Lets Race TAG

TAG Cadet, TAG Junior, TAG Senior & TAG Masters

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Patrick Roth
The master poster
Re: Lets Race TAG

Post by Patrick Roth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:52 am

I just wanted to thank everyone for encouraging me to race last Sunday and who helped me out at the track! I had an absolute blast and everyone's assistance made for a great experience and I look forward to the next race. Even though everyone in the TaG Masters class (BTW-what a great group of people) helped me at some point, I especially want to thank Jean Michel for all of the little pointers and entertaining my continuous line of questioning!

For people that read this and haven't raced yet just get out there and do it! I finished last but had a huge smile on my face the whole time and can't wait to do it again. The speed will come in time but the fun is already there!

BTW-Even the tech inspector (Rick) made sure I felt comfortable and safe and when my kart needed a little tweak to pass inspection he had A.B. from 3G there within a minute to make sure I got what I needed (he easily could've just told me what I needed and left me on my own to figure it out).

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:53 am

Patrick,

Thanks for the kind words. You are very welcome. Glad I could help a little.
See you in a couple of weeks.

JM

Miguel Garcia
The master poster

Post by Miguel Garcia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:18 pm

I am very glad to see this topic develop.

I think some TAG days with both mechanical and driving topics would definitively add to this class.

A general concern I see is the budget required. It is definitively true that TAG is more expensive than chonda, for example, but knowledge can lead to savings... Lets be open and share as much as possible about maintenance and how-to do things.

Now that next season is coming soon, and people start talking more about changing tires, I think that It would be possible to save some bucks in there. I have heard the idea of the cheapest and hardest (more durable) tire to be the spec tire next year.

I'd also like to throw a little idea here: We could set a limit of sets of tires to use during each season. For example, if a season has 7 races on it. A driver could only go through 3-4 sets of tires to use at his own discretion. Of course this may be consider a disadvantage for people that requires lots of laps to build up seat time. But this rule would only apply to the races. Also, I think that among most of us, we could build a very nice stock of used/practice tires!

Our grid was pretty good this last race and the TAG class has some new good fellows in Jean-Michell, Patrick, Graig and Kyle. You guys feel welcome and free to ask the questions we have all asked at least once (or several times in my case :lol: )

I think that if we all keep working with good ideas, spreading the word and helping and encouraging the new guys the class we'll see good results in the short-coming future!

Miguel

Ken Snider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Ken Snider » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 am

Resurrection of an old post - good topic. Not a lot of traffic on the forum so if you've read anything recent, you'll know me as a Novice just getting into karting. I've been to the track twice since joining. Had some good practice and a ton of fun. Had a mechanical failure the first outing - wheel broke free from studs on hub. I spun of course directly into the grass and called it a day. No one else was on the track when it happened. The second day at the track had a much larger crowd. I really liked how the smallest amount of communication was required to blend in and just go make laps. Great group of people. Only failure not counting brake issues, was my stamina and ability to endure the heat.
So, if this topic is still valid with other new members, Lets Race TaG. A TaG Masters meet and greet would be cool. I wouldn't want anything special as to disrupt others practicing. But would be nice to make some laps together, talk about it, make some more laps together.
Not that you asked but my specifics are;
54 yrs old, 223 lbs at my lightest in a long long time, diabetic and my racing budget requires help from a friend.
Used 2008 Intrepid Silverstone, no idea how much time is on the Leopard before we got it.

I would really like to race the remaining Fall GCKI schedule, but know I am not up to good enough shape to last a full day (practice, qualifying, Main). Don't want to wear the X on my new helmet into next year.

Not sure I took my conversation to the exact direction I'd planned but if any other new TaG Masters are feeling the itch, let's see if we can meet at the Club and get after it.

What lap times do TaG Masters turn?
Ken Snider - X30 Master

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:44 am

Ken,

While I don't run TaG Masters anymore I can hopefully add a little to your comments/questions. Typical lap times for an experienced TaG Master is going to be in the 41-42 second range. Don't get turned off if you aren't in this range yet as you'd be surprised at how quickly your lap times start coming down once you get the adrenalin from actual racing and have the opportunity to follow others at race speed. This also usually requires relatively fresh tires (most people run new or 1 race old tires on race day).

Whenever you decide to go for your first race day I highly recommend focusing on hydration as you probably know, if you aren't hydrated properly you could be in for a miserable day. Even after a few years of karting I still am very deliberate about hydration (I drink a lot of water the day before).

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you at the upcoming races! For what it's worth, I try to make it to the track every weekend (in the mornings during these extremely warm months) and while I don't run a TaG anymore I certainly am happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Patrick

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:03 am

Reviving an old thread again… I had nice memories reading through these posts…

moving forward.

I'm coming back to TaG this fall, there seems to be a healthy number of competitors in these classes. I'm looking forward to racing with y'all. I'll take my old spot, at the back of the pack.