Next Katy race

80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Brad Cramer
Next Katy race

Post by Brad Cramer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:06 pm

I would like to race my stock moto at the next Katy race, over 35 class. Need advice on what I should be focusing on with tech inspection and weight and any on track advice/etiquette for neophyte racer. Have not raced (karts) before.
Thanks!

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: Next Katy race

Post by Brad Johnson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 am

The class you enter will be called S4, Stock Honda Masters, I think it's #15 on the reg. sheet. We do race all the shifters together though. Weight should be 405# min., tech wise you should make sure that all the steering and braking components have tie wire or e-clips on all the bolts. Throttle and brake pedals as well, brake should have a back up cable (some older karts don't). Front wheels should have a clip or wire so that the hub can't come off. If you have any added lead to make weight it should be painted white and it must be double nutted or tie wired as well so it can't fall off. NO antifreeze in your radiator, either straight water or water with Water Wetter, no glycol based coolant. Make sure you have proper safety equipment, Snell 2005 or newer helmet, full finger gloves, driving suit, shoes, neck brace (foam is legal, Leatt type is better), a rib vest is advisable not mandatory. If you have new tires (MGs) you will probably want to remove some grip from the kart because the tires provide quite a bit and it's been contributing to some rib issues. Probably have left some things out.

As for on track advice/etiquette, go to the bottom of the home page and there is a link to "Driver Rules". Pretty good set of information to go by. Not sure what your racing experience is so some of it might be common sense or stuff you know. You will probably have to start at the back of the field for a few races with an "X" on your helmet (might want to do that anyway), sort of the rookie hazing if you will for safety. We had a shifter group meeting last race to discuss some things as far as holding a line, using hand signals to allow overtaking drivers to pass you safely. Some things will depend on how quick you get up to speed or handle the kart. Surely, the race director will be keeping an eye on things to make sure all is safe and maybe we will have another shifter specific group meeting to explain or answer any questions you have of us.

Brad Cramer

Re: Next Katy race

Post by Brad Cramer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Good stuff, thank!