tall kid in kid kart doesnt fit.

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Alan Moore
tall kid in kid kart doesnt fit.

Post by Alan Moore » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:27 am

I'm having problems getting my 7 year old in the kid kart.its a birel b25 an older one looks the same as the 2007 model. it has a 12 1\2" steering wheel and pedal boxes.

When he sits in the kart he cannot get his legs around the wheel. we can get him in there if we slide his legs under the wheel as he slides down the seat.but once he is in his knee's are in the steering wheel. he can turn it but it is touching.Also his legs are long and has a hard time getting his heel down.most of the time his whole foot is solely on the pedal causing him to ride the brakes.

From what i can tell online i found a smaller steering wheel around 9 1\2 " but as far as a wider seat, longer steering column, or pedals that are bent in a fashion so larger feet can fit i cannot find.

Overall his intestinal fortutude leaves something to be disired so i wanted to work his confedence up on the kids kart first and have him race there for the rest of the year, he turns 8 in july and is 51" tall boys size 3 shoes.

david mckee
The master poster

Re: tall kid in kid kart doesnt fit.

Post by david mckee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Have you moved the seat back? Do you have a picture of the kart? Where do you live are would u be willing to bring it out to hockey/ Waller area I have a smaller wheel u can try and I would like to see the peddle set up u have and the seat location sometimes u can raise the steering shaft too. My number is 713.823.9712 if you want to text or call me will be away from the computer for a while so wil not check back here until later
David McKee

Alan Moore

Post by Alan Moore » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Moved the seat back and it helped out a bunch. he can now get it in it and feels little discomfort while sitting. however the wheel still needs to be changed.Waller is a little far i'm up in the woodlands. Here's a few pics of the pedals with tennis shoe's.thanks for the help.
Attachments
DSCF6034-2.jpg
DSCF6033-2.jpg

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 pm

We had a Birel Kid Kart to start with and had the opposite problem, my son is on the shorter side. I think the pedal boxes may be an issue. On ours, the pedals came mounted in front of the main frame on the loop that the bumper mounts to. We moved them to the pedal box mounted on the floorpan to get them closer to the seat. You should have 2 empty holes on the side of the loop in front of the main frame where you can move the pedals up to. Take the pedals off the boxes and bolt them through these holes (adjusting the cables as needed).

Do a search on "Birel Kid Kart" and you will see some pictures of what I'm talking about.

We also have a Kid Kart forum for Kid Kart specific questions.

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:01 pm

I think you posted pictures while I was writing the previous reply. I see the holes I'm talking about and you can move the pedals up about 6 inches. I can't remember exactly, but the steering column might be shorter than stock as well. We cut ours down to fit and someone might have done that on this one.

Alan Moore

Post by Alan Moore » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for the help kenny i just need to dig up the hardware.didnt really see any technical kind of stuff in the other section so i posted it here ill keep it in the kids kart section in the future.

Another question while im here can i build my own chonda chassis from scratch and race it? (would i post this question in the chonda section or technical?

Alan Moore

Post by Alan Moore » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm

ill further inspect the column.

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm

You probably posted in the right forum for your question, as most of us Kid Kart Dads are still learning. Guys like David and some of the others have already been through it and have been a big help in our learning curve. Just letting you know in case you didn't see it.

Good luck and hope to see you guys at the track soon.

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm seing your post a little late, so sorry for repeating what others have already said. My daughter had the same problem. the foot box needs to be removed, and you can move the pedals to the front (which is the standard pedal mounting position). Use the same hardware that you have now on the foot box.

david mckee
The master poster

Post by david mckee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:26 pm

as long as it passes tech inspection and fits it the rules dosn't mater who builds it there is a wide range of chassis in the chonda class
David McKee

Alan Moore

Post by Alan Moore » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm

thanks for all the help guys, the pedal box mounting hardware for the pedal is different.not a biggy ill find some new.i am going to try to get that wheel from dave and it should be good by then.dave pm'ed.

kenny i should be getting the other kart in the next 2-3 weeks and pay my membership on the fourth week.then i will be there.which leads to another question, do i need a kart stand for practice? and does anyone know of any good parking lots around the woodlands area?

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm

You don't need a stand for practice (by club rules), but you will want one. No driving karts in the pits, so pushing it will get old quick.

Watch the Kid Kart forum for some of us going out for practice. We could have 5 or 6 new Kid Karts this year and getting them out to practive together will help their confidence when you come to race.

Alan Moore

Post by Alan Moore » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 pm

he needs confedence, with only 1\4 throttle available he still rides the brakes.