Getting Started

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Mike Hewitt
The master poster
Getting Started

Post by Mike Hewitt » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:19 am

Hello, My name is Mike Hewitt and I have 2 boys one 6 years old and one 2 months old. It's a little early for the 2 month old to start karting, however my son Max is excited about getting on the track.

Eddie, seeing you leave the neighborhood on Sunday with your trailer really got me thinking about getting started with Max.

So I am looking for a kart, gear, tips, and all the information anyone wants to share with a newbie.

I am starting to peruse the forum and it looks like there is a lot of great information, so I hope to see everyone soon on the track.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Mike Hewittt
713.824.9457 Cell

Peter Blach

Post by Peter Blach » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:49 am

Mike, I am in the same boat as you... My son is 10 years old. We have been to the track on a few occasions and he has been taking "private" karting lessons at Track 21. He now, at 10 years old, holds the Track 21 record at 23.020 seconds. The next step is to get him into a TAG kart of some sort and start racing.

I too would like to know, is there a "newbie" guide to helping guys like us get our sons into karting? I know the basics... Join the club, buy a kart, race. However, it sure would be nice to have some sort of step by step guide. Something that would allow guys like to rent a kart/tech for the day and test before dumping thousands of $$$$ into getting them started.

I would even be willing to drop several hundred bucks just to rent a kart and have a tech meet us at the track for a few hours. I want to get my son into something faster than the 45 mph karts he's been running and onto the track to see if he's really into the type of karting that goes on in Katy.

THOUGHTS anyone?

Peter

Patrick Madison
The master poster

Post by Patrick Madison » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 am

Contact 3G Karting about an "Arrive and Drive" package...281-599-0851
Garrett Madison
Madison Racing
Birel Motorsports
Cadet Sportsman K-80/KPP Sportsman
WKA Manufacturer's Cup

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:18 am

Mike,

Hope all is well.

I think your timing could not be better, just come on by or call me (832-567-8031) this week and we can begin to discuss getting your son into a kart and getting you and your family into the Club.

I am in town this week so let me know what works.

Regards,
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports

Scott Madison
The master poster

Post by Scott Madison » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:56 pm

mike and peter, you have come to the right place. patrick and eddie can
help you get started. they are very engulfed in the karting with your kids
experience. me personally, i'm there for the fun!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be glad to answer any questions you might have (409)832-3894
Madison Racing #3 IF YOU LIFT YOU LOSE!

Colin Walker
Rookie Poster

Starting karting

Post by Colin Walker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi Peter
As you can see there are a number of us "old hands" [I've been racing 42 years] willing to help you get started. We have a Comer 60c.c. cadet you might be interested in and we would be happy for you to try it out. Give me a call 832 717 7444 and we can arrange something. Colin Walker

quote="Peter Blach"]Mike, I am in the same boat as you... My son is 10 years old. We have been to the track on a few occasions and he has been taking "private" karting lessons at Track 21. He now, at 10 years old, holds the Track 21 record at 23.020 seconds. The next step is to get him into a TAG kart of some sort and start racing.

I too would like to know, is there a "newbie" guide to helping guys like us get our sons into karting? I know the basics... Join the club, buy a kart, race. However, it sure would be nice to have some sort of step by step guide. Something that would allow guys like to rent a kart/tech for the day and test before dumping thousands of $$$$ into getting them started.

I would even be willing to drop several hundred bucks just to rent a kart and have a tech meet us at the track for a few hours. I want to get my son into something faster than the 45 mph karts he's been running and onto the track to see if he's really into the type of karting that goes on in Katy.

THOUGHTS anyone?

Peter[/quote]