Looking to get into shifters..help?

80Jr and Sr, 125 Senior, Stock and Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

rhett howell
Looking to get into shifters..help?

Post by rhett howell » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:42 am

I toyed with idea of getting a shifter few years back but never did. I'm 47 and have been racing mx for 30 years ( even had a TM 300MX ), with the last 15 mainly vintage, which still do and no plans to stop. I would really like to get a shifter this year to just have some fun, maybe race some, but primarily just go out and cut some laps. I don't have much spare weekend time as my son's baseball/football consumes that. I'd love to get some input/advice as to what would best fit me as all the stock moto / ICC is over my head, just want to have some fun. Heck even bought a Sparco suit off ebay to get the ball rolling. I'm 6'2" 235lbs if that matters any. Thanks to all, have a great one....Regards--Rhett

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: Looking to get into shifters..help?

Post by Brad Johnson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:40 pm

If all you intend to do is play and run laps pretty much any used combo would probably cover that. I'm no expert on every type of engine so this is just my opinion. Mod'ed motors usually need alot of upkeep to keep them in top race form. Mod'ed 80 and 125cc motors will need top ends alot for racing, same with and ICC. You might be able to run a mod'ed engine alot for play laps, I really don't know, probably wouldn't notice a performance drop unless something happened.

I would think any motor in a stock form would last a long time for lap days. Get a seat that fits you, maybe get some help getting it mounted. Have fun learning about the 4 wheel fun we have. I've seen a few on craigslist lately, do search for race karts, karts, or kart.

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:42 am

Rhett,
I thought I might add to Brad’s response. There are two distinct kart platforms adults are racing at GCKI, TAG and shifter. Within each are various engine packages all being 125’s. In TAG, Rotax and Leopard engines are the most common. In shifter, stock, modified Honda and ICC seem to be run the most. Most people would suggest you start your racing career running TAG. However, weight is an issue. A typical TAG kart will weigh about 190lbs. Add 235 and 10 of equipment and you will come across the scales at 435. The masters class has a min. weight limit of 395, so you will be racing guys 30-40lbs lighter. Not impossible but tough to be competitive. The shifter requires more practice to drive, but it is a little more weight friendly. You still have the weight issue. Check the classes. The master modifieds and ICC have the heaviest weights at 405, and my shifter kart is about 25lbs heavier than the TAG. The 125 Honda is a 1999 dirt bike engine with six speed trans. From your past experience you should be familiar with this package. I don’t know the rebuild cycles for dirt application, but would expect it to be about the same as karting. Honda seems to be preferred because of the availability of parts and cost. The same competitors for Honda are out there, so there may be engine packages that better suit your past experience. I suggest you come to one of our races and talk to members. We have a major race weekend May 1 and 2. Also visit some of the local kart shops and discuss what is best for you.
Bryan

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Rhett, Hi again,
I looked at this response and realized I said nothing about chassis. There are many chassis out there with differing reputations. They are all tubular steel and chassis flex is an integral part of the suspension. With your weight you need a stiffer chassis. By example you would want a 32mm birel vs a 31. So, don't buy just any chassis you find, as it may not be appropriate for your size. Again, I suggest you come to the track, meet members and ask question. Also visit the kart shops appearing on our website. This is not real complicated, but you will be frustrated if you buy the wrong thing.

Bryan

rhett howell

Post by rhett howell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Guys thanks for all the info, I had forgot about the frame from few years back when was thinking about it. I know about giving up weight :D I loved 125cc in my early mx days but had to move to 250/500 due to size. I really want to do shifters as I love F1 and have followed it since the 70's and in my mind I can think I'm Emerson Fittipaldi in the Copersucar :D I did attend a few races years back and it looked like a blast and everyone was pretty friendly but I didn't want to bother racers when their busy.

Brady Ipock

Post by Brady Ipock » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:37 am

I am fairly new to the shifter karts myself. I'd be happy to talk with you about it if you want. I might be selling my kart fairly soon (2005 Arrow AX-8 Shifter) to buy a brand new CRG or Arrow X-1:) Do you race with EVO Vintage? I have been thinking about racing my CRF 450R with them in the 30+ class? If so, can you tell me what you think of it? If you want to chat shoot me an e-mail at brady dot ipock at comcast dot net (that's encryption to prevent spamming :lol: ) and I'll send you my phone number. Thanks Brady

Jeb Woods

Post by Jeb Woods » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey Rehtt, Old mxer here!! I'm sure we shared a few gates together over the years, starting with Bravo back in 77.
I quit mx in 2004 after one to many injury's, so I got shifter about 8 mo's ago and have been going to Katy getting some laps in with some buddys. I bought an older CR125 Birel and have been having a blast!! I would stick with stock moto due to less maintenance and that you already know all about the CR motor. Also on your chassis, I would consider getting a extended porch due to you height. Looking foward to seeing you at the track and doing some laps together!!

P.S. Since you race EVO, I am sure we have many freinds in common..

Gregg Jacob

Post by Gregg Jacob » Mon May 03, 2010 8:21 am

I have a 2006 Intrepid Suzuka with a SRS road race Honda 125......................... The engine, pump-a-round carb, Vforce reeds, has a low compression head and is built for longivity sould serve you well to have fun at Katy while your learning. It wont cost you a fortune to change it to stock when you become competitive. I'm selling everything with it to go racing: Mycron 3plus, all gears to run Katy up to TWS, all jetting, extra axel, extra set of rims, long and med. hubs,stand, sprint and RR fairing, lg padded Tillet seat that should work for you, extra Champion radiator, plus what else I have. You wont have to buy anything extra.

My son, Morgan Jacob, raced it but has gone into the Air Force and has moved up to GP bikes. Alot of people at Katy still remember him. I will make you a great deal on this setup and will help you get started. Sorta miss karting. I've PM'd you with my Tel# and email.
Gregg