80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

andy marcer
Rotax DDS

Post by andy marcer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 pm

New to karting
I have already bought a CRG with a TM 125 shifter
But I like the Idea of the Rotax DDS more
Is there anyone running them? I am 42 yrs old and have never raced a kart.
Yes Yes I know the TM is a bit crazy, so i gave that one to my bud who will race with me. (he won an Italian rally car championship so he'll be just fine).
And yes I know the CR125 class is the biggest thing. But when I looked at the Rotax DDS I really fell for that engine.
So I hope some DDS guys are out there at Katy.
And is there anyone out there with a really young driver (5yrs) who could help me get my lil Enzo going in he's Primo or Tony kart? ( have not decided which one yet)

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster

Re: Rotax DDS

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Andy,

Excuse my ignorance because I am not familiar with all the rotax platforms, but are you talking about a DD2. This would by a 125 with two speed shift. These appear from time to time at Katy, but not enough for a separate class. The two speed platform can be a little difficult to combine with other classes. They sometimes run with shifters and sometimes with TAG, but neither class is a perfect fit. If you have not bought anything, I would strongly encourage you to come to the track and talk to the members. This would give you an opportunity to really select the best platform to race at Katy. As a new driver, I would encourage you to stay away from the shifters and look at TAG. It was some of the best advice I was given when I started karting. We have a race tomorrow, June 19. Come on out, talked to the members, join the fun. Hope to see you there.

Bryan

andy marcer

Post by andy marcer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:47 pm

i meant dd2 sorry
yep see you tomorrow

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:00 am

Andy,

glad to hear you're coming out today. look for me out there, I'm running # 46
Jean-Michel

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Andy,

Hope you made it to the race on Sunday. Sorry I did not meet you. If you did make it, was there an opportunity to meet members and talk about the various racing classes. Do you have any more questions we can help you with?? As a TAG driver I am going to encourage you to race TAG. I do however have one of each adult class kart and have raced them all. TAG is easier to drive (not that easy) and if you ask around, most experienced drivers will steer you to TAG, if just starting out. We had 4 TAG masters at the last race and were missing about 4, do to other committments. That is not a bad field and we continue to look for more drivers. This summer we have about 8 senior drivers we combine with the masters. It makes for some great racing. Hope you are still interested and we will be seeing you at the track.

Bryan

andy marcer

Post by andy marcer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 pm

more interested than ever. And I agree about the TAG . I am trying to get a good deal on one as we speak.
But the DD2 really speaks to me. I just love that concept. And will be buying one of those first. If I have to ride around by myself , that"s ok . My mission is to get more DD2 s out there. What a great concept.
My good friend Lucio hes Shifter arrived today. WOW its awesome.
So I will be bringing a bunch of new faces from the bike business to karting (Hopefully on DD2)

SO GREAT TO SEE YOU THERE JM

andy marcer

Re: Rotax DD2

Post by andy marcer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:03 pm

will be collecting my dd2 this week end for a test spin. Also I hope Lucio will fire up that TM and I hope this will get lil Enzo all fired up about he's kart. (which he has not seen). Was also going to try get a tag kart but that offer was not accepted. But i have not given up yet.
Also can some one please remind me which exhaust is outlawed on the 100cc yamaha. Is it the one that looks like a lil coffee can out the ex port. Or is that the Legal one?
Most 100s I see have this strange looking can on the EX port????
I am trying to buy two or three of these karts to invite my friends out with me and just wanted to know what a suitable muffler would be. (actually I want to race that class too)

Mike Jones

Post by Mike Jones » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:41 am

We are pushing all the 35-up year old guys into the DD2 class. Other TAG classes are absolutely DEAD around here! We feel the DD2 is a great concept with electric start, shifting and big horsepower. We have sold several already and should be a fairly big class by October 1-2/ SWRC Dallas Karting Complex.

Mike Jones
Dallas Karting Complex
The Kart Shop, LLC
903-527-KART

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:37 am

While those involved in karting hate to discourage a new prospect, this type of dialogue is very frustrating. What has hurt karting the most is the abundance of racing platforms, which splits classes and dilutes competition. Kart racing is expensive and chasing racing platforms in a quest for competition is outside the limits of most budgets and drives people out of the sport. Most manufacturers and some kart shops push products that are not in the best interest of the Club racer and local club competition. Most club racers have invested in a specific class and it is not just the kart. Multiple engines, axels, drivers, chains and spare parts make up an extensive inventory of equipment to keep even a club kart on the track. At Katy, adults primarily support 3 classes. Chonda, Stock Honda Shifter and TAG(Leopard & Rotax 125). Whatever Club someone chooses to race at, it would be encouraged that they join the competition in the supported classes, improve the experience for themselves and current members, and add value to the significant investment current members already have in the sport.

Best Regard,
Bryan

andy marcer

Post by andy marcer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:21 pm

well I got my DD2 . And I think it must be one of the awesome things for an old fart like me. I was insatantly comfortable going with the machine. And have changed my mind on buying a single speed go kart.
Actually Yuliya my wife liked it so much I bought her one too. I dont think she will race it for now.
I hope the club will support the class and if I have to drive to dallas to race. Oh well we did it for those chinese bikes we raced. I will support my local tracks anyway .
Well I hope there will be a spot for me to race at Katy. If not I will help Lucio and I have another friend who has bought a shifter kart. Maybe I can just practice.

Scott Boone
The master poster

Post by Scott Boone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 am

Andy,
The dd2 has been around for years but has not caught on at GCKI, NTK, Hill Country etc.. Houston has a handful of dd2s but I dont remember many entries at gcki over the past 5 years. We had one dd2 at the last swrc and another the year before. That is not to say the class wont grow in the future but odds dont look too good right now. I think you will find more competition with the CRG TM you bought than the DD2. We do have some of the tms show up and race with the stock shifters.

GCKI supports any classes our members and visitors want to race but our class rules usually focus on what people raced the year before. Regardless, we will find a class to combine you with if you decide to come race with us on race day. Have fun and welcome to karting!

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 am

Andy,

Bring it out this weekend, should be fun.