How learn more about Karting?

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Kyle Humphries
How learn more about Karting?

Post by Kyle Humphries » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi,

My (almost) 7-rd old son and I are interested in Kart Racing, but haven't done anything beyond K1 speed just for fun (nothing competitive). We're interested in coming out to the track at a good time when we can meet some parents/kids and see how this sport and this club works. We're not quite ready to buy a Kart and go all in, we need to learn a little more first. Is there a good day/time to visit the track and get some good info?

Thanks,
Kyle

Tom Richardson

Re: How learn more about Karting?

Post by Tom Richardson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Kyle,

I'm new myself but the best way to learn is to visit the track on a race day (that's what I did). The next one's on September 24th if I'm not mistaken. They're listed on the right side of the page at racekarts.com. There are a bunch of kids in your son's age range that race and their parents are more than happy to share what they know. Attending the race is $5 a person I think but it's worth it for the info you'll get.

Matt Blehm
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Matt Blehm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am

Hi Kyle,
Unfortunately my 6yr old daughter is the only Kid Kart (5-7yrs old) that regularly shows up right now. last weekend she wasn't feeling well and we will be on vacation for the next race, but will be back in October. I didn't see any kid kart entries last week on the results, so she would have been driving around by herself anyway. I would love to see another kid out there! There are a couple others that occasionally show, but have been busy with other sports and family stuff as well. Many of the other kids have football, baseball, soccer, swimming, etc going on as well. busy kids!

However, with your son being 7, he is also eligible to run in the Cadet classes which are allowed for ages 7-12. there's a pretty strong group there, but they're also pretty quick. your new 7yr old will be on track with some pretty fast kids, so don't expect to win your first few months (season!) out there unless he's one of those that are just born with it. that would allow you to start in a single kart and be in it for some time, lessening your investment in the first couple years.

Either way, please come out and show up to a race. talk to kids and parents and say hi. My daughter just started in February this year and I have been extremely pleased with how welcoming and helpful everyone has been. Need a part to get through the race? ask around! don't have all your safety gear just yet? borrow something- many people have a spare vest or helmet or gloves and were happy to let us borrow and try on varying neck braces until we found one we liked and ordered our own.

Kyle Humphries

Post by Kyle Humphries » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks all for the quick advice - sounds like a trip to the track on race day will be a great start! We'll head out there on the 24th and check it out. Any advice on best time to show up? The schedule says practice 9:30-10:30, driver meeting at 11, and I assume racing goes on for a while after that, but it doesn't state race times.

Thanks,
Kyle