Why Briggs LO206

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Ted Dziedzic
The master poster
Why Briggs LO206

Post by Ted Dziedzic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Fellow club racers and members,

At the next annual membership meeting, we have a group of racers (me included) who would like to propose and put up for a club vote to bring in the Briggs and Stratton LO206 class in for the 2015 race season. There are numerous advantages to bringing the LO206 onboard as a 4 cycle “Spec Class” in addition to the current Chonda class. I would like provide the following information in support of the LO206 program.

Factory Rules Set
•Briggs Standardized National Rule Set. Similar to SKUSA, TAG, etc.- This ensures that a racer from GCKI can travel to any other local, regional or national event and be assured their power plant is equal to all other participants. Unlike the ROTAX program, Motors are factory sealed and only maintained by the Briggs factory. No Briggs seals leave the factory which maintains the integrity of the program. Link to Briggs Rule Set http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine ... .pdf?la=en

•More information\links on the LO206 can be found @ http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine ... option-206

Current area tracks running the LO206 program:

1.NOLA – New Orleans, La
2.HCKC – New Braunfels, Tx
3.DKC – Dallas
4.NTK – Dallas Area
5.Moore Park- Lafeyette, La

Consistency in Manufacturing
•Briggs Engines are hand assembled to exact tolerances which results in consistent tolerances across the entire spectrum of engines released for public consumption – Essentially everyone gets the same factory blueprinted race engine.

•Consistency in parts from year to year. No wondering if a newer motor is going to have a better flowing head than what you currently have.

•Clones are mass produced with a large variation in tolerances which translates to varying degrees of performance from engine to engine. This results in an uneven playing field directly out of the box before the racer sees the track for the first time.

•No consistency of parts from one year to the next with clones. 5 bolt head, 4 bolt head, varying rocker arm designs, varying head castings and port designs, e-tube designs, etc.. To many variables to properly tech any motor without having working knowledge of every “clone” motor produced.

Durability
•LO206 built upon a race proven platform and are purpose built race engines. Engines are over engineered for the demands of racing resulting in a bottom end life span of 80hrs. Testimonials from racers across the country who have 3+ years on bottom ends and they are as strong today as the day they were purchased. No more extended race days because a clone lost its side cover bolts dumping oil on the track. Do you really like spending your time wiping up oil or would you rather be racing?

•Chonda requires an annual rebuild. Most racers don’t have the tools required to rebuild and typically purchase a replacement motor on an annual basis in hopes to remain competitive.

LO206 Reduced Tuning Requirements
1.No carb tuning required – No Jets to monkey with = reduced parts inventory

2.No timing to set – no knowledge or special tools required for that optimum timing setting. Everyone runs the same factory setting which levels the playing field from a power plant perspective.

3.Built in rev limiter – No worries of racers running illegal valve springs permitting them to get more RPM from any given engine.

4.Simple rules package allows for little to be tuned. This is great for the racer who may not be overly mechanically inclined or have the tools, resources or fiscal capacity to purchase a properly blueprinted engine as some have started doing with Chondas.

5.The LO206 package lets the driver focus on Driving and Chassis tuning. - The key components which make a driver quicker around the circuit and prepares them to advance to quicker classes in a safe and efficient manner.

Cost Comparison - LO206 cost derived from Fastermotors.net, Clone Cost Derived from ARC –All prices sourced week of August 25, 2014

LO206
•INCLUDES
COMPLETE NEW ENGINE
RECOIL STARTER
SPEC AIR FILTER
FUEL PUMP
FUEL LINES
PULSE FITTING
RLV SPEC EXHAUST PIPE
RLV SPEC Muffler
HD STAINLESS STEEL CLAMP
DRILLED HEADER BOLTS
HEADER GASKET
HD STEEL CHAIN GUARD
CHAIN GUARD BOLTS
Add gas and oil and go racing
$629.95
•Add Header Wrap $10
•Custom throttle linkage kit with cable 24.95 - Not required, but a nice to have item

Grand Total $664.90

ARC Clone Package - Equivalent to LO206 Package
•DJ-1015 - ARC Race Ready Box Stock Engine
•DJ-1000 6.5HP BSP Engine w/o fuel tank
•CHOOSE ARC 6619 billet aluminum flywheel (default), OR BSFW-1 steel flywheel
•DJ-1146 ARC top plate/throttle hookup
•6934 ARC billet air filter adaptor
•DJ-1257 Choke hold
•CHOOSE a DJ-1138RLV "weenie pipe" header & muffler kit OR an 18-930HJ large staged header
•Walbro fuel pump
•6877 Pulse inlet fitting
•6899 Angled air filter
•5ft fuel hose
•DJ-1420 "Big Bertha" Chain guard/heat shield
•Special Performance Racing Cam
•DJ-1055MB NEW (as of 7/15/12) Hi-Tension valve springs
•CHOOSE a restrictor plate (if necessary).
•DJ-2225 ".615" bored carb (jetted and blueprinted according to restrictor plate choice)
•Grand Total $550.00

