Tire wear issues

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Robert Chambers
Tire wear issues

Post by Robert Chambers » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 pm

We are in our first year in the 206 cadet class so my kart knowledge is very limited. I have an Alpha Storm cadet chassis and am having major tire wear issues or at least I think I am. I am getting wear on the inside of the rears to the wear indicator holes in one or two practice sessions. The outside of the tires look almost new. I have been told the axle was too soft so I have replaced the rear axle with what PKT recommend as a way stiffer axle than the stock but still have the same problem. From what I have heard some of this can be expected but this is pretty extreme.My kid runs 50& high 49sec times as of now and I'm seeing karts that are way faster running the same tires with even wear way longer. Is this chassis that soft or something else? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Re: Tire wear issues

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 am

there could be a number of reasons, but most if not all are easy to fix. If you want some great input and advice, especially with the Alpha chassis, set a side some time and speak with Joe Bauhs nat the next race. On Race weekends, he's usually at the track on Saturdays and Sunday, but Sunday's can be a bit hectic.