Upgrading an old shifter to a Chonda with questions

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

John Norgaard
Upgrading an old shifter to a Chonda with questions

Post by John Norgaard » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi everyone I'm John and I'm new to karting. I live in College Station and have seen shifter karts at our Texas World Speedway many years ago. For some reason they don't race there anymore. Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a 2008 Italkart Supersonic with a K9b engine. The kart had been neglected, but now I have it cleaned up and the chrome polished. When I bought the kart I did not realize how much the K9b would cost for rebuilds. Now I'm thinking about setting it aside and placing a Chonda on the frame. I have been reading the 2013 GCK class specifications and I don't understand some of the wording. An example, "Venturi .615" NO-GO", what does the NO-GO mean? The engine I'm looking at purchasing is from ARC Racing.

http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/the-20 ... 6.5/Detail

Other parts that I need to purchase are; rear sprocket 50mm, chain, clutch, exhaust and a steel fly wheel. Did I forget anything? I'm looking at the chains and I don't know if I need a #219 or a #35. What size sprockets do I need for the clutch and the rear?

I've also read something about no new tires unless they have been scrubbed. What does that mean?

Is there a Chonda class for the gx390?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: Upgrading an old shifter to a Chonda with questions

Post by Brad Johnson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 pm

GO and NO-GO refer to gauges used to check a set dimension. I think our rules spec out the CL-1 cam so you might check on that with regard to the engine you are looking at. You will need 35 chain, and probably a 16 tooth clutch will work with various rears from maybe 56 to 60. Scrubbed tires just means that they have been on track prior to a qualifying session. Once you've run a practice session they are now scrubbed. Hopefully some of the more knowledgable Chonda drivers will check in here and give you more spot on advice, but this is a basic start.

Charles Borsos

Post by Charles Borsos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:00 am

John,

I believe Brad made an error in the number of clutch teeth. Most of us run 15 teeth, in fact, it used to be in the rules. When using the 15 tooth clutch, it seems most of us are running rear sprockets size ranging from 54 to 57. Of course you could run a 16 with a correspondingly higher number of teeth (like Brad indicated) on the rear to get similar ratios. Look in the Chonda forum for "Chonda Gearing" for some interesting discussion on the topic.

I am not aware of a GX390 class anywhere near here but the Naskarts (see http://www.naskartproracingseries.com/Home_Page.php) run a GX270 Honda motor. They have occasionally been at GCKI.

Regards, Charles

John Norgaard

Post by John Norgaard » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to order my motor tomorrow and I think I'm going to get both the cl1 and cl2 cams. Is there an open Chonda class where any mods are allowed? I love to tinker with stuff and would like to build a motor just to see how fast I could get it.

John

Charles Borsos

Post by Charles Borsos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:27 pm

No class for open Chonda motors at GCKI but, if you are a member, I believe you would have no problem building and playing with one on open practice days. Sounds like fun to me if I had the time!

John Norgaard

Post by John Norgaard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am

Box stock engine kit from ARC, mongrel clutch, exhaust, and sprocket carrier with 55 tooth sprocket are in the mail. Hopefully I will have it put together this weekend. Today I'm going take the front brakes off and rebuild the rear brakes.

I still need to buy safety gear, any recommendations?

This is getting expensive fast, but that's why I have two jobs. This K9b I took off my Italkart, would it be in my best interest to try and sell it now before it gets too outdated? I don't think I'll be able to afford the maintenance that goes with it. It has an IM Tuning sticker on the front of it and I confirmed with Italian Motors that they did blue print the motor. It also has had a lot of machine work done to the intake. If anyone is interested, I don't know what it is worth or what it would cost to ship.

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 pm

you can buy gear(suit, gloves, rib protector and neck collar) locally at 3G kart Racing in Katy. You can use a full face motorcyle helmet as long as it meets the SNELL requirement for the club (I can't remember off the top of my head, but any new helmet should meet the standard). I beleive the K1 facility on 290 anfd the beltway may also sell gear.

You can also buy all your stuff online. I usually like http://www.accelerationkarting.com/ or http://www.fastech-racing.com/

welcome to the club!

John Norgaard

Post by John Norgaard » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 am

Lost interest sold it and bought a polaris rzr.