True Cost over a three year period - Average time between bottom end replacements on the LO206. *Not including normal oil changes and maintenance equal across both clones and LO206’s
LO206 cost derived from Fastermotors.net, Clone Cost Derived from ARC

LO206 - Original $665 Investment – Add oil, gas and go race
Yr. 2 - Annual Valve Job – Est. $100
Yr. 3 - Annual Valve Job – Est. $100

End of three years - Market value for worn LO206 engine is $20O - $250. Builders are repurposing blocks and building as modified engines. Reference – Jimbo @ fastermotors.net
Total $865
Resell value of LO206 -$200
3 Year Grand Total $665

Chonda Original Investment $550
Yr. 2 - Annual long block replacement - $155
Yr. 3 - Annual long block replacement - $155
Valve spring refresh $30 per year (Conservative Side as you usually purchase multiple springs to find a set that will pass the 10.8 lb. spec)
Recommended Stud kit to secure side cover - $20
End of three years you toss collection of motors if you don’t have the tools, knowledge or confidence to rebuild your own motor.
3 Year Grand Total - $910

Rebuild or Race?
The Chonda engines permit the racer to disassemble engine and inspect internal parts, replace rings, connecting rod, crank, etc. if engine damage is suspected.
The Chonda engines permit the racer to rebuild on an annual or more frequent basis as needed.
The LO206 lets the racer “Race” with its proven track record of durability and an average of three years before a new bottom end is required. This is “Worry Free Racing” at its best.

Misc. Considerations
•Easy post-race tech due to National Rule Set and simplicity of sealed engine package.
•Clutch, chain guard, and fuel pump can be used from existing clone.
LO206 is a faster motor out of the box than any tuned or blueprinted Box Stock Clone engine. We all want to go a little bit faster, don't we?
•Use your current Chonda chassis. It might actually work better due to the increased power and torque output from the LO206
•No More Oil Spills on track from side covers coming loose! – Protect the clubs track from oil spills
•If you like to tune and tinker with Engines - This class is not for you!
•Ease of class implementation with National Rule set and using existing tracks rules as a guideline to establish weight breaks for the LO206 classes.

Rob Brown
The master poster

Re: Why Briggs LO206

Post by Rob Brown » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:28 am

Very well written Ted. Makes all the points it needs to make I think. I for one will vote yes on the addition of the LO206. I like the idea of being able to just race and not tinker. I also like the idea of being able to travel to other tracks and know I will be able to race without trying to adhere to a different set of rules. My father lives near the Hill Country track and I wanted to start racing there but they changed over to the LO206 to replace the Chonda's. Last year I was also thinking about trying to put together a regional circuit race series for the Chonda but soon realized that would be too difficult dues to all the different rules. LO206 takes care of that and could make a regional series possible. Why should only the TAG and Shifter guys get to have a circuit series that employes several different tracks?

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:45 am

I vote yes as well. I might actually race in this class from time to time.

Mark Kozak

Post by Mark Kozak » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:31 am

Are these briggs motors faster than the chondras or about equal? Could they run together? I know there is a big chondra following out there. I wouldn't want to alienate all those people. But with the New Caney track opening in the spring time, I bet the briggs class will be present out there as well. I think it would be a fine class to add to the clubs repertoire, if there's room and time to run it. I'd vote for it. It does give members alternative racing sights to visit and experience. The hill country track would be a nice weekend getaway also.

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:52 am

Mark,

Ted ran his LO206 at one event and he was maybe 1-2 seconds faster per lap than a Chonda so it would indeed make sense to run them together.

Patrick

Ted Dziedzic
The master poster

Post by Ted Dziedzic » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Chris Watts ran my LO206 yesterday after the racing finished up. He clicked off very low 47's with a best time of 46.80. Keep in mind, He has never sat in the Margay and very little tuning has been done to the chassis. I am guessing, kart and driver might have been around the 320lb mark. If we go with something along the lines of what other clubs in the area are using for weight breaks (370-385 range), I am hoping we will be pretty deep in the 47's.

Ted

Richard Mortensen

Post by Richard Mortensen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:36 pm

It makes good sense to me. I'm voting for it. Mike with RPM let me know that they are going to stop carrying parts for the Chonda, but will support the LO206.

Boyd Atherton

Post by Boyd Atherton » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:43 am

I'm an NTK member and our current class is Animal Box Stock Heavy 370 lbs. We basically run an LO206 but with the 12000 rpm coil and a Robertson header. I'm hoping next year we will go to a true LO206 class. Hopefully we'll have the weight at around 370-375. There's been a lot of talk about us moving in that direction.

