Night racing

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Who would run like to run under lights at night?

Poll ended at Thu May 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Should we keep it on Sundays?
No votes
Should we run under lights on Saturdays?
100%

Total votes: 18

Brian Traw
The master poster
Night racing

Post by Brian Traw » Mon May 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Just looking for opinions.........maybe this is really a crazy idea or the best thing since painted curbs!!!! Who would like to race on Saturday afternoons starting at 5:00 going into the evening for a main event race. I know this will take alot of planning and maybe is totally off the wall. Since temps are around 100 degrees in the middle of the day wouldn't it be nice to race when it's 80 in the evenings. Also this would still give some of us more family time since we would have all day on Sundays. Oh yeah I bet you thought I was crazy and didn't think about lights...That's all I've been thinking about; how many, where to put them and how to pay for them. I thought maybe we could rent them the first couple races just to see how well it worked. I know for a fact this would increase attendance at the track from outsiders and non-racers. As club members everyone is now heard, please let's look at this.

Brian

Michael Long
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Michael Long » Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 am

I would jump on that idea like a duck on a june bug! That would allow me to compete for one of the first times in my 2 years of involvement with GCKI since I race cars around the state at least (3) Sundays a month. I know that some might suggest that if I want to run karts then I should make room in my racing schedule for kart competition...I can agree to a point, but with the large amount of $$$ I have invested into racing cars, that would really be hard to justify. Don't get me wrong... I dearly love my kart racing and would never want to give it up, but at other tracks where I DO currently compete...they run late afternoons on Saturdays and heat / temperatures is one of the main reasons.

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Tue May 20, 2008 7:59 am

Brian,

I'm all over that as well. Since you have been thinking about it what is your take on how many, the positioning of the lights and your understanding of cost?

I would say we put that all out there in the open and start getting donations and make it a reality.

I know Michael and David absolutely love racing under the lights from our times last summer in Austin and Denton.

Count MI DI in!
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports

Rick Miller
The master poster

Saturday Nights

Post by Rick Miller » Tue May 20, 2008 8:33 am

I am all for the idea. Costs, planning, labor, safety all must be considered. In addition, we as members cannot continue to come up with great and wonderful ideas and expect 5 or 6 people to plan, construct, manage and maintain the facility with little or no help from members. Our facility is growing rapidly as are the complications that go along with it. It was disappointing to see less than 10 members at the facility on clean up day prior to the SWRC. If we want GCKI to become a first class facility we need more help from our members if we are to contine to grow and expand. My vote is yes, IF we have more participation from members, My vote is NO if the current few are to assume all the responsibility of making racing under the lights a reality. My 2 cents, Rick

Michael Long
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Michael Long » Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 am

I agree wil what has just been posted.

I have on several occasions made strong comments about those that do...and ALL of those that DON'T! I also know without a doubt, without even taking a poll, that the people that complain, whine & moan the most & the loudest do not feel the need to support the club & its facilities in any other manner than "gracing the club with their divine presence" only on race day. Apparently they have been led to expect that their membership fee covers all things and pays for an outside service to maintain the club.......after all it is a
'Private Club" and at private clubs....there are "people" that take care of everything! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! :roll:

Ya know...if certain people do not care or can't participate, maybe we can setup membership levels / fees according to the members desire or ability to participate...IF you don't wanna or can't contribute your time to help maintain..ok...then your membership fee will cost this much, if you only want to participate a little, you pay this much and if you are a faithful giver of your time...you will pay the least amount on the membership sliding scale...which is the current amount required at this time. In that manner those individuals are free to participate at their choice of levels and will not be in the "dog house" due to their choice made & paid. That seems pretty democratic to me, gives a free choice and allows for the extra capital in order to accomplish said tasks / goals. After all, we DO have the least expensive membership level that I am personally aware of.

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Tue May 20, 2008 9:11 am

Rick,

You are absolutely correct we need more participation if we want lights to become a reality at Katy. My intent on further clarification from Brian was to understand what was in his mind. Since my previous post I have already talked with him and he knows I am happy to help in any way to make this happen so again was just asking for further info that is all.

Also, I am sorry for the weak turnout on the clean up day, but it was also planned and then communicated very late to the members and in only speaking for my family we already had family plans scheduled 2-3 weeks prior to any announcement of a work day so I apologize for us not attending.

On the participation front I think you have a very eager member base that wants to plan, participate and put forth effort to continue to make GCKI a first class facility but any and all actions to mature involvement at Katy seemed to start well but fizzle out for reasons that probably are best discussed face to face than in a forum type environment.
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports

Michael Long
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Michael Long » Tue May 20, 2008 9:25 am

Eddie, I can easily agree with your comments. I admit that I do tend to be a bit vocal with regards to extensive membership participation due to my strong feelings about it and past volunteer commitments ever since I was a little kid by being an active participant with my family. I hope that I have not upset anyone ...honestly that was not what my intended desire was.....I apologize ahead of time if I have stepped on any toes....I guess that I really would love to see as much participation from every member as they can readily make available to the club.... it helps to make a more solid & connected group of members..in a perfect world..which is not always the case as we all know....LOLOL! I have such vivid memories of just how great and tight knit clubs could actually be with a larger member involement.

Thanks for the needed comment.

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Tue May 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Michael,

No you're post is spot on! We tend to have a text book 80/20 rule at GCKI with only 20% doing while 80% sit back but then WE ALL have to wonder why that is if you truly wish to rectify the situation and bring the numbers more in line with everyone's expectations.

Your sliding rate comment is something that has been discussed numerous times and I for one would love to see the sliding rate enacted among other things at Katy.

I have always suggested we have a place on the forum that allows the Club, Board and/or Club Execs to post projects, programs in need of resources and other things of the like so the member base can sign and drive the execution and thus become more involved. I am sure there will be replies that state "well just go ahead and do it and manage it". And to that I will say from past direct experience at GCKI before you go down a path and put forth a lot of effort know what you will eventually be allowed to accomplish and complete cause we all got day jobs and not much time after that to spend with our families and to spend time on things and not have them come to fruition is very aggravating.

Thanks for your note and again it was spot on!
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports

Scott Boone
The master poster

Volunteers

Post by Scott Boone » Tue May 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Eddie,

If you were referring to the signage in your post, you have my vote to get them printed and installed. Re the area on the forum to solicit volunteers, it is now done.

Michael Long
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Michael Long » Tue May 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks for that Eddie. It just appears a lot of members possibly don't REALLY realize what you mentioned about "day jobs, families and free time for you & yours." I also consider that those people actually do feel overwhelmed just by their participation and support of their kiddos...but neglecting to picture the reality of the time, expense, efforts behind the scenes that actually take place. I am sure that without having "walked a mile" in "your shoes" that they cannot conceive the sacrifices of the "workers." I also agree with the fact of more involvement from the membership since it is a private facility. Maybe ...just maybe if members could see their part in an active participation of planning, approving & funding they might see our concerns from a different vantage point, along with feeling more involved with the final outcome....who could really say or predict. I actually feel that with all of the growth & expansion of the members & the facility, that a breath of fresh air may possible be in order that would allow the club more latitude to seek new avenues of achieving the "big picture." I would like to suggest that an entire polling of the membership be engaged that allows everyone to share their image perceived of the "perfect " club and how it would be designed to run & operate...... prod the minds of the masses to see where everyone "is" in that regard. Ya never know what lurks out there until you ask...I feel that with such vital input a feasible and truely workable solution may be at hand.....You gotta admit that we have all beaten our skulls to pieces trying to guess what we (as a tiny group) feel is the best plan for everyone...it's kinda like trying to design group activities, feed and satisfy 5,000 individuals...we could do it...sure....no problem really...but imagine for a moment if you were able to pull it off with a generalized consensus of input from the 5,000 individuals....sho' would make it a lot simpler and with the least amount of "waste." Dwell on it for a spell....A well in advance highly publicized, clean intentions explained, regular updates and request for FULL participation polling might just be the missing catalyst that our club could ultimately benefit attaining maximum results with fewr gripes, less wasted time, funds, stresses and aggravations that many deal with on a daily basis....

Ok, unless someone slides another dollar into the slot...this mouth will hush up for a bit!! LOLOLOL!!! I tend to be a bit "long fingered..not long winded." ;)

Brian Traw
The master poster

Post by Brian Traw » Tue May 20, 2008 9:09 pm

Do you want to race at night or not? Out of 151 views of this post we only have 8 people that stated yes so far. At a number like that we might as well only install a pit runner light!!!!!!!! Please get back to the real subject of this post!!!!!!! Rick and myself called the Waller County Judge and JP today to check on noise control. Since we are off a county road there is no noise restrictions. We will still take into consideration how late we would be racing for the neighbors. I don't think anybody would enjoy listening to Scott Boone's outlaw TAG kart at 2:00 in the morning :) Please cast your vote and your opinion.

Michael Long
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Michael Long » Tue May 20, 2008 9:17 pm

ok
Last edited by Michael Long on Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rick Miller
The master poster

Lights

Post by Rick Miller » Wed May 21, 2008 7:12 am

We were thinking the same thing Brian, sorry to divide the lighting issue with member participation questions, both are inertwined. I am all for the lights. If we cannot agree on lighting for the track, how about mini halogen lites fixed to the karts??? :lol: Wait a minute.......I have a vision.....24 Hours of Katy Le Mans!!!! Awesome...first problem .....how can we run extension cords to each kart while racing??? Darrell Haun can fix that. Or maybe each kart can tow a mini trailer/side car with a 1kw generator, that should cover the safety issue :roll:

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Point of note

Post by Eric Meservey » Wed May 21, 2008 7:54 am

When I was in the tower during the SWRC, Don Shrum came up into the tower for the first time on Saturday checking the place out...

Paraphrasing:
The first words out of his mouth 'Place looks great!'
Second words... 'Have you guys thought about putting lights in?'

:-)

I'm all in favor, and can help where I can. (not being a lighting expert)

Heck if there were lights we could do midnight enduros :-) If there were lights, you might never get me off the track :-) Lighting would also make those races in the spring and fall easier, since we wouldnt need to worry about absolutely being wrapped up before dark.

Like Mr Long says, many of the other Texas racing organizations have summer, evening or night programs to beat the heat.

Eric Meservey

Patrick Madison
The master poster

Post by Patrick Madison » Wed May 21, 2008 10:01 am

Saturday nights would work well for us... :idea: We would then be able to attend service at the First Baptist Church of Katy on Sundays.

Traw - I would also like to invite you to attend...Pastor Randy would have a field day with you :!: :lol:
Garrett Madison
Madison Racing
Birel Motorsports
Cadet Sportsman K-80/KPP Sportsman
WKA Manufacturer's Cup