March 16th Race

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster
March 16th Race

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:51 pm

I just wanted to post my support for what I believe to be one of the most important classes to have at any Karting Club, Track, Series, etc. and that is the Kid Karts.

During Sunday's driver's meeting, I was working on my son's karts getting them ready for qualifying and I was astounded from what was coming over the loud speaker.

The Club should embrace this class as this is the lifeblood of GCKI. Sure it may not be the biggest but it surely is an introductory series to karting.

Does everyone start out in Kid Karts? No. But those who do decide on investing in the Kid Karts usually are "green" to karting and instead of bashing the class in front of participants, drivers and visitors maybe just maybe we should embrace and assist this class more than any other. My rationale is a rewarding and enjoyable experience in Kid Karting usually leads to years and years of Family enjoyment in Karting and isn't that what we are all here for?

I for one can specifically speak to how much hard work goes into figuring out the karts, working with the drivers (the most rewarding thing in my mind) and learning the art & science of racing and to have that all torn apart by personal views and comments is totally unnecessary.

Now, everyone has a bad day and so my hope is what happened on Sunday was just that a bad day. I think that GCKI, it's Board, it's race officials and most of all it's member community will chime in and communicate their support for the Kids by replying positively to this thread.

I will end with this. I understand the concern around fair play (as I hate the "cheating" statement). Tech should address this concern. Those who tech should know what they are looking for and not "tech" without knowledge, if this happened on Sunday great, if it did not then please in the future do not tech, this goes for all classes. Come on people let's support these guys!
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports

John Bartos
The master poster

Post by John Bartos » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Eddie - Thanks for making such an eloquent statement for what many of us surely felt. The Kid Kart class is a vital part of GCKI. It is the only reason we became interested and got involved. That simple curiosity turned into a whole family involvement.

I also am hopeful that with a little reflection that the comments of Sunday will soon be recognized for what they were and corrected.

With that said - I am thankful to Scott, and Brian for taking the time on a busy day to do such a thorough and professional job of tech inspection. It is a part of racing at every level - and a good program of inspection (in my humble opinion) should be welcomed by all competitors. For us it was a first experience. We (and many others) actually learned a lot on Sunday from those who were more experienced.

What's more - it taught a great lesson. I had to explain to Ashley what we were doing, and what it meant when we passed. That explanation was not lost on her as she later proudly explained it to her grandparents on the ride home - a life lesson you probably could not teach anywhere else.

Congratulations to all of our kid racers for Sunday's performance. Brandon's drive from the back in heat 3 was awe inspiring. Courtney, Max and Chucky's epic battle in the first heat was legendary. And all of our mini warriors are showing marked improvements with each week of experience.

6 to 10 years from now - they may all be the club's representatives at the Nationals in shifter karts - and maybe (if they're lucky) they may even break the records that our current cadet drivers had set just a few years before.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 pm

I'm neither a kid kart dad or ever had a tie to kid karts, my daughter has no interest. She's too old now to start in a kid kart. I think the kid karts are a good place for the kids to start. I didn't like hearing the class being "wished" away but what's that they say about opinions. I usually have a problem with letting mine out at the least oppurtune time.

I have wondered why the class is still considered exhibition. This is a class that has it's own national event. Why not make it a real class with set rules and tech procedures? I guess it has some rule structure but being exhibition it isn't always followed through with in a tech capacity. That's just what I've seen, but on a local level most classes don't have a post race tech.

Back to the point, I agree with and support the kid karts, drivers, and families who support the class.
Last edited by Brad Johnson on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Boone
The master poster

kid karting

Post by Scott Boone » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:02 pm

I too am 100% supportive of our youngest racers. GCKI as a club has always been 100% supportive of the class and have spent a lot of time and effort to build the class and to make it safe and fun for the racers and their families.

RE tech: Tech is simply enforcement of the rules we all race by and it validates good driving and hard work. Good tech is a service to the racers as a whole.

Rick Miller
The master poster

Post by Rick Miller » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:48 am

Kid karts are very welcome at GCKI. Owners and drivers are a very big part of each and every race at Katy. Oscar, Sorry pal, you stepped on a few toes and upset many. We all have our own opinions on what classes are the best for our drivers. Unfortunately, those opinions will never make everyone happy and should be kept to ones self when you are in a position of authority.

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:05 am

Good to see the responses and support for the class but am quite surprised only 1 Kid Karter has replied, hmmm maybe their l’il guys are IM'ing on the computer and not letting Mom or Pop get on :>)

I chalk up Sunday to possibly a bad day, we all have them and for sure those who are working on race days have to put up with more than their fair share of aggravations and maybe leniency should be given to some extent. Overall though since being a GCKI member I can not remember when the races have run so smoothly and with such structure and for that I must thank all that put on the show.

Regards,
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports

Brian Traw
The master poster

Post by Brian Traw » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Don't worry Eddie I just wanted everyone else's opinion before I piped in. Before this morning I was ready to oust out our race director after the comments made in front of the families of GCKI. BUT and it's a LARGE but, Oscar himself called me this morning telling me how bad he felt about the comments made. I accepted his apology and felt it was the right thing, most people these days don't remove their foot after it's placed in their mouth.......Thanks again Oscar.

CONGRATS TO ASHLEY for the 1st Place win, and the rest of the drivers for such a fun race.

Now for the points WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM??????????WHERE DID THEY GO? Brad for your info GCKI is now one of the only first class tracks that does not award points now! I think it needs to be recosidered for the next series in the summer and fall. Plus by then it will be a level playing field because everyone has had enough seat time. Just my opinion.......

For the club racing in a whole, I will agree bigger crowds cause bigger headaches. The way we need to address this as a club is to discuss among everybody and set a set schedule, classes, and laps, THAT WILL NOT CHANGE RACE TO RACE. This will help the members, the guest, and the race director.

Brian