2008 Rules

80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Scott Boone
The master poster
2008 Rules

Post by Scott Boone » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:29 pm

I believe we adopted some pocket-book-friendly rules for all the shifter classes at GCKI. We adopted the SKUSA 2006-2007 rules accross the board including tires.

For 2008, all our club shifter races will run MG Yellow tires as the spec tire. SKUSA continues to run this tire in the supernats for all classes including the Super Pro class. It is a very durable tire and performs consistently from the first lap to the last lap. This will allow scrubs to run for a club event and still be competitive with those running new tires. This will save us all money, you wont have to run new tires to qualify first!

Just as a comparison, last year we raced Rock Island and ran both ICC Senior classes. The King of the Streets class (icc) ran YHB and the 125 World Street Champ class ran MG Yellow. To get seat time everyone ran both classes. The tires performed equally but the BS were about two tenths faster through the weekend for the fastest drivers. The biggest difference is, we have run the MGs two race weekends since but the Bridgestones were trashed after RI. In fact, we ran the Supernat mgs from the year prior as our scrubs for Rock Island. They are simply more durable tires.

The cool thing is, the track record at GCKI for 2008 will be held by racers running the same tires. If you just want to spend money, buy new brake pads but dont waste it on gummy tires. While you are spending your money we will be having fun racing. This is what is great about club racing, the members vote with fun-for-the-buck in mind. We are going to have a great 2008 shifter field, come race with us!

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:44 pm

Scott,

Just to clarify, will it be the MZ or the FZ compound? For the Prokart Challenge and the Winternats series SKUSA specs the MZ but at the Supernats they spec the FZ. I'm not sure of availability of the FZ, maybe that's why they only use them for the Supernats.

Maybe the SWRC will see the reason in making the same decision so we wouldn't need to get different tires for a few events. But maybe they will get a tire deal which will dictate what they spec. Guess we'll see.

Scott Boone
The master poster

fz vs mz

Post by Scott Boone » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 pm

I will look into it tomorrow. Both have the same durometer but the mz has more contact area. I will find out from MG which would be a better tire for out track. Good question.

Jim Garvin
The master poster

Post by Jim Garvin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:59 am

For club racing do we really need to specify MZ vs FZ? Why not just leave the spec as MG Yellow since different series use them both. Seems it would the easiest on the racer's wallet.
Jim Garvin
TaG #26T

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:18 am

I don't know if there is any cost difference in the two so maybe it can be either one without costing the racers anymore money. I just don't know about the availability of the FZ. Also from the newbie's point of view, if you spec two then comes the perception of an inequality. Most of us know there isn't much difference between the MZ and the FZ but get a new guy to believe you, not so easy all the time. I like either the MZ or FZ so it doesn't make much difference to me.

Beyond that it might hurt anybody that wants to run SWRC unless they change also or we need two different tires for the events. That might be what would keep me from any SWRC event, I don't go to all of them anyway but I would stay away from the Katy event if it meant buying a set of tires. Before GCKI and Space City allowed both the Bridgestone and MG, I thought because it would save the racers money but I don't know that for sure. On the flip of all that I heard a rumor that the SWRC wasn't going to happen this year so it might not matter.

Jim Garvin
The master poster

Post by Jim Garvin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:20 pm

Brad,
What I meant by allowing any MG yellow at Katy was a racer could use the tire that was permitted at the tracks they wanted to run. This way they wouldn't need to switch from MG to FZ or vise versa when they attended other tracks and Katy.
Jim Garvin
TaG #26T

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:19 am

That would be fine by me, I haven't really looked to see what the other clubs call for. For those that run the Space City races it just says MG Yellow, like Scott said and you suggested. I only brough up the point since Scott referenced SKUSA and even SKUSA specs out both for some reason. I would be good with the rules being simply MG Yellow. Does anyone expect there will be a change in the SWRC rule? I don't know if there might be some racers who race club events and then might want to run the SWRC if it comes to Katy and then will need a set of tires for one event.

Dave Pauly
The master poster

Post by Dave Pauly » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:21 pm

ProKart pretty much exclusively imports the MZ's, but runs FZ's at the Supernats (remember the tire screw up in '06, Scott). The retail price is about a buck a tire less on the MZ's, but ProKart charges two bucks a tire more ($190 a set). We sell FZ's for $186 a set. The compounds are the same. The front tire profile is flat on the MZ, rounded on the FZ. The '08 version of the FZ is a little less rounded than the previous one.

If it's a Yellow it is legal!
3G Kart Racing, LLC.
21815 Katy Freeway, C116
Katy, Texas 77450
Tel: (281) 599-0851 Fax: (832) 932-1451
http://www.3gkartracing.com