Help! Fuel Pump Problems

80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Brad Knebel
Help! Fuel Pump Problems

Post by Brad Knebel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I have a project I've been working on, pretty much old race kart frame I've been converting to a shifter kart. Gotten it to run but only when I prime the carb by pouring gas in. The fuel pump is on, using a vacuum line from the intake boot but its not getting enough gas on its own. It's a cheap $12 pump from eBay. Do I need a bigger pump? How many liters per hour? 1990 kx 125 engine, 5 speed. I've found pumps with 17, 35, and 55 liters per hour. I'm almost certain my current pump is too weak. Will a single outlet work, or do I have to have the dual outlet with a return line to the gas tank? Thanks for reading my thread and please help. *Brad K*

Jeb Woods

Re: Help! Fuel Pump Problems

Post by Jeb Woods » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 am

Get a round Mikuni pump or better yet, a pumparound system and carb that is modified for that system.
Also your pressure line should be plumbed into to the base of your cylinder not in your intake boot..
You should take a look at a kart that has a proper setup so you know how it works and you get the right stuff the first time!! If not, you will be in for some frustrating times..

Jeb Woods

Re: Help! Fuel Pump Problems

Post by Jeb Woods » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Sorry, I have a correction, the pulse line is not located the base of the cylinder, its on the case just past the reed cage..