Getting started

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Jacob Mitchell
Getting started

Post by Jacob Mitchell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Well when my daughter was young I tried to get my wife to let me get her involved with karting or Jr dragster since that is where my background is and she was not having it. Now that my son will be 4 this year I am looking to get him started. I have seen multiple different brand karts with a wide variety of pricing and wanted to get some advice. Looks to me that a kid kart is good for several years so I am less concerned about spending the money on a quality chassis from the start however in the event he doesnt take to it as I suspect I really want to be out 4-6k vs 2-3k. That being said where should I look for a decent starter kart for a 4 year old? I am guessing I should grab something myself so I can guide him around on the track for a while until he gets the hang of it? He has powerwheel, a fourwheeler and has no issues, granted this is a bit different however the principle is the same more-less and I dont feel he will have much of a problem.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Jacob Mitchell

david mckee
The master poster

Re: Getting started

Post by david mckee » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:23 pm

He has to be 5 years old to enter into a race I believe, you can check the rules on the age requirements, he can practice.

As far as used vs new nothing wrong with a good solid used kid kart, the Margay seam to be a real nice set up and you might be able to find a good used one searching on the club forum or talking to the kid karters they know who is moving up and have equipment to sell, or check with the Rhodes @ RMP, or Joe Bauhs @ JBM both two real good local kart shops, if you need their contact number PM me and i will get it to you. There should be several Birels around too. Things to check on the chassis is the full width rear bumper, the brake condition, it should be easy to tell if the kart was well maintained by just checking it out well, does the axle spin good, you can check out the motor best you can but that will take you getting with one of the guys at the club the motors can be modified and not be legal for racing so you want to have to motor checked out to make sure its a good solid motor and legal but if you get into this you will end up with more then one motor for sure! I can help put you in touch with some of the kid kart dads or recently moved up kid kart dads if you need help. Best thing to do would be come to the track and go up to any of the kid kart dads or Cadet class dads (one class up for kid karts)and start talking and asking questions you will find that they are a lot of help and love to take about karting!
David McKee

Jacob Mitchell

Post by Jacob Mitchell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply David! I am really looking forward to it and I know my son is as well. We came up there mid last year just to check it out and I was amazed to see all the kids out, maybe it was a day for them and I was unaware. None the less it is a far cry from what I am use to and what my kids are use to as well, we have all be in racing our entire lives just mainly in drag racing. I can see how this can quickly get out of hand just like my other cars. LOL

david mckee
The master poster

Post by david mckee » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Cool car we have several drag racers at the track and the tech guy Frank is an ex ford drag racer too. Always a lot of kids at the tract some a lot older than the others (like 50) There was a good size class of Kid Karters last few years but most are moving up this year time for a new crop so would be a good time to get in and all grow and learn together. Look me up if you get out to the track my son is kart 224 in rotax jr.
David McKee

Jacob Mitchell

Post by Jacob Mitchell » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:24 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252254161168?_t ... .S1.R2.TR2

I found this and although it seems the right size based on other things I have seen the price is a little high for what it is? Seems many other brands are of better quality to me or am I reading to much into it?

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Jacob, please check your PM. I sent you some information that might be useful to you.

david mckee
The master poster

Post by david mckee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:53 pm

I don't know much about the coyote chassis but i believe they are/where popular a few years back and I also believe they were re-branded and sold by a popular kid kart engine builder, so i think it would be a good chassis, my issue would be seat looks big for a 4 year old or a beginning kid karter, second buying a kart unseen can cause heartburn, ,shipping cost you might be surprised what it cost to ship, and local source for spare parts. I would check around the GCKI club talk to the kid karters or one that just moved up they can point to good used equipment or try Hill Country Karters, waco track or North Texas Karter or Dallas Karting Complex that way you can go look at the kart before you purchase it.

I can help you get in touch with the Kid Karting parents to get you going or just come out to the next race or the saturday before, i will introduce you to the right guys!
David McKee

Jacob Mitchell

Post by Jacob Mitchell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:21 pm

I found a local kid kart from a fellow drag racer and having a friend who is familiar with small engines go look at it tomorrow since I am out of town. Comes with the stand, extra tires, a good neck brace and a few other things.... it looks very nice.

Next question is where to find a suit small enough to fit him? I have been looking around and the largest selection I have found thus far is from kartingwarehouse.com

Can anyone recommend a local or better online place or at the least another option?

Jacob Mitchell

Post by Jacob Mitchell » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:55 am

Well I think half of the battle is done as far as the kart and gear is concerned. Picked this one up last night which I had found local and been in contact with the owner. Seems he had the same intentions as I do however his son didnt take to it as he had hoped he would. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be meeting many of you. This is supposed to be for his birthday in May however not real sure I will be able to hold off on letting him have it until then plus keeping it hidden wont be an easy task unless its at a friends house or kept at the shop.

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 am

Awesome!