S3 class rule clarification requested

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster
S3 class rule clarification requested

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

During the club meeting a couple of weeks ago, it was agreed to add the S2 shifter class as a way to make the S3 class a "novice" class, and more closely follow the Superkarts rule book.
I believe it was agreed that the S3 entries would be left at the discretion of the driver and the race director.

Can I get a clarification as to who is expected to race in this class? I am new to the shifter class this year, and I had initially intended to race in S4, mainly due to my age and weight. I will race in whatever class I am told to enter, and I am happy to race in either class, I am just unsure as to what the threshold of "novice" is.

Can I request that a clarification is added to the 2013 rule book? Will it be based on a minimum lap time requirement, number of years racing at GCKI, or other?

Whatever class I enter in the first race will be the class I race all season.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: S3 class rule clarification requested

Post by Brad Johnson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 pm

I would think given your experience in the TAG you could go into S4 without issue. I don't recall a concrete resolution to the issue at the meeting other than race/competition director input.

Paul Jones
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Paul Jones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm

The original intent of the S3 vs S2 classes was to provide: 1) a method to separate out newer and less experienced drivers if deemed appropriate, and 2) provide a class where those drivers may compete for points and awards that may not be able to if only in the same class as the more experienced drivers. It would be intended that this should be a class that you would move out of with experience and thus performance. We will gather the competition committee together and sort out the guidelines for rules posting.

I would anticipate we will converge on a relative lap time difference to the leaders for determining where the split should be for S3 vs S2 and S4. Formula 1 uses the 107% rule, which would put the split at just over 42 second lap times based on the leaders at 39.4 seconds. this would ensure the S2/S4 back markers would not be lapped, especially during the critical last laps of the race. After reviewing all the previous shifter races and the times posted for qualifying, those that did not break the 42 second mark were the newer racers. All the others easily met the time and were unlikely to be lapped in the race.

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 am

Brad and Paul, thanks.

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Post by Eric Meservey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 am

In My opinion, from the conversation, the intent was:

To provide a class for new and/or slower drivers (Before there was no alternate for shifter drivers, regardless of speed and/or ability)

To provide a place for drivers that are significantly off the race pace. (lacking in racecraft skills -passing, -being passed is a significant secondary concern here.)

To minimize lapping of slower drivers (If the entire field laps you in a 12 lap feature, and you dont have a flat tire, the speed differential, and the slower driver's lack of skill in being passed would be considered dangerous.)

When we left the conversation, at the meeting, we did not set a spec for what consitiuted 'slow' or 'inexperienced'

Perhaps we can include 'soft metrics' language such as.
If your lap time is more than 110% of the fastest driver's time during practice, or qualifying: (meaning it's very likely you will be lapped by the leader pack in a 12 lap feature)
- You should consider changing your class to S3 before any of the heat races
If you have completed 3 or fewer races in a shifter chassis:
- You should consider changing your class to S3
If you are unsure of your competition skill set at this track or in a Kart chassis:
If you are unsure if you are ready to compete in the full open shifter classes:

Mention that at any time before the heat races begin, that a shifter driver may execute a one-time 'Downclass' to S3, and will be placed in S3 starting position based on their presented qualifying time.

Just food for thought, Flame suit on
Eric

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Post by Eric Meservey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 am

One more:

If one or more fellow competitors has introduced themselves, discussed your race-pace, and/or racecraft, and suggested a move to S3: