Safety wire or clips?

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Dan Honovich
Safety wire or clips?

Post by Dan Honovich » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 pm

I picked up a 2005 monza z32 chassis with a prd fireball engine that was in decent shape but poorly maintained so I have been slowly fixing all the issues. The last thing I have to do is make a couple bolts accept safety wire or clips. My question is if you drill out the heads what is the best way to go about doing so. I saw some people buy a drill jig and then use a drill press while others use a vice and drill only. I see some use bolts with clips but I can't seem to find how to make those so I assume they are a buy only item.

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster

Re: Safety wire or clips?

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Dan,

Two ways I use to safety wire bolts is either to drill a hole or turn a groove on the lathe depending on the application. The groove works well when in tight spaces and you want to use a "C" clip. (you can also buy these bolts pre-made. Check your local kart shop) Drilling a hole is very easy and does not require purchased of a jig or drill press. To drill a hole, file a small flat spot on the bolt thread. If the drill still walks, use a center punch. Keep the drill straight and level and drill away. If you want your own jig, drill a hole in a nut. Thread the nut on where you want a hole and drill.

If you are seeing clips used, they were purchased. Safety wire is the simplest and probably most secure. Clips depending on design, may come out. Look for 20g wire at your kart shop or auto supply.

Bryan