Hello Yamahas, is anyone out there?

Forum for all other classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Luke Hesketh
Hello Yamahas, is anyone out there?

Post by Luke Hesketh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 pm

I am coming back to Katy. I will road race a little too, but I miss the katy track. It feels like racing in my backyard. Like a big ole' family of fuel grease and rpm junkies. Which I literally live in anyway.

I saw one new guy this past season, and I saw Scott running again, good to see. I am interested in creating a sort of championship series separate from and yet within each individual series. Similar to the Porsche Carrera cup. Or just a local based series.

Both are just ideas... brainstorms, yet to be formed into actual storms with gale force winds or anything (bad analogy).

First idea.

Any Yamaha across Texas registers with the series, and must compete in a minimum number of events to qualify for points and year end awards and purses. I have talked to a couple of interested parties about sponsoring. Not intended to be a tremendous amount, but I believe it could at least cover the costs of a season of competition for winning. Maybe the State champ wins 3,000 to 5,000 and it flows down. Trophy will be built too, big one! Shiny one! I get good feelings about it. There would be a couple classes as well, like lite heavy, stock and unlimited or something. I talked to a guy in Katy who owns a Yamaha shop and could develop an inventory if interest is generated. Maybe the stock class supplier?

Second idea.

Keep it local, run to any individual Katy, or IKF, or WKA rules or a mixture of the three. The key is to make it clear cut yet affordable. It would stay in the Houston area. Racers must again finish a certain number of races, best and worst race dropped and the remainder is scored. Once again, trophies to winners, awards and purses. Maybe the same classes as above and a minimum age is set as well. Perhaps the final round will be a shootout among the top five spots, champion crowned right there! Once again, just an idea.

I can't wait to be back at Katy. I'll have my stuff ready. Will anyone else? Scott, I raced you once, and surprised myself with how much I learned and how well I performed just racing with you.

Will anyone else be there?

Luke G. Hesketh

Oscar Aguilera
The master poster

Post by Oscar Aguilera » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:51 pm

sorry no response but there arent a lot of yamahas that race. they are out there and i hope they show up more regularly.

You will be very welcomed to race at katy. maybe you can make the race this month on the 28th.

oscar
832-250-3806

Scott Boone
The master poster

yamaha

Post by Scott Boone » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:21 pm

I have a garage full of karts. Two 80 shifters, two ICCs a kt100 and a tag senior. We have raced them all. From the person paying the bills, I still rate the kt100 as the best and most affordable. Racers wil always be able to find a faster motor but the costs increase faster than the fun. More hp translates into more tires (biggest expense of all) and more expensive motors and rebuilds. When I raced yamaha lite at gcki, the 8 kart field was tight all race, and our costs were very low. I raced a year and half on a stock motor with zero motor work. Not even a piston or ring. You are lucky if motor work on a leopard or icc is less than $1000. You can buy a new kt100 for $650. The other advantage is the tech is simple. The cheaters are easy to detect. I also want to point something else out. The tag senior class is very physical. I broke my ribs mid year 2008 in the tag and I have struggled to stay fit enough to race an entire race. The KT100 is less physical and may be more attractive to the less physically fit. I am racing tag now but I still believe the kt is a great motor for jr sportmen, super can and yamaha lite. I spoke with Colin Walker not too long ago and he said he plans to buy a big batch of kts and try to rebuilkd the class. If we have a decent field, I will bring mine back to the track. Nationally, there are more kt100s running than any other motor. It is a shame that their popularity is down at GCKI.

Luke Hesketh

Post by Luke Hesketh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15 am

My very first race, there were about 8 yamahas, Craig McLain, myself, Joe Dilger, Scott Weir, and a few other guys I did not remember, I believe Phil Miller, Ian and Oscar. I was able to finish 2nd and was ragged afterward. But it was awesome. After that, it was lucky to see more than 2 guys. On a few occasions, I was often either guaranteed 1st or 2nd. Kind of bummed me out, but the seat time was satisfying. In the "alone" time it helped me just learn the kart and it helped me run well in Road Racing. I have a new kart and there are only 5 dates on ikf regional calendar. I have yet to check sprint regions, but don't really want to either. I have a place for Katy. I hope others find it that way too. It is fun, quick, close quarters, and though I am yet to try my legs out on the new long straight, you can really play with gearing. I'm hoping to get my fullerton ready by the 28th, with just a few thing to address. I cannot wait to get out there. Even if I marshall a corner or something.

