Concept; Build a Tag Masters Light class for 2017!

TAG Cadet, TAG Junior, TAG Senior & TAG Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Ken Snider
Loud Mouth Poster
Re: Concept; Build a Tag Masters Light class for 2017!

Post by Ken Snider » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:22 am

Thanks for the input Jean Michel. I think we're going in a good direction per the conversation. Being classified as TaG Master and being on the high side of 405 I'm all ears (except for all my ballast elsewhere) and all in for growing the class count.

Paul and/or David...Growing the class is the goal. The appeal being we're trying to consider cost savings/competitiveness/effectivity of suggested changes? Can we scratch the thought of an additional heat for raceday? The program runs pretty smooth and the organization seems to make it flow. An additional [hour] would be a deterrent. Just my opinion. I'm learning - you guys really know what you're doing more than I.

As a club member and TaG participant, it was my personal schedule that kept me out of the mix for most all of 2016. That seat time would've been beneficial but I couldn't make events just due to my own conflicts. Tires would've been my biggest expense as long you don't count sandwiches and chips. But I can't say that expense kept me from participating. Without experiencing engine issues, it's the tires I would put at the top of the planning list for 2017. Too bad club members aren't allowed a sweet deal with "SKUSA Tom's Tire Rack". I'll include an LOL just so no one takes offense to that or any of my remarks.

TaG Masters - Ultimate Fun! I'm not in the front and I'm impressed by how fast others are! Le'ts keep talking.
Ken Snider - X30 Master

Wayne Turpin
Rookie Poster

Post by Wayne Turpin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:50 pm

Firstly thanks to Brian for sending me a message and letting me know this discussion was happening :)

I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. I'll apologize in advance for several references to races overseas that I used to participate in.

In terms of tires - I am not sure I could get 2 races out of a set but maybe that's because I am too hard on them - not enough seat time to get back to smooth runs these days.
When I ran in Perth we had combined classes but they were split with the 1st class being held back until they hit the start line and the next class just coming onto the straight - worked pretty good but takes some getting used to and some discipline. I think it helps on the 1st corner and prevents 405 pounds creaming some of those little fellas :)

In terms of the weight I think 405 is ok - I would be ok if it went down 10 pounds because I have been finding myself needing to keep a full tank - although christmas has probably sorted that out.

I agree that the best racing has been in the masters (In Aust it was called heavies - which tended to mostly be over 40's or lights with a bunch of weight if at the top end.

Tyres and engine restrictions were used in a class called 125 restricted in Aust and required a restrictor and MG reds. Personally I didn't like it - I want all the power I can get out of the engine - and we had many a similar discussions about the open (unrestricted class) running reds. This was still ongoing when I left and the main issue was the extra cost for some but others just really liked the grip and were prepared to pay up.

As for the longer days - if there were sufficient numbers to add a class couldn't we just start an hour earlier. Sorry again for the reference but in Perth we ran 8 classes, had 5 heats and the entrants were always 120 +. We were there setting up by 6:30, practice was 1 run each class for 5 minutes and racing was underway by 9:15 or so - they didn't used to be called practice but tuning sessions - seems it has changed now to practice. The days were usually over by 5 PM. Although there was a lot of after race socializing so usually it was 6 or so before getting away. Long day but that was with 5 heats. http://www.tigerkartclub.com.au/2016/tk ... final).pdf

Having said all that I am working rotation overseas 28/28 so can only usually get to about every 2nd race unfortunately and my practice time has gone down proportionate to my maintenance time - with the expected results :)

It would definitely be nice to see some more guys out there and have some separation on the track.

Jim Garvin
The master poster

Post by Jim Garvin » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:40 pm

I know there are folks out there who want to run Tag Masters but haven't posted a response. I hope we can finalize the plan for Tag Masters in our annual meeting this Wednesday night at 7 PM. Let's decide the weight and/or separate class in the meeting (I know this is on the agenda). See ya there!
Jim Garvin
TaG #26T

Wayne Turpin
Rookie Poster

Post by Wayne Turpin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Unfortunately I will still be in Egypt so won't be able to attend but my vote would be to leave the weight as is and provide some separation of teh classes and the start if retaining a mixed class - which I would also vote for :)

Ken Snider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Ken Snider » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:14 am

That was some meeting we had last night. I still consider myself a new club member as I'm learning the names and all players involved. Continuing the open discussion on our "heavy" class I think is good. We settled on the weight minimum last night but since the concern is growth we should still find a solution. That solution is going to involve each of us in promoting the sport as much as advertising the Club. So I'm throwing this out here...reasons why I didn't race a full season in 2016 - 1) job instability - and all things that come along with that. Will 2017 be any different? Don't know yet but will start the season and go from there.

The class entry didn't lose me due to rules or dissatisfaction with the club events. If the age eligible TaG owners are reluctant to enter as TaG Master we should ask why? I'm all for growing the class. Lot's of good comments were made last night. Reference to TaG Master at the Nats being a large number and being a competitive class. Reference to the class has been larger but members that race will chase where the race is, and several jumped in TaG Sr. Another referring to how extremely fast our TaG Sr class has become and the idea that we might need to create some space on the grid between Sr and Master.

