Tuesday-Track Work Days

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster
Tuesday-Track Work Days

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 pm

In spite of some sketchy weather early in the afternoon, which cleared up, we had another successful work day. Todays volunteers included:

Joe Bauhs
Richard Mortensen
Brad Johnson
James Garvin
Andretta Young
Andretta's Dad, AKA Dave Young
John Bartos
Bill Choice

Joe spent several hours on his Kabota tractor clearing the front fence line, getting it ready for fence installation. I'm jealous his tractor is newer and prettier than mine. Oh well, most of me and my stuff is getting a little older. Richard has single handidly tackled the front gate. After power wire brushing the gate, he washed it with phosphoric acid, then primed and painted. Don't expect that gate to rust for a while. Brad Johnson is the weedeater king. If he does not hear you very well, give him a break. He has spent hours cutting weeds along the pit runners and fence lines. Jan has also done her share clearing all the curbing in prep for painting. For shame all you male chauvinists, team Andretta with her Dad (Dave), John Bartos and Brad got the painting started on the track curbing. They cleared the curbs, wire brushed everthing and blew them clean. Andretta started painting in late afternoon and continued until dark. The last thing I heard her mumble was something about anyone driving on the curbs was "toast". Jim Garvin, Joe and Richard all worked on the barrier installation. I had to make sure the barriers were straight.

So, here is where we are at:
1. The barrier system is installed
2. The front gate is painted (unless I talk Richard into a second coat)
3. 98 percent of the tires are moved (there may be a dozen under the pine trees still to be moved)
4. Painting on the track curbing is underway. Most of the white stipes have been painted. None of the red.
5. Very significant headway has been made in clearing weeds (some more to go)

Wednesdays activities will include the following as time permits

1. Continued painting on the curbing
2. Start fence installation
3. Install barrier post at electrical box
4. Install foundation for new flag stand (If Joel is ready)
5. Stake down landscapers cloth under barriers
6. Continue weed and grass cutting as necessary

Outstanding items:
1. Move remaining tires
2. Remove 3 pine trees on left side of track
3. spray paint barrier posts at wellhead and electrical box
4. Install new paper towel dispensers in restrooms
5. Install 4 flag poles
6. Police the entire facility for trash

Thank you to all who are participating in this work
Bryan and Jan