New timer here with a first Kart for the kids and questions!

Kid Karter Topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Shawn Cowan
New timer here with a first Kart for the kids and questions!

Post by Shawn Cowan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Hello,

New guy, name is Shawn and I just joined up here. Just purchased a 50cc Komer Kid Kart for my 4 year old son (5 in March) and my 7 year old daughter. I am a very serious track guy with lots of experience and I currently instruct for Chin Motorsports, PBOC and PCA Events. What I have no clue about is how to get my kids started lol. The kart is in pretty great shape. I ordered a K1 suit and Gloves, a Vega helmet, neck brace and rib protector. I am a pretty nervous parent so I want to make sure I prepare properly for the event in Fort Myers in 2 weeks. I am debating on letting only my 7 year old try it out at first. We have been practicing on the street with the gas and brake and low speed turning. She is a great listener and catches on quick. It makes me nervous when the Kart gets up and going... Its seems to get to some pretty serious speeds. (I sat on the back of the seat and went around the block with her)
I am open to suggestions from anyone who is willing to give it.
I am not going with the intention of her racing straight away. I would hope she could just run practice sessions for a while.
photo copy.JPG
Main questions are.
What is the best way to adjust one Kart between 2 kids (Pedals etc)
Best 2 stroke oil to use?
How do I slow it down?

Big thanks and look forward to meeting everyone!

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Re: New timer here with a first Kart for the kids and questi

Post by Kenny Brown » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:07 am

Welcome Shawn. Most kids get bored after the second ride around the parking lot. A great thing about joining the club is getting to practice anytime you want. I always (and still do) stress safety to my son Kade. I worked on brakes in the parking lot by jumping in front of him. His first dozen times at the track, either racing or practicing, braking and making smart decisions around other karts were all we talked about. "Drive smart" is the last thing I tell him before he goes out.

Let them get some practice at the track by themselves a couple of times, then get some other kids out there. That's where they really start making progress, being around the other kids on the track.

I can't tell if you have been to our track, but try to come out this weekend if you can.

I talked to another Dad looking for a first Kid Kart and now has the next younger brother wanting to race. I told him to look for 2 Karts and you may bneed another one. That's the easier than switching pedals and seats you know!

Kenny Brown
The master poster

Re: New timer here with a first Kart for the kids and questi

Post by Kenny Brown » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:11 am

I also put a throttle stop on so he was only getting to half throttle for the first couple rides. I gradually opened it up during his first 2 races.