comar 60cc engine question (tuning)

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

George Miller
comar 60cc engine question (tuning)

Post by George Miller » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:26 pm

At the last race I purchased a kart with a 60cc Comar engine. I can't seem to get it running right. It spits fuel out the carb intake while cranking. There are (2) thumb screw adjustments on the side of the carb, one listed high and one listed low.
What should the initial settings be just to get started? I am quite mechanical but I just know nothing about this type of setup.
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks

DARIO BASTON SR
The master poster

Post by DARIO BASTON SR » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:26 pm

hi george

the people to talk to on the kwe60 comer engine is gene osborne ,
rick miller, larry harget, i have personaly tested that package one way or
another and it is a tough one for me to be polite, so call gene osborne
i know he had a FORTUNE in those motors.

here is his phone # 281-831-3929 , sorry gene :D :lol:

best regards

dario baston sr.

L. Hargett
Rookie Poster

Post by L. Hargett » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:46 am

The KWE 60 is very tough one to tune with the restrictor added in 06. As Dario said this motor will make you look at what to purchase next!
One of the four KWE 60's I have will run strong at 3/4L and 5/8H. Another motor is best at 2L and 1-1/4H.
Start with the 3/4L & 5/8H and a very charged battery. They start best with a remote starter. Start and warm the motor lean (3/4L & 5/8H) then when getting ready to leave the grid open up both sides.
In race tune we ran many times around 1-1/2L and 7/8H.
I think Gene and I know all of the KWE 60's from this area.
You have Genes # , here is mine 281-222-9540.
I have parts, many carbs, a few clutches, starters, etc. Let me know if I can help. Will sell any of the four motors I have. Not looking to get rich but would rather help out a new kid on the track. Don't let the KWE 60 give you a bad taste of kart racing. There are many good packages to race. Don't get discouraged we will help you get this deal started and there are many that can help keep you going the right direction.

Larry Hargett

George Miller

Post by George Miller » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 am

Thank you both for the quick reply. last night I set the carb at 1 turn out low and 3/4 turn out high. It started right up and ran ok but was still spitting some fuel out the front of the carb with the air box removed.
Is this normal?
I doubt my 7 y/o son will use even 80 percent of the engine potential, I just want to make it as reliable as i can.

L. Hargett
Rookie Poster

Post by L. Hargett » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:12 am

What you see when the air box is removed is normal for a 2-stroke. Run-it and have fun.
Call any time, will be glad to help.

Larry Hargett