New guy needs advice/help

80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Tony Ashcraft
New guy needs advice/help

Post by Tony Ashcraft » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 am

Hey all. I’ve wanted to get into a shifter kart for quite some time now; Recently I bought a kart that was partially assembled thinking I would finish the job and be on my way. Now that reality has settled in, I realize that I am in WAY over my head on this deal. The kart came with a CR 80 motor, the wheels are on, brakes are on, but no brake lines, radiator, and all the cables need to be done as well.

I do have some mechanical inclination, but I am as new as they come to shifter karts. I have no point of reference or experience to draw on. If anyone knows of somewhere I can take this to for service, or of anyone who works on these things, PLEASE let me know. If anyone here would like to lend their services, I’m more than willing to compensate you for your time. Otherwise I’ll be posting in the classified soon. Right now I’m feeling like I have made a huge mistake.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: New guy needs advice/help

Post by Brad Johnson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 am

What part of town are you located? There is really only one stand alone shop in Houston right now, 3G Karting in Katy. They are a big supporter of the club and regional series.

If you are somewhere nearby I'd be willing to visit with you to see what you have and need. What brand of chassis do you have? This sounds like the kart that was on Craigslist not to long ago.

Tony Ashcraft

Post by Tony Ashcraft » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes indeed it is the Craigslist Kart......I have no idea abbout the chassis I can't find any markings on i anywhere.I was recently powdercoated I think in the prep. whatever markings it had were lost. I can post pics if that helps.

I'm in Pearland. I have a shop at 288/518 with most of what we need. If you could help, I would certainly appriciate it. Thanks for the response.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Well that sort of rules out a visit, at least for now, as I'm on the North side by the Woodlands. If you can send some pics that might help in the i.d., mainly the brake components. It looks to be older, whatever brand it might be. I guess the sellers definition of "all the stuff" didn't match what is normal and customary.

Tony Ashcraft

Post by Tony Ashcraft » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Actually I think most of the stuff is there. There are a few things that don't add up for me. But yeah, to your point it was a "put it together and go" discription, but it seems like a little more than that at this point.

The single bigest issue I see is how exactly to mount/position the motor. I'll take some pictures of what I have.

Thanks Brad!

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Tony,

the best thing you can do, if you can spare some time and a few $$, is to go talk to the guys at 3G. If you have all the parts for the kart, I am sure they can help you.

Ray Aguirre
The master poster

Post by Ray Aguirre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Tony, I am located not to far from you: Beltway8 @ I-45 Gulf Fwy. Sagemont area. Maybe I can help ya. You can call me at 832-643-7398, Ray.