anybody out there?

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Matt Blehm
Loud Mouth Poster
anybody out there?

Post by Matt Blehm » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:27 am

It's no fun spending time and money only to show up and watch your kid drive around by herself!

Michael Priess

Re: anybody out there?

Post by Michael Priess » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am

Hi Matt,

I got a kart from a member in September and we've been out there (my son is 6) about every other Saturday or Sunday very early because of other activities. If he's interested I am planning on doing the race with him in December and then the Spring series next year before moving to cadet. Text me (281 250-7452) if you want to coordinate, but for us the early weekend mornings are the only possible dates for now and then I was hoping to do a good bit over the Thanksgiving and Winter holidays.

Matt Blehm
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Matt Blehm » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Michael, thanks.
my daughter is 6 as well. certainly not ready to move up to cadets, and isn't going to get there with practicing by herself. Racing & chasing is the only way I think I'll see further progress from her at this point.

Also no fun to pay for a race day to be the only one in her class, so we pay $65 for a practice day which would be free any other day of the month.

I would definitely like to get her out there with someone else. our schedule is pretty open, so we can likely hit saturday morning as well- at least this week anyway!

Ryan Van Winkle

Post by Ryan Van Winkle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:22 am

We just picked up a kart from a local member and hope to have our daughter out in the spring. We will join up and start doing as much practice as we can at the track (I bought a kart for myself so she can follow along and play chase), so hopefully we can get her up to speed for wheel-to-wheel with y'all soon.

Ryan Van Winkle

Post by Ryan Van Winkle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 am

Quick question, have y'all found a good place to pick up cheap kid gear? We obviously want her to be safe, but don't need to spend a premium on items that she will grow out of in a year.

Matt Blehm
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Matt Blehm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 am

Wow, sorry for no reply.. It's been a bit busy around our place since Harvey and the end of road racing season for me. (And I now have a house and two wrecked cars to fix! :( )

For safety gear, the best place I've found is to go to the track and talk to the cadet parents.. There's lots of boys that have just grown out of their gear in the last couple years and probably still stuff worth getting rid of.

I bought a used suit for pretty cheap, but we bought the helmet, shoes, and neck brace new because we either got them on superduper sale or just wanted the security of new safety gear. (not to mention the funk that could be present in used shoes and helmets!!)

Travis Short
The master poster

Post by Travis Short » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:15 am

We've got some used gear. I've got a helmet and chest protector that we've outgrown.
If I'm at the track, come see me. I'm in a 24' black trailer and black Ford F-150 Raptor.
-Travis

Bennie Quinn
The master poster

Post by Bennie Quinn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Don't give up I'm getting my 4 year old granddaughter started in kid karts look at some of the other tracks to go to with a bigger group I hope to have her out there soon

Ray Peters

Post by Ray Peters » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Bernie, When you say getting your 4 year old started, how are you getting her started at 4? I have a 4 year old with an August birthday so I was thinking he couldn't race until 2019.

Matt Blehm
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Matt Blehm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 am

Ray,
There's nobody preventing your 4yr old from at least coming out and practicing, although the rules do not allow them to race until they're 5.

I'm also not quite sure on the wording, but the way I understand the rules, if your kid turns 5 in August 2018, they are allowed to start on their 5th birthday, as they will be 5yrs on dec 31, 2018.. ???

Just last week at the awards group I heard rumor of them requiring the Honda engine next year.. as my wife gets emails from the club, I 'didn't get the memo' about the rule changes...

I'm trying to find a Honda motor now, but we may be out there with last year's Comer.. would be nice if there was a sunset clause in place so we had time to move over..