tuning and testing

TAG Cadet, TAG Junior, TAG Senior & TAG Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Scott Boone
The master poster
tuning and testing

Post by Scott Boone » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:14 pm

I plan to go out saturday morning and test. I think I have figured this egt stuff out by looking at all the data. Brian, Brian, Mark, Mark Jim, want to practice?

Mark Reid
The master poster

s

Post by Mark Reid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Sorry, did not see the post until today (assuming one of the Mark's was directed at me).

Mark Reid
Mark Reid

Scott Boone
The master poster

yes....

Post by Scott Boone » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:01 pm

Garvin was there and it was a good test day. Sorry you couldnt make it.

Bryan W. Joplin
The master poster

Post by Bryan W. Joplin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi Scott,
I assume the Bryan you refer to was me. I only saw the posting yesterday. Sorry I didn't make it. I will be there on the 22nd. Hope there is a good turn out.
I have lost my front pod several times now. Are you aware of any rules governing how the pod is attached? Side pods are bolted on. Can I add bolts or straps to improve the strength of the connection?
Bryan

Scott Boone
The master poster

pods

Post by Scott Boone » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 pm

Rule 1....stop trying to attach your pods to the karts racing around you!

Seriously, if you are racing stars, wka, or swrc and the tech is very tight, they may check to see if the pods are "unaltered" since CIK approved or homologated. GCKI would never scrutinize to this extent and I really wouldnt expect anyone else to. Modifications that are not allowed generally relate to airbox mods that make things breath better or in situations where someone believes safety is compromised as a result. For example you cant add lead to side pods because they arent designed to hold weight or you cant connect a steel bumper or spikes etc.

I have seen several people use tie straps to connect the top of the pods to the upper bumper in addition to using the standard bumper support. That way if the bumper is knocked loose at least it stays in place. Garvin does this on his CRG. I have also drilled the front faring and added tie straps to the front bumper to keep it down if the support breaks. This mod makes sense for safety but it is best if you can figure a way to keep it in place without modifications.

Rick Miller
The master poster

Bumper

Post by Rick Miller » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:46 pm

We use tie wraps in addition to the standard front mount as Scott mentioned. Get the wide, 3/8 " tie wraps, the heavy duty type. We have had these type break but still held the bumper in place, no DQs (so far). If that doest work, get wayyyyyy out front and stay on the gas :lol: Rick

Michael Lindsey
Rookie Poster

Post by Michael Lindsey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:35 am

Bryan, if you are planning on racing SWRC events, be aware that there is a rule against drilling holes in the front nose pod. Make sure that your clips that hold that piece on are tight and in good shape. I have never had one come off, and I use my front bumper more than most. Hope to see you up here in Oklahoma this weekend.
Shut up and drive!
2007 SWRC Tag Masters Champion
2007 OMC Tag Masters Champion
mlindsey@maximaonline.com
roughnecksuperworm@yahoo.com