New here

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Ian Mook
New here

Post by Ian Mook » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Hey guys, I am new here, I am looking into starting Karting.
I am 20 years old, and have some money to start, but am definitely on a budget.
If I get into this sport, I plan on waiting until summer because I have to get settled in a few things and make sure that I have the money to start this.
Really all I am doing right now is just trying to learn about the sport and get involved in it in order to make sure I go about it the right way. Due to my age and my experience level, I was thinking that 80cc shifters is gonna be the best place to start and work my way up to 125cc eventually.
because of my budget, I am definently going to need to start with a used kart, what do I need to look for? I have seen some on EBAY for 1200-1500 that look to be good quality and condition.
any Input, advice or anything that I need to research?

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:56 am

It's not an absolute neccessity but try to end up with a brand that's supported by the local shops. It makes part replacement or help a lot easier.

Ian Armstrong
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Ian Armstrong » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:53 pm

The less money you spend on a used kart, the more money you're going to spend in maintenance, replacement parts and upgrading.

John Bartos
The master poster

Post by John Bartos » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Ian - Welcome. We'll look forward to having you out at the track and interacting with the club. You are doing the absolute right thing by doing your homework first. The club has many different classes that compete, and the level of skill and dedication to maintenance and set-up vary widely across them.

Your best work can be done by coming out to the race weekends and interacting with the club members. Everyone is pretty willing to lend their time and expertise to new people - we all had to start somewhere.

You've definitely got a big decision ahead of you in TAG (centrifugal clutch) vs. shifter. They're quite different beasts. Possibly you might wrangle a ride out of someone to try out both. Then you can make a good decision.

We look forward to seeing you out at the races. Stop by and look up our team - we support a six year old girl in a pink kart. Kind of hard to miss us. But we've also campaigned a TAG Jr. and I run a TAG Sr. when no one's around to watch. We'll be happy to show you around and introduce you to some folks.

John

Rick Miller
The master poster

Post by Rick Miller » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Well said John, I agree, do your homework. Ian, I will be glad to answer as many questions as you may have. We will be at Katy, Saturday and Sunday, stop by our pit, # 38X. Sincerely, Rick and Adam Miller

Ian Mook

Post by Ian Mook » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:22 pm

alright, I might be able to make it out there on Sunday, Ill see what I can do.

Jim Garvin
The master poster

Post by Jim Garvin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am

Ian,
I think you're on the right track and agree with John's suggestion to come to the track before you purchase anything. I've been racing 4 years and would provide the following guidance:

- Purchase a complete setup (kart, engine, stand, etc.) if you can. The package will be sorted and you're likely to spend less.

- Take a strong look at TaG Senior. This is a great class and ususally better place to start than shifter

- Avoid an 80cc shifter. These are typically highly modified and require lots of maintenance and cost to replace top ends.

Good Luck.
Jim Garvin
TaG #26T