Sounds like the Club concepts are working. Don't fix whats not broken comes to mind. Together I think we TaG Master Club members can work to fill the class if we keep the discussion open. Me making the Nats as TaG Master would only be a dream at this point. But I can see us racing and growing to where GCKI has some representatives eventually that may give it a go. I would honestly be as thrilled to mount a tire at the Nats for one of you as much as being in the seat myself. I've got lots to learn on the track and I know I'm going to be a lapper in a 15 lap race when combined with the extremely fast group of TaG Sr's we have. Let's trade thoughts in the pit, on the forum, by any means to gain interest in the Masters class. On the track if I'm in your way, give a bump I can take it, i'll block...i mean i'll move over at the next convenient spot.

Ken
Ken Snider - X30 Master

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:36 am

Ken,
I think the reason there are few racers in Masters in our club is because the ones who might be interested don't see enough participation, hence creating a vicious cycle. The same thing has happened in the S4 shifter class.

I think the decision to keep the weight as per the national rules makes sense, so the next step should be to try to lure back the ones who have stepped away from the class (me included). I heard some saying that they don't want to strap on the extra lead, so therefore stay in senior. I see their point, but if only a couple of the faster ones would make the move up to Masters, more would be attracted to do the same.

Ken Snider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Ken Snider » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:14 am

Always good to hear your thoughts JMG. Maybe a bounty ($$$) on say, catch and pass the slowest Master, that would be me, would entice a TaG owner. No No No that's not the direction we're going! Maybe a loser buys first round deal? Seriously though, if Paul is going to run Master we may be headed in the right direction. He is pretty fast at the Sr weight and I don't expect any less from him at the next weight level. Good to see Benedict at the meeting and he obviously is no slouch and will bring the Master competition level up. If this continues I may be doing my best Darrell Waltrip I'm Retiring Tour impression where I drive around for a few years waving as I go by the grandstands.
Ken Snider - X30 Master

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 am

As always, a very positive and constructive response from Ken! You should be nominated for a board of directors position for next year (yes, I'm serious)! :)

I think that if we truly want to grow the masters class than it needs to be in a manner that gains interest from outside of the existing TaG population; otherwise, it's just robbing from one TaG class to give to another which isn't "growth". Personally, I was happy to see the weight remain as lowering it would've automatically excluded (yes, this is what I call the inability to race on equal grounds) half the population that voted on it last night. If you want all 10 of the people that voted in interest for the class to race than excluding even a few of them doesn't seem like a sound strategy. While it was mentioned sarcastically, if I thought raising the weight would grow a class of 5 to 15 than I'd bolt on the lead and race.

I believe that with the introduction of the World Formula class there is now another stepping stone between the 206 and TaG. Do I think there will be cannibalization between these classes? Do I think the WF class is ripe for progression into TaG Masters? Absolutely and hopefully! I see this as an opportunity to see if there really is a marketable spot for 206 racers that want to step up (but not at the expense of competing in TaG) or for TaG racers that want reduced running costs (but don't want to go down to an "entry level" class).

Brian Benedict

Post by Brian Benedict » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:10 pm

I'll second JMG's suggestion for Ken to go to the board! It's good to hear from drivers who are genuinely interested in what is best for the club / class. I have seen a number of clubs and tracks have near death experiences and scramble to generate interest or close the doors, especially in the rust belt. I went home to Michigan last year and race at a couple tracks and I heard how the clubs nearly folded. I took all of last year to travel and race as much as possible, and below I've listed a few suggestions that we can do to generate TAG interest. I think these would be a good time to be had by the TAG Master members and the club and class would only benefit from them. These are only suggestions and some are more out of the box than others.

1. A kart show, which sounds similar to the karts and coffee suggestion that was made. It sounds like this was a thing of the past for the club, but this could be something that is put on by a class rather than a club, and may be more effective that way. This generates attention.

2. In Michigan, we would have an annual exhibition race on a stock car track before the feature races that would generate interest. I'm talking, throw on the scrub tires, run for fun, no point, maybe a money purse, but more importantly... generate interest. Normally this would be on a "autograph night" or we would set up a few karts on stands behind the grandstands and have flyers handy. A couple drivers in fire suits gain a lot of attention.

3.A parking lot exhibition race was another method that was two fold. This was done in the parking lot of a club sponsor to generate interest in their business, and also gain interest in the club itself. This is something we can do as a class on a Saturday. This generates club revenue and attention.

4.Generate temporary interest from other tracks by creating a short term commitment. This is in the form of a 2 or three race series. I have seen LKA, HCKC, HOT, Odessa, NTK, and other tracks do this throughout the year. The most interesting was a track in West Texas and HCKC. It was a 3 race series, the first at HCKC, the second in West Texas. The third race was to be held at the track that had the most attendance to give them "home field advantage". This is beneficial for the club monetarily, and can generate first timers to our track who already race. This is helps the tracks support each other. Generates club revenue.

5. Does anyone in this club know anyone associated with the Rodeo??? I would think this would be a prime time to get the literature in the hands of people..