Yamaha Jr Sportsman - Cadet

Forum for all other classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

David Young
The master poster
Yamaha Jr Sportsman - Cadet

Post by David Young » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:01 am

Thought I'd post something here since this category was empty.

Newbie "Andretta" will be starting this weekend (Nov 4th) in the Junior Sportsman class, using the canned Yamaha w/55B carb. Maybe she'll add to the resurgence of the Yamaha over time. Easy to tune & maintain, especially at this restricted power level.

Just not crazy about the 250 lb weight, as we'll be adding close to 50 lbs to make it. I noticed NTKarters have a solid turnout in their Junior 1 2-cycle class which runs Comet K-80s and the canned Yamahas both @ 235 lbs. Heart of Texas (Waco) also runs the canned Yamahas @ 235. Thoughts on 235 lbs. for GCKI in 2008?

For us, doesn't matter too much for now as she'll just be getting seat time from now until season's end, having a Blast! ...while watching the experienced drivers in the Cadet class zoom by...

See ya Sunday.

JeffLowery

Thinking Cadet Chassis with Yamaha KT-100 too . . .

Post by JeffLowery » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:22 pm

David -

I'm thinking of running the Yamaha KT-100 with a Walbro WA55B Carb and Can Exhaust for my 9-year old Son in the Cadet class. It's hard to go wrong with this Motor from a reliability/affordability standpoint - especially considering the Euro vs USD and the cost of anything coming from Europe these days.

Is your Daughter running right now? Do they run in a separate Yamaha Junior Class at Katy or with the other Cadets running Comer K80's, Parilla Leopards, etc...? Any help, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated for a "New To Karting" Dad!!! Thank you!

PS - Why aren't there more people running the proven KT-100? I know it's been around forever, but is it really not "competitive" here anymore?

Colin Walker
Rookie Poster

Re: Yamaha Jr Sportsman - Cadet

Post by Colin Walker » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Yamaha KT100
Yes it is a puzzle why the KT100 disappeared from Katy. In other parts of the country they are still going strong.
For many years I raced KT100's in every available class at Katy - and dozens of trophies stacked in the workshop go to show it. Maybe they just went out of fashion? To sit in your kart and press a button to start is appealing to a lot of present day drivers. Australia has a self start KT100 [Think its made in Tiawan] Tried to get my hands on a few but the imported price from Aus. was.comparable to the Italian brands [$1,000]. You can still buy a new KT100 for less than $500 in the USA and with a Horstman HDC5B clutch you can race all year with just the change of a spark plug. A new $30 piston and a $20 cylinder hone and you're ready for the next season. You can't beat that.
Our little team has road raced Yamaha KT100's with SWRA for a number of seasons. Now that's racing. On a real race track at 80 + miles an hour thats EXCITING !March we are at Cresson. Thats a nice track. Texas World Speedway, Hallett and Oak Hill are regular venues with maybe one or two new ones this year. Bring your KT100 and join us. The SWRA crowd are really friendly and the Saturday night free barbacue is a great time to sit round and shoot the breeze. You can race Saturday and Sunday so it makes a great weekend.
Look at SWRA web site for road race info. or give me a call 832 717 7444
Colin