Yellow = Blue = No Difference

Forum for LO206 & Chonda classes

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

John Bartos
The master poster
Yellow = Blue = No Difference

Post by John Bartos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:11 pm

After hearing some concern (and quite frankly not knowing the answers myself) I decided to do a truly unscientific experiment to determine if there really is any difference between blue and yellow CHONDA engines.

I had already upgraded Ashley' s CHONDA cadet (Blue Harbor Freight) with all of the newly legal parts - BSP-1 cam, "bored" carburetor, WA springs, and 5-axis milled filter adapter. The engine ran great.

We used the baseline of Sunday (GCKI Race 2 at the SWRC). We had switched to the MOJO tires and will continue to use them for the rest of the year.

We then switched to a yellow engine. I purchased the DJ-1016 Race Ready Dupor Box Stock 196cc OHV Engine - fully built from ARC Racing. (since I'm putting together all of these CHONDA Cadets for the club - I go through an engine every couple weeks.) We jetted it the same as the blue, ran the same tires / tire pressures / gearing, everything the same, except we ran Fall Race 3 in CCW.

Here are the results:

August 12th - Qualifying - 48.445 lap time (Blue Engine)
August 12th - Feature - 49.255 lap time (Blue Engine)
Max RPM - 5880

September 11th - Qualifying - 48.498 lap time (Yellow Engine)
September 11th -Pre-Final - 49.085 lap time (Yellow Engine)
Max RPM - 5870

It simply does not get any more consistent than that - .053 (53 thousandths of a second) difference in qualifying times nearly a month apart, and 10 RPMs difference.

So the moral to this story is - If you've got a blue engine - stick with it! If you haven't joined the fun of CHONDA yet, go out and get a yellow engine. There is NO DIFFERENCE between the two.