Kid Kart DQ

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Kenny Brown
The master poster
Kid Kart DQ

Post by Kenny Brown » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am

We had a very exciting first race of the season today and plenty of action in the Kid Karts. More karts today than any race last year.

Kade ran well and finished 2nd. We were torn down as part of the top 2 and were DQ'ed due to timing being out of tolerance (retarded by 3 degrees). This motor has passed teardown twice before and I worked with Rick to find the issue. Nothing was obvious to either he or I (legal flywheel, unaltered keyway, black coil). The coil did have a different model number than his spec's, so we are both checking to see if that is the issue.

I want to apologize to the other racer's and Dad's that were there today. We had some first time racer's and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression of us or this class. I would never do anything to taint the hard work Kade does at practice and nothing was done to intentionally gain an advantage. We will not run this motor again unless we can determine the cause of the issue and it can pass tech.

We appreciate the effort Rick gives every race day to keep a level playing field and will continue to work to make sure our equipment falls within the rules.

Charlie Lofland
Rookie Poster

Re: Kid Kart DQ

Post by Charlie Lofland » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 am

CHEATER!! Lol

I know Kenny personally, and fact is he works hard to stay with the rules. Never in a million years would anyone believe you'd do this intentionally. With as many long straights at the track going backwards on the timing would not be a good thing. I think that would make you the worst cheater ever.

Anyway, Kades hard work has definately paid off as seen in his lap times. You guys keep working hard. When you get some time I'll come by the "Brown Racing" shop and we'll figure the timing out. I'd like to check Nico's also.

Charlie & NIcolas #24

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm

I'd like to second that. Kenny prides himself in always wanting to follow the rules, and I would never acuse him of cheating. Kenny is one of the good guys. :D

All of you kid kart parents should be proud of yourselves. I saw some extremely fast racing yesterday from your kids. I am amazed at how fast they are now. I'm almost afraid to put my daughter out there now, given on how slow she would be compared to the kids that started just one short year ago.

Alan Moore

Post by Alan Moore » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 am

i wouldnt think they'd penalize you for making the kart slower.good news is you might of just found a few new 10ths.

i was out there with the kids for a bit sunday meant to stop and chat but the kids lost attention, had to leave. i should be out there on the 17th.

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:00 am

Charlie and I spent 3 hours working on 3 different engines and could not get the timing on any of them to move by more than 0.001". With the stock unmodified key, I can't find a way to gain the timing we need. We can legaly add 0.020" and that would be a huge boost on these little motors.

What's confusing is the engine was running great, hitting over 11,000 RPM's all day. If the timing was out whack that much, it should have been a lot slower.

Still working on what the issue is.

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Lots of phone calls to engine builders last week to try to find out what we were doing wrong. I don't have all the answers, but I'll share what I've learned.

Our engine was .003" advanced, not retarded. You don't read the gauge numbers, you read the thousands it moves since you are turning the engine counterclockwise. 2 of the 3 engines Charlie and I took apart and put back together had the timing within the tolerances using the keyway as a guide. All were consistant in the readings.

The engine we are having trouble with was consistant as well. We used 3 different stock keyways and they all yielded the same results.

I finally tried setting the timing using the dial indicator with the nut loose. I had been using an 12V impact wrench to tighten the flywheel nut, but hand tightened Friday night. We went out Saturday and it came loose in 2 laps.

I don't think you can (and I won't from now on) assume the timing is correct from using the stock keyway to set up the timing. I will always use a dial indicator. I won't race this motor until I can figure out a way to keep it in time.

If anyone has any questions on setting the timing or wants use our dial indicator, please let me know. I also have a buret for measuring the head CC's.

John Rucker
Rookie Poster

Post by John Rucker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 pm

I know the pride, dedication, hard work and level of integrity that goes into your racing.
That is a disapointing situation that could unintentionally happen to any of us I think.
As good as it is to know Rick makes every effort to keep an even playing field. It is equally
disapointing your attention to detail could end up in an obvious mechanical issue beyond anyones control.
Sorry to hear it and once it is sorted maybe you can give us a hand to check ours.
See you soon,
John and Brandon
RUCKER RACING

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Post by Kenny Brown » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 am

I finally got it figured out and have both motors in spec. I can't believe how much time and effort it took to get the timing right. We are running the spare motor this weekend and I'm bringing the DQ motor out for tech to check before we run it. If anyone wants to come by the trailer, I'll show you that it is in tolerance.