Possible Junior Rule Change

TAG Cadet, TAG Junior, TAG Senior & TAG Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

L. Hargett
Rookie Poster
Possible Junior Rule Change

Post by L. Hargett » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 am

Have you Juniors been watching this develop on E-Karting News?

Stars to utilize 25mm restricted header in Junior National

Per the 2009 Stars Technical Regulations:

Junior National must utilize original IAME P/N A125366
exhaust manifold (25mm nominal size restrictor), no
alterations are permitted except possible temperature sensor
installation.

Brian Seward wrote in to say;
“I participated in some development of a restricted Junior Leopard with Kartkey in California and feel that this is a great move on the part of Stars. Based on our dyno testing, the 25mm restrictor reduces the power output of the Leopard by about 2 HP over the standard 30mm restricted Junior header. This is about 6HP lower than the stock Leopard header. Track testing also proved this combination to be a very driveable package and will be slower on the track than the Senior package.”

I understand that many would not agree with this but this does solve the issue of Juniors being faster than Seniors

We will have to watch TAG-USA to see if this is adopted into the 2009 junior rules. :(

Route 66 changed their age requirment to 13years to resolve this issue.

Larry Hargett / Joshua

L. Hargett
Rookie Poster

Post by L. Hargett » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Here is the latest I think.

"Snap-on Stars Series would like to issue the following statement
regarding the Junior National class and the rule in regards to the exhaust header."

"The decision to make the change to the 25mm header for the Junior National class was made prior to new President Mr. Alan Rudolph joining the Snap-on Stars of Karting program. Since Mr. Rudolph has joined the team, he has been working with series officials as well as contacting and speaking with competitors via e-mail and by phone in regards to this issue."

"Listening to our customers and teams competing in the series, Mr. Rudolph has decided to do what is in the best interest for the sport at this time, keeping the teams and competitors in mind and overturn the 25mm header rule. The 30mm header design along with the standard flex material allotment will be used in the Junior National class moving forward." :D

Now there is only the tire question. :?

Larry / Joshua Hargett

DARIO BASTON SR
The master poster

Post by DARIO BASTON SR » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:49 pm

larry,

the supernats, i assembled the go-karts for PCR race team and had left
on friday. #99 eric lichtenstein tag sr, # 10 federico paolini tag jr.

federico was only 11 YEARS OLD on a special waiver :shock:
i had to mount the pedals in the middle of the belly pan, even though
he has alot of experiance , this more or less is way to fast for a 11 year
old more a less a 12 year old, its not about the speed it's about maturity.

best

L. Hargett
Rookie Poster

Post by L. Hargett » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Dario, I agree completly.
I'm in that deal now with a kart that I think is too much for my driver. He likes the speed but he's not having as much fun as he should. When getting out of his Leopard he gives a sigh of relief.

I only wished that when filling out my motor order form I should have checked HPV, instead of clicking Leopard!!!

The most fun he's had in a long time was running Cadet Jr-1 with the K-80's in Daytona.

How does that song go...."I can see clearly now"....

Larry / Joshua Hargett

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Larry and all,

I agree with the TaG Jr. package being too much for an 11 year old and am happy that they are at least considering changes to the package. Last year we had requests to put Michael in TaG Jr. but thought best to keep him in Cadets until this year because of the maturity factor of an 11 vs 12 year old as well as the what I believe to be most important and that is the ability to prove/show control, consistency and competitiveness in their current package before maturing to the next level. We (Judi and I) have done this and "eased" Michael into TaG Jr. and I think the benefits are already being realized in how he has handled the transition almost seamlessly. I would welcome any additional changes to the package to slow down the TaG Jr.'s as long as its 1) not cost prohibitive 2) is not done just to appease someone's personal biased, as is usually the case and 3) is in line with what is being recognized at the SWRC/SWRA level, with #3) having the most weighting in my book. Meaning I don't want our Club to adopt things that are different than what is being allowed at the next level up or Regional Level. If at the national level they wish to do things differently i.e. Stars and SKUZA and not at the Regional Level I think it makes sense to stay consistent with the Club and Regional direction, if we make a decision to race at the National Level then by default the additional investment and focus is expected.

Again I am all for slowing down the TaG Jr., but for the right reasons. I think the most important thing is, we as parents need to take a real honest view of what is right and wrong for our kids, after all they are the most treasured things in our lives.

Good note and thread.

Regards,
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports