Projects for volunteers

This is a discussion board to post new ideas and resource projects

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Scott Boone
The master poster
Projects for volunteers

Post by Scott Boone » Tue May 20, 2008 3:14 pm

It is always nice to know there are members lining up to tackle outstanding tasks. Assuming that is the case, I want to mention several pending tasks that I personally believe need resources and funds to complete:

Safety - we had a lot of commentary regarding track safety. We also had several members walk the track on our work day and document potential safety concerns. They also worked to reposition tires and various other things. This was a very good effort to address potential concerns. This same group needs to communicate any concerns or suggestions to the board if they require funding or involve modifying GCKI property. If the suggestions require labor or process to resolve, they should organize resources and make the changes. One thing that they mentioned to me was a desire to get more tires. Alex had twice the number of tires available but we have never had anyone volunteer to go pick them up. This would be a great project for volunteers.

Front Gate - the East gate is spectacular thanks to the effort of Brian Traw and Aquajet but the West gate is now gone. It has been in need of repair for over a year and rodney couldnt get his rig on the property without removing it. As a result, I used the fork lift and pulled it out of the ground. We need a volunteer to manage the construction or contract of a 30 foot wide industrial gate that opens back against the fence. This is needed to secure and protect our property.

Track repair - We need to order a pallet of additional Rhino grip for several areas of the track. The materials need to be ordered and received at someones house then taken to the track and applied to the high traffic areas. This materials will protect our track and make it more fun to race on. I now have experience to know what to do and what not to do so I would be happy to volunteer in an advisory role.

Lights - someone needs to draw up a plan to erect light poles along the runners and install light standards and lights near the track. I layed conduit under the track to run lights but the design needs to be completed and priced. This is a big job and will take serious resources to figure all this out. Cost is a major concern. We have heard several people talk about renting lights. This is okay but they will have to be trucked in because they have to be back early monday. This will require a lot of effort to make this happen.

Grass - we planted grass seed two weeks back and had rain after we planted. We are still struggling to get this grass to grow as fast as we need it to. Someone needs to call Hydromulch and see what the cost is and if we decide we can afford it, we should have it applied. This project is a few phone calls away but someone needs to take the time to get it done and manage till completion.

Scales - I personally liked where we had the scales this weekend and I also liked how we had tech outside the fence but seperated by temporary fencing. We used this area as originally designed . Another project that Rick and I discussed is to pave a new exit from the track in concrete that parallels our current exit but goes to within 3 feet of the east west fence near the bleachers. The new drive would then turn around the corner and enter the scales. This would open our current track entrance up for those entering the track and the new track exit would safely hold 15 or so additional karts. This would get all karts exiting the track safely off the racing line and could be used for both cw and ccw directions. This is a project that requires management, dollars and time to make happen.

Intercom - we need someone to mount our speakers to the outside of the building. We also need to get a new speaker over the bleachers.

Beacher Covers - We have a large 20 x 40 cover that used to be mounted over our bleachers. It was dissassembled and moved besides the pump house. Someone could get a group to reassemble this cover over our bleacher to give our spectators cover.

Additional pit grading and materials - the drainage was good but we still need some additional crushed concrete and fill to move the water away from our pit runners and the club house. This takes phone calls and trips to the track to be sure the dirt is dropped in the correct places and the grade is correct.

Signage - we met and designed signage for the pit area and the hot grid. Eddie had the signs quoted but we delayed printing the signs because at the time we didnt have enough money in the bank to pay the bill. We need to revisit this project and get these signs made and installed. Eddie?

Management of points - I decided to process points since I was not satisfied with the rate we had been processing this information. I cant say I did any better than anyone else. Someone with more time than me should take this task on and own it. Volunteers?

Website management - I believe we should move management of our website offsite. GCKI has struggled to manage the site over the years and Yaani Mai in Dallas has offered to rework it and manage it for a fee. I want to get the site moved and professionally maintained.

This list is still long but I can assure you much shorter than a year ago and this list is only my opinion of priorities. I am sure our 150 members also have their own lists and their own priorities. Regardless, we have a lot to do and it will all take time. GCKI is only limited by our funds and the willingness of our membership to get involved and manage these projects. What Rick said is absolutely correct. We are certainly not limited by our desire to improve the property or to act on all our good ideas.

Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Post by Eddie Ilavia » Tue May 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Sign me up for the signage Judi and I have this info so let me know who we need to speak with to bring this to closure

I will try to talk with Brian on the lighting and get back to this forum with info as it becomes relevant.

Thanks for setting this up on the forum and come on guys lez go and get these things going!
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports

Eric Meservey
The master poster

Projects

Post by Eric Meservey » Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 am

Sign me up for the website, and points management. I'll need some OJT to get me started with the points, but I'm sure I can handle it.

Eric Meservey

Scott Boone
The master poster

Post by Scott Boone » Wed May 21, 2008 3:22 pm

Excellent! I will forward you the info tonight. Thanks eric.

Tomie Gonzalez

Re: Scale

Post by Tomie Gonzalez » Wed May 28, 2008 11:25 pm

Boone,
Count me in on the new exit project. I have produced a line CAD drawing (sketch) of our facility that can be used to plan this project. :idea: If you would like to review the CAD drawing email me @ tomieg@designtechnic.com and I will reply with a atth.

Scott Boone
The master poster

This weekend

Post by Scott Boone » Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 pm

I plan to buy an 18 foot gate at TSC this weekend and install it at the track for the west gate. I want to set the poles Friday night and install the gate Sunday. If you want to help please post. Garrett and I will be at the track all weekend tuning the tag.

I sent some autocad dwgs of the track to lighting companies and they are working on some proposals for lights. I expect the cost to be $100 k or more for what we need so be prepared.

Scott