New guy here with a couple of questions

80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Michael King
New guy here with a couple of questions

Post by Michael King » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking to getting into a 125cc shifter class of kart and I've never raced nor driven shifter karts. I used to race clutchless Yamaha KT100 karts in Australia about 15 years ago, but the cost to move to shifters back then was ridiculous. My goal always was to go to shifters, and now that I'm on my feet, I think it's time.

My plan is to mainly come to the track for practice initially, with the intention of racing some time down the line when my confidence and skills get better.

I'm 44 years old, 205lbs. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction here, and have a couple of questions.

1. Which class would be popular for us 'older' guys that aren't so lean anymore? Especially for shifter. I see there is the G1 125cc Masters Shifter, and also the S4 Master Stock Moto (125cc?). I see they cater to my vintage and weight, but is that a popular class at GCKI? I don't want to rock up with my new kart to find I'm the only one in the class...it would be best to have some people to race against at some stage.

2. I realize there may be a lot of options, but what kind of kart and motor should I be looking at? And if I bought used, what would I need to look for?

3. Or....am I insane to think that I can even drive a shifter after being out of the game for so long?

4. One other thing important to me at this time, is I need/want electric start. I think I'm over running next to the thing and launching into the seat with my foot on the gas!

Lots of questions I know! I hope someone has some patience and can steer me well. Thanks in advance,
Mike

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Re: New guy here with a couple of questions

Post by Patrick Roth » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

1) The most popular class for what you are looking for is the S4 class.
2) The motors for the S4 class are stock (no mods) Hondas. As far as the kart goes I would suggest going with one of the brands supported by a local shop. These comprise of CRG, Birel, and Intrepid. With that being said there are others out that are great karts, just don't have the local support. Tony Kart is another good brand and Praga is starting to develop a presence. Given your size I would recommend a 32mm chassis but this is just my opinion.
3) Shifter pilots are generally insane so you might fit right in. ;) Just kidding. We have an S2 driver who is in his 50's (he runs S2 because his weight allows him to do so) and runs up front so age is not the determining factor. It is very demanding on the body so being in shape and dedicating the time to stay in shape (like any other sport) is helpful, if not required.
4) You are able to start the kart on the stand with a rope or you can buy the electric start add on that is out there. I have yet to see one of the electric start packages in person so I can't tell you how well it may or may not work.

For reference, I run in S4 with a CRG kart. I'm happy to help/answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to email me directly at proth0303@gmail.com or call at 630-453-0834. I am currently aware of some nice used shifter packages that are out there and I'd be happy to point you in their direction.

Best Regards,
Patrick