Transponder Mounting

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Paul Flores
The master poster
Transponder Mounting

Post by Paul Flores » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Going through the checklist, after being a member for a year, I'm FINALLY coming out for my first GCKI event!

There is a general rule/check list item that states:
'Transponder mounted behind seat and properly secured per WKA'

I'm having a hard time figuring out what that means EXACTLY. I have found other references to this, indicating that the transponder should be centered on the seat, no lower than 9" from the ground, but nothing detailing how it should be mounted to the seat.

Anyone want to throw me a bone here? Is zip tying the mount bracket to the seat going to be 'good enough', or is there a magical mystical procedure I need to follow?

I'm not going to make weight for TAG Masters, so looks like I will be running in the Senior class! Cant wait, the new track was fun the little bit I practiced on it before!

Greg Dundas
The master poster

Post by Greg Dundas » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 am

Ziptying it is fine, but the transponder does need to be located behind the driver at the rear of the seat. I'm looking forward to this weekend, should be a great race day.

Rob Brown
The master poster

Re: Transponder Mounting

Post by Rob Brown » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:41 am

Reviving this thread. I am planing on racing the next race so I cant get a WKA rules book (3 week delivery) in time. Is this 9 inches off the ground on the back of the seat still the correct location? Ive already mounted it in the wrong place if so.

Rob Brown
The master poster

Post by Rob Brown » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 am

I find this from a WKA 2010 MANUFACTURER’S CUP SERIES REGULATIONS

212.6 TRANSPONDER MOUNTING: Transponders are to be mounted safely on the kart and located no less then 9” to the rear of the centerline of the top of kingpin leading edge of transponder.

So its not 9 inches off the ground its no less than nine inches from the kingpin center line back to the leading edge of the the transponder? I have mine mounted on the left side of the seat just around the corner from the back. Will this pass tech inspection? It is more than 9 inches to the rear of the kingpin center line on the left of the kart.

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 am

Rob,

For the most part, GCKI's rules are in line with SKUSA's and not WKA's rules.

From 2013 SKUSA:

20.2.7.9 Transponder Location: Transponder shall be mounted 12-
15 inches behind the center of the top of the left kingpin to the
leading edge of the transponder on the left side pod. CIK
position on back of seat at a height of 25cm +/- 5cm is also
acceptable.

I have my transponder mounted at the rear of my seat. It is held on with zip ties. If you are concerned, come early on Sunday, bring a drill, and find me (kart #26T in TaG Masters). I'll be happy to help you find a good mounting point.

Patrick

Rob Brown
The master poster

Post by Rob Brown » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 am

It says on the entry form under general, "A Transponder mounted behind seat and properly secured per WKA rules" I am using the mount that came with the transponder so that it can easily be removed for charging. I already have holes drilled on the back and on the side to hold the mounting bracket. I would prefer it to be mounted on the side of the seat, I just want to know if it will pass tech on the side or do I need to move it to my back mounting location.

Thanks for your assistance Patrick

I guess Ill just use the SKUSA rear seat mounting and make yet a third set of mounting holes in my seat. LOL Shame on me for not clarifying before drilling...

Rob Brown
The master poster

Post by Rob Brown » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 am

I also see that it says "race gas only, no pump fuel" under general while the chonda class rules state pump gas only. I assume that the rules trump the entry form on this matter and 87 octane pump fuel is what is run in the chonda class.

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 am

You are correct, Chonda runs pump gas while all others run race fuel...

In my opinion, if you already have a mounting location drilled go ahead and leave it. I've seen people mount transponders just about everywhere on the kart without issue so don't worry about it. It might not hurt to ask the tech inspector in the morning (which you have to go through before registration anyway) just to make sure but I really doubt he would have an issue.

Patrick

Rob Brown
The master poster

Post by Rob Brown » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks for your help Patrick. Looking forward to Sunday. Ive been practicing all month so at least I wont be totally lost on the track. LOL

Austin Hunter
The master poster

Post by Austin Hunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:22 am

I feel like the only way people would complain about the location in your kart is if you beat them by inches and they notice it is illegally ahead of yours
Austin Hunter
27T Briggs LO206
2013 Sodi World Series
National Champion

Rob Brown
The master poster

Post by Rob Brown » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:14 am

I doubt Ill have to worry about that happening, at least for awhile. LOL

Brian LaBarbera
The master poster

Post by Brian LaBarbera » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:50 pm

I have noticed that this rule is very loosely enforced. Sometimes I see them mounted under the steering wheel, or on the side pod. I went out once with 2 transponders on my kart, one behind the seat and one under my steering wheel and my times were different.

I also get different times between my hardwired transponder and a portable charging kind too. Enough to make a big difference in qualifying.

I put my behind my seat, zip tied to the chair bracket. But those with them on their side pod or in front are definitely getting an advantage in qualifying. Minimal of course, but it helps.