Quick Question...

TAG Cadet, TAG Junior, TAG Senior & TAG Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Ryan Scott
Rookie Poster
Quick Question...

Post by Ryan Scott » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:08 am

Would i be able to race this in the TaG Senior class? Please bare with me, i am new to this and still a newbie.
http://www.tsracing.com/store/showdetl. ... 5&CATID=45

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Re: Quick Question...

Post by Patrick Roth » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 am

Ryan,

As of right now, the X30 isn't on the list of approved engines to run in TaG; however, GCKI mimics a lot of what SKUSA does and if the X30 is included in the 2014 list of SKUSA approved engines than I wouldn't be surprised if it carries over to our club. I have not seen the 2014 SKUSA rules so I don't know if it will be included or not (hopefully we'll see the rules before our all members meeting on January 8th)?

Are you going to be at the Winter Blast race on January 6th? If you are new to TaG/karting, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. You are welcome to email me at proth0303@gmail.com in the meantime.

Best Regards,
Patrick

Ryan Scott
Rookie Poster

Post by Ryan Scott » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks for the Quick Answer! I am still looking for a Kart to buy, my neighbor races and has alot of karts so im going to talk to him also. So i wont be racing anytime soon.

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Ryan,

There are a lot of variables in choosing an engine/chassis package; however, I'm of the opinion that you should consider a used chassis for your first purchase rather than going with new. This will save a lot of money up front...

I recommend running one of the brands of chassis that are locally supported. Both CRG and Birel are popular so there are plenty of people to ask for advice. The CRG dealer, RPM Motorsports, is a sponsor of the club and is at every race (and many weekends) to support the club and their customers. They also are an IAME dealer for Leopards (by far the most popular TaG motor at GCKI).

Good luck and hope to see you out there soon!

Patrick

Ryan Scott
Rookie Poster

Post by Ryan Scott » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks! Im planning on going up to RPM Motorsports to check them out! Thanks for all the info!

Brian LaBarbera
The master poster

Post by Brian LaBarbera » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 pm

I believe the x-30 is allowed now in SKUSA, so for us as well. I'd go with that if you can. They claim its more reliable, although the leopard is pretty good too. You do have to add more weight with the x-30 than the leopard too.

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:21 am

I couldn't find where SKUSA is allowing the X30 yet?

GCKI will be allowing the X30 and per the annual members meeting it will be at the same weight as the Leopard and the Rotax. Once SKUSA makes a call on the X30 motor, GCKI will review if any adjustments need to be made.

From what I've heard it sounds like the X30 will be replacing the Leopard and stands to be a more reliable package (granted the Leopard was pretty good other than starters).

Patrick

Brian LaBarbera
The master poster

Post by Brian LaBarbera » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 pm

I swear I had seen it somewhere in the SKUSA rules but now I can't find it.

But I do know that TAG USA states that the x-30 should have an additional 10 lbs. So if the club isn't going to enforce that then thats the engine to run apparently.

Paul Jones
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Paul Jones » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm

See my post in the general forum. We set the X-30 weight based on performance at our track. the Rotax and Leopard run the same weight at our track because it is tight (7,000-17,000 RPM in Leopard trim) and it has worked out. We will adjust the X-30 weight to the SKUSA equivalent (+10 lbs for Sr, +15 lb for Masters at GCKI) when it is approved by SKUSA. We will also monitor it's performance and adjust accordingly until then.