This past weekend I went to HCKC and ran at Kartoberfest. I switched my kart over to a true LO206 and ran the Senior Stock class. This class is mix of the Chondas/clones and LO206. The weights are 360 for Chonda and 375 for LO206. There was a good mix of Chonda and LO206 in the class. HCKC has quite a few people running 4-cycles. There was also a pretty good sized group of 4-cycles running their bracket classes.

In the Senior Stock the Chondas were faster. The top running Chondas were turning 6800-6900 rpms. This was my first time running a true LO206 and the HCKC track, so figuring the correct gear to run was a bit challenging. I ran most of the weekend about a 1 second off the top chonda and about .5 off the best LO206. Having said all that I think their weight handicap is a little off. But it was some close and fun racing.

Hope this info helps. I'd love for area tracks to get on board with the LO206 and have similar weights.

One of friends is running a JR LO206 on a Kid Kart and he just started his 11 yr old with an LO206 on a cadet kart.

Charles Borsos

Post by Charles Borsos » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:39 pm

I would like to know how they are turning 6800-6900 rpm with Box Stock legal springs and valve train components. Do they have a local rule?

Charles

Sydney Jim

Post by Sydney Jim » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:04 pm

I vote yes as well =)
2012 Birel S-4 w/ LO206 - #83
2009 Radical SR3-RS - #83 NASA SU/TTU
2013 Radical RXC - #63 Xperience

Tony Hager

Post by Tony Hager » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:10 pm

I am also from NTK and look forward to us all getting on the same Rule package. I just wanted to confirm what all Boyd had said in a previous reply. We have run the Briggs LO206 on my sons Cadet Kart and have had no maintenance issues at all during the year. Another of our members is completing his 5th season and has done nothing to his motor but Change the oil after every other race. I even ask him about how often he had changed his spark plug and he hasn't even done that as of yet.
Tony Hager
www.urtkarts.com
940-898-8000

Mark Kozak

Post by Mark Kozak » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:52 pm

So if I read Boyd's remarks correctly, the briggs and the chondras can be very competitive with each other through weight restrictions. How about changing out the restrictor plates on the chondras? Would that help or make a difference? Just trying to make it so the existing chondra investments aren't over looked. I know some people have multiple engines sitting around as well as rebuilding parts. Let's not waste those or alienate those drivers. I would think that would help make passage of this new (to GCKI) engine package more acceptable to the membership. Ya, I know it's politics, but nowadays, what isn't?

James Cobarruvias

Post by James Cobarruvias » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Just a few comments:

I am from HCKC and we just completed the first year with the LO206. HCKC has had remarkable success with this motor and we have about 12 members who raced it. Our track Champion for the Senior Stock class raced an Lo206. We compete with the clones and our weights are as follows: 360lbs for the clones, 375lbs for the Briggs. We tested the Briggs at 360lbs and none of the clones could keep up. So we finally negotiated a weight of 375lbs and I think we may drop this to 370lbs by next year.

Initially our intent was to phase out the clones but the membership pushed backed and was not ready to abandon the clone. In time I think we may see either two different classes or ultimately the clone will phase out. As a previous clone racer I can testify that the Briggs is everything that is advertised. The ability to travel to other tracks and race is a benefit to Karting as a whole. I recently went to the 4 cycle showdown in Phoenix, AZ. and a remarkable experience.

WKA and IKF have some differences in the Lo206 spec but our track decided to adopted the specs directly from Briggs. If you all do start the program please send me a message. There are several of us at HCKC that would love to come race with you all.

Ted Dziedzic
The master poster

Post by Ted Dziedzic » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:05 pm

James

Great to hear! This subject comes up for a club vote on Jan. 7. and we will let you know the outcome. Even though we only run as an Open\Exhibition class with the clones at present, probably 50% of the regular clone racers have already purchased their LO206's with others waiting for the official club approval before pulling the trigger on their purchase. It has honestly provided some excellent racing thus far and this past weekend, I had more fun than I ever had with a clone bolted to the chassis. What I have noticed, is the racing in most instances is so close, if we get stuck behind a slower clone in the turns, it's difficult to make up that lost time. Here's a link to a video from this past Sunday that one of our LO206 guys put together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJpDY3wU70M
Hope to see you at GCKI next race season.
Ted

Boyd Atherton

Post by Boyd Atherton » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:32 am

Just a quick FYI on the LO206 class at NTK. We had our rules meeting on Saturday and we voted on weights for our LO206 classes. For the Senior LO206 we are going to run 340 and 375. This is the same as Dallas Karting Complex ran with their LO206 class in the fall.

LO206 weights
Kid Kart 175 4100 rpm coil, long black slide
Junior 1 260 6100 rpm coil, green slide
Junior 2 300 6100 rpm coil, yellow slide
Senior 340 and 375

Looking forward to the class taking off this year.