
Rookie Poster

Post by John Rucker » Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

I found this web site that explains blue printing and speaks to many legal things that can be done to the Comer engine. http://www.connoriseli.com/kid_kart_engine_tips.htm
Having raced in pro modified 2 stroke classes myself it was a constant battle trying to keep up with new technology. Although driving skill always played a part many times the top placing vehicles were from the drivers that had spent the most money. This is a one reason why I wanted my son to begin karting. It is kept competitive, fair and is a great way to develop him as a driver. I too feel very strongly that we should all stay on a level playing field.
Many of the shops that blue print the engines use heavy duty clutch springs, grind down the clutch shoes, match and split gaskets or advancing the timing by changing the position of the key for the flywheel on the crankshaft.
All of these things are illegal in the WKA rules that GCK follows. Here is a link to the WKA rules.
http://www.ovka.com/files/Tech-Corner/2 ... idKart.pdf
Thanks
John
RUCKER RACING

John Bartos
The master poster

Post by John Bartos » Thu May 31, 2012 6:23 am

Please note that GCKI has a "box stock" kid kart policy. At our races we are priveledged to have one of the top tech inspectors in the country. While it is not the intent to discourage young racers with the stigma of a disqualification, engines will be scrutinized and any deviations discovered from box stock will result in a DQ. The spirit and intent of GCKI's kid kart class is to teach young racers their driving skills and sportsmanship before they advance to higher classes. It is not intended as an exercise in who can spend the most money or who can skirt the rules most creatively. All kid kart competitors receive equal trophies and all racers who compete in 6 or more races in the season earn 1st place in the championship - regardless of finishing position. If you have purchased a used motor and have questions on its legality, Rick Miller will gladly go over it with you to teach you the rules and ensure its compliance. I am also a veteran kid kart father and am always willing to help teach those learning the sport.
John cell:713 203 9615

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:59 am

I appreciate the intent of this class and our goals match those of the club. We stress to Kade to be smart and safe and learn to drive the kart as hard as he can. I have bought some used parts and Rick in Tech is very helpful in making sure these parts are legal. We were DQ'ed for our air cleaner falling off and that is tough to explain to a 5 year old. I don't want to be in that position again.

Chad Revia

Post by Chad Revia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

I bought my son a kk last week from Texas karts. I too am looking forward to racing with y'all. And i too would hope it remains box stock so that we let our kids have an equal playing field