K.J. Kreiter
Loud Mouth Poster

I've wanted to race a KT100 for years

Post by K.J. Kreiter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 am

Hello All,
I am new to the forum but have really enjoyed reading through the threads. After moving to the Katy area several years ago, I count the GKCI track one of Katy's most interesting and certainly most exciting attractions. It's too bad more people don't know about it. The times I have visited the track, I have found the racers and their families very friendly and the racing always fun to watch. I have wanted to purchase a used kart and jump into the sport for a long time, but for one reason or another never seem to be able to make it happen. I read about GCKI's interest in growing the sport and attracting new owners and drivers in the area. I would like to be a part of something like that. Especially if it involves the Yamaha classes. I agree that partnering with Track 21 is also a great idea.

One thought came to my mind and I would like to share it here. I was wondering if GCKI has ever considered some type of mentoring program? The program could be sponsored by veteran racers and could allow newcomers to enter into the sport in a friendly, comfortable, and welcoming atmosphere. The program could focus on track etiquette, safety, track setup, tuning, safe driving techniques, etc.. Membership in the club could be a requirement for insurance purposes. It would also help ensure that the participants remain committed to the program.

Thank you for allowing me to join the forum and share my thoughts. And thanks for keeping Katy a great place for karting enthusiasts!

Luke Hesketh

Post by Luke Hesketh » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:04 pm

I considered beginning a sort of school for newcomers. I did not know where to hold it. I would love more people coming into Yamaha classes. It is probably the best bang for the buck in Katy. Kid karts or micros I guess they're now called, are great but YOU don't race them, and I hear nothing but complaints about motor costs and gearbox issues for tags and shifters respectively. You can spend less than 2000 and run at Katy in a competitive STOCK package. I bought my first kart for 1800, my second for 1250 and one came with a stock motor, I got a bunch of extras too. I won my first race. Granted, pass it off as beginner's luck, but I knew a little about set up and the track beforehand. I still believe it is a great class to not just learn, but expand your knowledge in. I'd be happy to help out, and where my education falls short, surely someone else will be able to take the baton. I'll be out every raceday in 2009, as well as shakedowns in January, so come on out and get a look.

Rick Miller
The master poster

Yamaha

Post by Rick Miller » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 am

Its great to hear folks still remember what a yamaha is all about!! Its a great package that wont break the family budget and is competative throughout the ranks: Junior one, junior super can, yamaha lite and heavy.
At the WKA races there are 35 to 50 entries across the grid. It exciting, competative and all around FUN.
Its too bad that all of the classes are so divided, in the cadets 8/11 yrs. there is yamaha, hpv1, gazelle, comer 60, K80, rotax mini max ......in the Juniors 12/15 yrs, there are a few yamahas, hpv2, tag leopards, rotax and a few others.
There is a tremendous amount of talet out there racing but with all of these drivers on different motor packages we never get to see them race each other on an equal level, if there was a way to get everyone on the same page we could see 8/12 or more at every club race in each class, that would be awesome!!! hhhmmmmmm ??? I wonder if yamaha could bring this to Katy???? Rick

Luke Hesketh

Re: Hello Yamahas, is anyone out there?

Post by Luke Hesketh » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:25 pm

In Karting, the Yamaha KT class seems to be on the same level as Spec Miata is in SCCA as far as competition closeness, cost effectiveness, and overall fun.

If you get a chance to watch SM in SCCA, take it! These cars are fun to watch. John Philips, Ara Malkhassian, and the rest of the 40 car field are always close. From front to back, they dice and duck all over the place for 15 to 20 laps. And the fact that guys can obviously only have certain items to 'play with", means that the equipment is basically the same. The point: A guy that spends 12,000 per race can get defeated by a guy that can drive, and spend only 1,500. (quotes from Philips Race prep)

In karting I have learned that no matter what your package is, the guy behind you can still outlast or out race you. Thats the awesome part! You never know if the guy in the $10,000 almost semi-trailer, the guy in the $1,000 open trailer or the guy in the pickup will win! I have come out one weekend, and I would just fly but not win, and then another weekend after, I would run bad (or so it felt) and still outlast the class. I have been out, and taken to the woodshed by Boone or McLain. But another weekend, I finish much closer. Another point, the class usually finishes within short range of each other, barring dnf's or spins. I want to create a sort of arrive and drive Yamaha program for interest folks without the budget. Or have some karts race ready for sale at low costs. Anyone with spare time can come out and show that person the way to set it up, drive it, and other fun tips. I can lead this, but my mind falls well short of Mr. Rick Miller, Scott Boone, and Mike Books. But I know I can help.

Twitch